Theology Category > Doctrinal Discussions

Understanding the 144,000 versus the Great Multitude.

<< < (3/4) > >>

tinka:
Now we are safe to correctly believe When Rev 14 now concludes without doubt the 144,000. It tells that John looked and saw that company standing on Mt Sion with the Lamb having the Father's name written in their foreheads and what they are doing.  The voices were as many waters and a great thunder of harpers harping with their harps. They were singing a new song before the throne that no other could learn as they were redeemed from the earth. They were redeemed from among men being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb. The lamb is now mentioned because the sacrificed has now happened. And these have ascended to heaven to be presented to the Father and the rest of description of their work also stated in rest of chapter. How much plainer can this be naming who the 144,000 are???  Now how did this topic come to years of confusion and hush hush from the SDA. EGW knew and was shown the 144,000 already there in the temple because Jesus took them already home to the Father at his Ascention. EGW in vision wanted to go there but not allowed.
It was never important to know who individually they were-as soon we would know. But it was proof of the future resurrection is truth and would happen and Christ asking the father for them to be with him where he was also.  I love this story and this conclusion. For the whole story read chapter "first fruits" in Selected messages.  I now do not have to worry if I can make that number. I just pray that I will be "with" that number as they help bring in the multitude along with those who have fallen asleep in the 3 angels message era that their works also follow them. 

tinka:
Here is the clencher of fact.
Rev 7:13
And one of the elders answered, saying unto me, What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and whence came they? And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest.  And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. Therefore are they before the throne of God and serve him day and night in his temple: and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them... Notice it does not say that the 144,000 comes out of the great time of trouble that our time will have..

Dedication:
Interesting subject,
and yes there are various understandings concerning the matter.

Here is another understanding.

-- The 144,000 are those who go through the shifting/shaking time and remain faithful.   They receive the latter rain and in its power give the last loud cry or message to the world.

-- The great multitude are the ones that respond to the loud cry.  They come from every tribe and nation, they too come out of the great endtime tribulation and wash their robes in the blood of the Lamb.

Dedication:
So lets look at this a little closer:

-- The 144,000 are those who go through the shifting/shaking time and remain faithful.   They receive the latter rain and in its power give the last loud cry or message to the world.

First read the chapter in Early Writings beginning on page 269 called the shaking.

In that chapter we see the church being brought to decision by the straight testimony.  Some are agonizing in prayer, others are careless.  The careless ones are shaken out, while those agonizing in prayer "gain the victory" with " deep repentance" truly receiving the straight testimony to Laodicea and obey it and are purified.

"...and they were clothed with an armor from their head to their feet. They moved in exact order, like a company of soldiers. Their countenances expressed the severe conflict which they had endured, the agonizing struggle they had passed through. Yet their features, marked with severe internal anguish, now shone with the light and glory of heaven."
"...I heard those clothed with the armor speak forth the truth with great power. It had effect. Many had been bound; some wives by their husbands, and some children by their parents. The honest who had been prevented from hearing the truth now eagerly laid hold upon it.
"... "It is the latter rain, the refreshing from the presence of the Lord, the loud cry of the third angel."
"...Great power was with these chosen ones. ...

Do a study on
--the shaking
--the loud cry
Before the loud cry can sound God must have a cleansed people -- a remnant --
Just like at Pentecost a small group praying and seeking the Lord (120 in number) were filled with the Holy Spirit before giving their "loud cry" to the world and winning a "multitude" in many nations.  So God's remnant must be cleansed and filled with the Holy Spirit before the loud cry will be given.

They are the only ones who can sing the song of Moses and of the Lamb, for it is the song of their experience -- not only of their own personal salvation -- many others will sing of God's salvation as well, but Moses and the Lamb were willing to give everything for the salvation of others. 
The 144,000, purified from sin and filled with the Holy Spirit,   will risk everything to proclaim the last "loud cry" to world on the edge of eternity.

It will enrage the wicked to deadly fury.
There is no question -- these live in the end time for they are not fooled by the mark of the beast, they live through the great tribulation such as never was described in Daniel 12 as taking place just before the second coming -- not the 1260 years of tribulation.  This remnant  "  be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever."

Dedication:
Looking at the second half of the equation:

-- The great multitude are the ones that respond to the loud cry.  They come from every tribe and nation, they too come out of the great endtime tribulation and wash their robes in the blood of the Lamb

"... I heard voices which seemed to sound everywhere, "Come out of her, my people." . . . The glory of God rested upon the patient, waiting saints, and they fearlessly gave the last solemn warning, proclaiming the fall of Babylon and calling upon God's people to come out of her that they might escape her fearful doom.     The light that was shed upon the waiting ones penetrated everywhere, and those in the churches who had any light, who had not heard and rejected the three messages, obeyed the call and left the fallen churches. {FLB 335}

"...The third angel's message is to lighten the earth with its glory; but only those who have withstood temptation in the strength of the Mighty One will be permitted to act a part in proclaiming it when it shall have swelled into the loud cry.  {HS 155.3}

" I saw that God has honest children among the nominal (Millerite) Adventists and the fallen churches, and before the plagues shall be poured out, ministers and people will be called out from these churches and will gladly receive the truth. Satan knows this; and before the loud cry of the third angel is given, he raises an excitement in these religious bodies, that those who have rejected the truth may think that God is with them.--EW 261 (1858).

"Notwithstanding the spiritual darkness and alienation from God that exist in the churches which constitute Babylon, the great body of Christ's true followers are still to be found in their communion.--GC 390

The great work of the gospel is not to close with less manifestation of the power of God than marked its opening. The prophecies which were fulfilled in the outpouring of the former rain at the opening of the gospel, are again to be fulfilled in the latter rain at its close. . . .  {LDE 203.1}
     Servants of God, with their faces lighted up and shining with holy consecration, will hasten from place to place to proclaim the message from heaven. By thousands of voices, all over the earth, the warning will be given. Miracles will be wrought, the sick will be healed, and signs and wonders will follow the believers.--GC 611, 612

"There will be thousands converted to the truth in a day, who at the eleventh hour see and acknowledge the truth and the movements of the Spirit of God. "Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that the plowman shall overtake the reaper, and the treader of grapes him that soweth seed" [Amos 9:13].  {1888 754.4}

So the 144,000 are represented by the angel of Rev. 18 that gives the loud cry calling God's people (the majority of whom are still in Babylon) to come out!
And while Babylon itself will react with fury and reject the message  -- every honest follower of Christ will respond and come out and fully commit to Christ.  A great multitude will respond.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version