Theology Category > Doctrinal Discussions

The Everlasting Covenant

<< < (2/9) > >>

Fair Havens:
Thank you Hakim. This newborn really desires the sincere the sincere milk.

How does this fit with God's promise of land to Abraham or of Moses receiving the Tablets. Those were covenants too weren't they?

Hakim:
Fair Havens,

Each time the covenant was renewed, God made promises. These promises were often different, unique. On this basis many have felt that there were a number of covenants that God made with men.

When Adam sinned, he chose to serve another "god," in this case Satan. Adam lost the dominion of this earth to Satan. Satan now had legal control as "Prince of this world."

Remember Genesis 2:17?  "In the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."  Some have read this as meaning "dying thou shalt die."  This is OK, and it fits what we observe -- people started to get old and to die from that time.

However, there was something else:  Before the sun set that day, Jesus Christ came and brought the guilty pair into the covenant (Genesis 3:15). "I will put enmity between thee (Satan) and the woman (mankind)."  Mankind would be given a conscience, an innate feeling for what was right. They would not be helpless before Satan.

But did Jesus have a right to intervene and take away Satan's prize? NO! Except, He also gave the promise of the Sin Bearer who would buy back all that was lost in Eden. "It shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel."  He could do so only through suffering, but Sin and Satan would eventually be completely destroyed. This is what is called "prolepsis", acting as if a future event has already occurred.

It is from the sacrifice of Jesus on Calvary that all promises and blessings to mankind flow. The focus of the covenant is Jesus Christ and His sacrifice on Calvary. Without His sacrifice, there is no covenant. With His sacrifice, by faith, God was free to intervene with promises and blessings to Abraham, Israel, to David and Solomon, and with the New Covenant in Jeremiah.

This is a lot to swallow all at once.  Please feel free to ask questions and make comments.
--------------------------
Hubert F. Sturges

Johann:
And I encourage you to continue these interesting presentations.

Fair Havens:

--- Quote from: Hakim on February 12, 2008, 09:23:55 AM ---The Council in Heaven

Now that we understand that the Godhead is made up of three persons – the Father, Son and Holy Ghost, ... .
-------------------------
Hakim

--- End quote ---

In reading the New Testament I have noticed that the Apostle Paul in many of his letters to the various churches often begins by invoking(?) God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. [e.g.  1Cor 1:3; 11Cor 1:2; Gal 1:3; Eph. 1:2.] He does not mention the Holy Spirit at all in those instances. I have wondered why he does not mention the Holy Spirit. Why
this inconsistency? What then, is the role of the Holy Spirit in the Covenant? So much is still unclear to me.

Hakim:
Fair Havens,

If things are still unclear to you that is good!  I am a third generation SDA, went through all our schools through medical school, and some things are still unclear to me! The basic truths of the Gospel are simple and easy to understand. Children can understand what is needed. Uneducated natives overseas can understand salvation truth.  However, having said that, it is important for each person to understand as much about the Bible as his mind can understand. If a "PhD" has only a 4th grade understanding of the Bible, he will be deceived on Evolution as well as on other things.

So, If you recognize that you are unclear, and if you are still studying you are in good company.  Just stay with it.

About the Holy Spirit: I too have noticed that the Holy Spirit is not talked about as much as the Father and the Son. In fact, in the Council in Heaven when the covenant was established, nothing is said about the Holy Spirit. God does not make mistakes. Something like this is done on purpose. I will propose an idea (admitting that I don't really know): God did not intend that we focus on the Holy Spirit except to recognize His work. He knew that the Holy Spirit and His work would be misconstrued in the latter days. Remember in John 3:8 the Holy Spirit is likened to the wind. You cannot see Him, but you can see the effects of His work in the lives of people.
------------------------
Hubert F. Sturges

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version