Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TRUTH ?  (Read 2720 times)

Johann

TRUTH ?
« on: February 05, 2012, 02:22:28 AM »

Memories from my early childhood include how I started learning certain new words in church. It seems to me there was never a meeting announced in church that my parents did not attend and brought me along. In addition to that there were also many private assemblies, Bible study groups, etc, where our absence was unthinkable.

A very important word used in many of these convocations was the word TRUTH, so that word became an important word to me in my early vocabulary. As I grew older the word developed different meanings, depending on where it was used. Truth was no longer just truth, but there was also "real truth", and "super truth". Gradually it dawned on me that there is also "presumed truth", and then I discovered how some people used the word as a "camouflage" and even as a "weapon" to hide their ignorance of the truth.

Some of you may have heard me use this story: Many years ago I worked for a great contractor at Berrien Springs together with students and others associated with our church. One of these preferred discovering his own truths apart from the college. One day he came to work overwhelmed with the new truth he had discovered, that there was a great blessing in celebrating the birthday of Creation on March 21. I asked him how he had discovered that "truth". It was evident, he claimed, because that was when spring and summer started, so that must be the time when God created the world. He also referred to a document he had from some "group".

Then I mentioned that this is the date when fall starts in all of the countries south of Equator, so I asked him if God had created the southern or northern hemisphere six months before or after? He said he hadn't thought of that. He kept working, but was unusually quiet for a couple of hours. Then suddenly he exclaimed, "Soak your head, I'm leaving!"

When I saw his girlfriend some days later she hadn't seen him either since that day. Our boss was looking for him to pay him his last salary. I wonder where he went? Was it my fault he disappeared? I never saw him after that.

Since then I have been rather apprehensive when I have met people who decorate themselves or hide behind the term "truth". They also seem rather vulnerable when they collide with truth and it forces them to silences.

I welcome your comment - or attempt to prove me wrong!

tinka

• Veteran Member
Re: TRUTH ?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 07:39:00 AM »

Hi Johann,
Truth only comes to people that can reason outside their self.  One has to look at all possibilities and facts to the best of their ability. Also, trust no man read and see for your self reason all sides. Be open minded, except criticism and a person really looking for truth - listens. But make sure all truths if possible to know are for real. Then debate to see where all is wrong or right. and mostly ask God to let you see all Truth in matters in His and our neighbors. I do not think that God is up sincere wants of truth to believe a lie. We can only search.
I've been waiting on a different thread for some answers and --nothing

It's been a very hard long year but God knows all! Yet the memory is only yesterday and today. (smile) I have been trying to follow along with all posts.

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 01:38:16 AM »

Yes Tinka, "truth" is a matter of perception. Yet truth is the most pure aspects of purity. In fact it IS purity. As such, it is utterly alien and the polarized opposite to truth in both politics and religion.

Johann

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 05:22:28 AM »

Gean Constantinescu Draget
You can take truth and smash it to powder, you can burn it down to ashes and let the wind take it, you can bury it beneath lies, you can hide it behind counterfeits, you can drown it with fear or choke it with flattery, you can chop it in a thousand pieces and feed it to dogs, but it will always resurrect. You can not kill truth.

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 11:26:04 PM »

And it behooves us to remember that the greatest enemy to truth is strongly held conviction.
Pages: [1]   Go Up