Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: February 24, 2012 - Tommy Shelton - Fairfax County VA Court Docket  (Read 12396 times)

JustWondering

The Fairfax County Circuit Court Clerk's Office has provided the following information.

Tommy Shelton appeared before Judge Brett A. Kassabian on Wednesday, January 18, 2012, and entered "Alford Pleas" to each of the four counts of the indictment in case # FE-2010-0001987 relative to allegations brought by DT.  The first two counts were amended from Carnal Knowledge to Crime Against Nature and thus the pleas were:
Count I      Crime Against Nature            Alford Plea Entered
Count II     Crime Against Nature            Alford Plea Entered
Count III    Custodial Indecent Liberties   Alford Plea Entered
Count IV   Custodial Indecent Liberties   Alford Plea Entered

The three other cases [FE-2010-0000786, FE-2010-0000787 and FE-2010-0001988] were all dropped (nolle prosequi).  This action included all charges arising out of allegations by AW.

Judge Kassabian scheduled sentencing for Tommy Shelton for Friday, February 24, revoked bond and remanded him to the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/circuitcourtdocket/Default.aspx
Party/Attorney Name, Case Number, Courtroom, Date/Time, Hearing Type

Shelton, Tommy, FE-2010-0001987, [blank]  , 2/24/2012, 10:00:00 AM, Report and Sentencing - Morning

Irving, Kimberly, FE-2010-0001987, [blank] , 2/24/2012 10:00:00 AM, Report and Sentencing - Morning

Stott, Katherine, FE-2010-0001987, [blank] , 2/24/2012 10:00:00 AM, Report and Sentencing - Morning

GRAT

Re: February 24, 2012 - Tommy Shelton - Fairfax County VA Court Docket
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 08:02:57 AM »

Is this a "set in stone" event or can he suddenly get "sick" and have it rescheduled?

Johann

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 08:11:28 AM »

This indicates there will only be a report and then the sentence, in other words how long he will be in custody?

JustWondering

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 08:16:19 AM »

From http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+TOC
§ 18.2-361. Crimes against nature; penalty.

A. If any person carnally knows in any manner any brute animal, or carnally knows any male or female person by the anus or by or with the mouth, or voluntarily submits to such carnal knowledge, he or she shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony, except as provided in subsection B.

B. Any person who performs or causes to be performed cunnilingus, fellatio, anilingus or anal intercourse upon or by his daughter or granddaughter, son or grandson, brother or sister, or father or mother is guilty of a Class 5 felony. However, if a parent or grandparent commits any such act with his child or grandchild and such child or grandchild is at least 13 but less than 18 years of age at the time of the offense, such parent or grandparent is guilty of a Class 3 felony.

C. For the purposes of this section, parent includes step-parent, grandparent includes step-grandparent, child includes step-child and grandchild includes step-grandchild.
(Code 1950, § 18.1-212; 1960, c. 358; 1968, c. 427; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1977, c. 285; 1981, c. 397; 1993, c. 450; 2005, c. 185.)

§ 18.2-370.1. Taking indecent liberties with child by person in custodial or supervisory relationship; penalties.

A. Any person 18 years of age or older who, except as provided in § 18.2-370, maintains a custodial or supervisory relationship over a child under the age of 18 and is not legally married to such child and such child is not emancipated who, with lascivious intent, knowingly and intentionally (i) proposes that any such child feel or fondle the sexual or genital parts of such person or that such person feel or handle the sexual or genital parts of the child; or (ii) proposes to such child the performance of an act of sexual intercourse or any act constituting an offense under § 18.2-361; or (iii) exposes his or her sexual or genital parts to such child; or (iv) proposes that any such child expose his or her sexual or genital parts to such person; or (v) proposes to the child that the child engage in sexual intercourse, sodomy or fondling of sexual or genital parts with another person; or (vi) sexually abuses the child as defined in § 18.2-67.10 (6), shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony.

B. Any person who is convicted of a second or subsequent violation of this section shall be guilty of a Class 5 felony; provided that (i) the offenses were not part of a common act, transaction or scheme; (ii) the accused was at liberty as defined in § 53.1-151 between each conviction; and (iii) it is admitted, or found by the jury or judge before whom the person is tried, that the accused was previously convicted of a violation of this section.
(1982, c. 521; 1986, c. 503; 1991, c. 517; 2001, c. 840; 2005, c. 185.)

§ 18.2-370. Taking indecent liberties with children; penalties.

A. Any person 18 years of age or over, who, with lascivious intent, knowingly and intentionally commits any of the following acts with any child under the age of 15 years is guilty of a Class 5 felony:

(1) Expose his or her sexual or genital parts to any child to whom such person is not legally married or propose that any such child expose his or her sexual or genital parts to such person; or
(2) [Repealed.]

(3) Propose that any such child feel or fondle the sexual or genital parts of such person or propose that such person feel or fondle the sexual or genital parts of any such child; or

(4) Propose to such child the performance of an act of sexual intercourse or any act constituting an offense under §18.2-361; or

(5) Entice, allure, persuade, or invite any such child to enter any vehicle, room, house, or other place, for any of the purposes set forth in the preceding subdivisions of this section.

B. Any person 18 years of age or over who, with lascivious intent, knowingly and intentionally receives money, property, or any other remuneration for allowing, encouraging, or enticing any person under the age of 18 years to perform in or be a subject of sexually explicit visual material as defined in § 18.2-374.1 or who knowingly encourages such person to perform in or be a subject of sexually explicit material; shall be guilty of a Class 5 felony.

C. Any person who is convicted of a second or subsequent violation of this section shall be guilty of a Class 4 felony; provided that (i) the offenses were not part of a common act, transaction or scheme; (ii) the accused was at liberty as defined in § 53.1-151 between each conviction; and (iii) it is admitted, or found by the jury or judge before whom the person is tried, that the accused was previously convicted of a violation of this section.

D. Any parent, step-parent, grandparent or step-grandparent who commits a violation of either this section or clause (v) or (vi) of subsection A of § 18.2-370.1 (i) upon his child, step-child, grandchild or step-grandchild who is at least 15 but less than 18 years of age is guilty of a Class 5 felony or (ii) upon his child, step-child, grandchild or step-grandchild less than 15 years of age is guilty of a Class 4 felony.
(Code 1950, §§ 18.1-213 through 18.1-215; 1960, c. 358; 1973, c. 131; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1979, c. 348; 1981, c. 397; 1986, c. 503; 2000, c. 333; 2001, cc. 776, 840; 2005, cc. 185, 762.)

I am not sure if § 18.2-370 or § 18.2-370.1 would apply to the Tommy Shelton case.  The default for custodial or supervisory relationship would be 370.1.  However, if under the age of 15, 370 may apply.

Count I    Crime Against Nature            Class 6 Felony         
Count II   Crime Against Nature            Class 6 Felony
Count III  Custodial Indecent Liberties   Class 5 or 6 Felony
Count IV   Custodial Indecent Liberties   Class 5 or 6 Felony

Per the Exhibit 1 on page 5 of the http://vscc.virginia.gov/reports/Sex_Offender_Task_Force_Report.pdf

Class 5 Felony          1-10 Years or 12 months in jail, Up to $2,500
Class 6 Felony          1-5 Years or 12 months in jail, Up to $2,500

If all of the charges are "Class 6 Felony", the sentence should be 4-20 years or 48 months in jail, Up to $10,000.

If the "Class 5 Felony" section applies, the sentence should be 4-30 years or 48 months in jail, Up to $10,000.

This is just my unprofessional interpretation of the Virginia code.  I could be wrong, but I could be right.

Johann

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 08:34:19 AM »

Does this mean at least 4 years in jail? Or could be 30 years? Is there any discount under the Alford plea?

JustWondering

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 03:37:33 PM »

Does this mean at least 4 years in jail? Or could be 30 years? Is there any discount under the Alford plea?
Johann,  The time shown in Years is for Imprisonment in a facility controlled by the Virginia Department of Corrections.  The time shown for jail is for time spent in a local jail.  I do not know all of the details, but found the following in the Code of Virginia at http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-10
§ 18.2-10. Punishment for conviction of felony; penalty.

The authorized punishments for conviction of a felony are:

(e) For Class 5 felonies, a term of imprisonment of not less than one year nor more than 10 years, or in the discretion of the jury or the court trying the case without a jury, confinement in jail for not more than 12 months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both.

(f) For Class 6 felonies, a term of imprisonment of not less than one year nor more than five years, or in the discretion of the jury or the court trying the case without a jury, confinement in jail for not more than 12 months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both.

vestedinterest

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 04:18:02 AM »

Thinking of Dennis and Alex this morning - praying for closure for many people - victims, Tommy's family, church members.... hoping for one cycle to be broken.

Johann

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 04:25:29 AM »

Just a few hours left. Thank you all for your input here to clarify the issue.

Johann

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 06:44:29 AM »

Take a breath and say a prayer for justice.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 10:16:37 AM »

From the docket I counted 30 cases today in courtroom 4G, with 12 of them being for report and sentencing. Doesn't give a lot of time per case, does it?

The word I got a little bit ago was that because of the full docket, Tommy had not yet been sentenced.

Anyone know if Kenny, Tammy, Ronnie, Danny, and/or Yvonne are there to give Tommy and his family moral support?

I assume Brad would be there, wouldn't he?

Alex L. Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 10:25:53 AM »

Sources tell me ALL of Tommy's family is present. I am working to confirm that.
Alex L. Walker
"When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on."~ Thomas Jefferson

JustWondering

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 10:31:44 AM »

From the docket I counted 30 cases today in courtroom 4G, with 12 of them being for report and sentencing. Doesn't give a lot of time per case, does it?

The word I got a little bit ago was that because of the full docket, Tommy had not yet been sentenced.

Anyone know if Kenny, Tammy, Ronnie, Danny, and/or Yvonne are there to give Tommy and his family moral support?

I assume Brad would be there, wouldn't he?
I heard that at the last "Report and Sentencing" (11/12/2010) only his wife was there.  That was the time the judge rejected the previous plea deal.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 10:36:00 AM »

I can't confirm the following, but I am told that all of Tommy's family is there (at least his wife and two daughters), the hearing is going on now, and we could have a decision within half an hour to an hour.

But when you get info that is already secondhand, it is hard to know for sure what is going on.

Johann

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 11:57:42 AM »

That was three hours ago. Is the line to Fairfax broken?

I can't confirm the following, but I am told that all of Tommy's family is there (at least his wife and two daughters), the hearing is going on now, and we could have a decision within half an hour to an hour.

But when you get info that is already secondhand, it is hard to know for sure what is going on.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 12:12:57 PM »

The word I've just gotten is that Tommy was sentenced to 6 years. My guess is that that is accurate, but I don't know for sure. Assuming that that was the sentence he received:

The earliest victim I've talked to dates from around 1982. I seem to recall that someone has alleged that something happened in the 1970's as well. At any rate, using the 1982 figure, after 30 years, Tommy got 6 years.

Almost 9 years after Glenn Dryden brought the issue to 3ABN Board chairman Walt Thompson's attention in May 2003, Tommy got 6 years.

Over 5 years after we blew the whistle on Danny's coverup of the child molestation allegations against Tommy, Tommy got 6 years.

I have no idea when he would be eligible for parole.

Wonder how the Danny defenders are going to spin this one. Over on WikiPedia one of them lied and said that Save-3ABN.com could be why Tommy was arrested, if I recall correctly. While Alex came forward because of Save-3ABN.com's material, Tommy is heading for the pen because of someone who had already come forward before we ever blew the whistle.

The Danny defenders should abandon the spin and instead pursue truth, justice, and morality.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:23:28 PM by Bob Pickle »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up