Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pennames  (Read 2955 times)

Gregory

• Veteran Member
Pennames
« on: August 24, 2012, 07:20:30 AM »

The entrance of ancient pagan myths into modern society has interested me for years.  An example of this is the current names for the days of the week.  Most are named after ancient gods--the god of the sun, the moon and other planets, etc.

I also find it interesting to research the pennames that people use in posting on the Internet.  I have posted under pennames at times and prior to doing so I have sometimes researched to see if there ws any mythical background of that name.

The name Ulicia inteerests me.  I have found it to be an Irish name typically given to females.  In the United States, in February 2011, there were ten (10) people living in the U.S. who held that name.  Most of them lived in Georgia.

I also found that the name "Ulicia" is well known to those who play the game "The World of Warcraft:

Sister Ulicia was the leader of the Sisters of the Dark. It was she who masterminded the plot to capture Kahlan Amnell and unleash the Chainfire spell. She was named as the player of the Boxes of Orden and was later claimed by its power, along with six other Sisters of the Dark.

Little is known of the early life of Ulicia; however, it is known that she lived in the walls of the Palace of the Prophets for several centuries, eventually becoming a full Sister of the Light. Sister Ulicia was renowned for her insights into the strange book of prophecy, known as Yanklee's Yarns and became an administrator to the Prelate. However, Ulicia eventually became seduced by the Keeper, and was made the leader of his Sisters of the Dark, directing their activities and covering up the deaths of the young wizard's whose magic they stole.

The Sisters of the Dark were a covert group of sorceresses, sworn to serve the Keeper of the underworld, who secretly lived among the Sisters of the Light pretending to serve the Creator. In return for their loyalty, the Keeper granted them greatly increased powers. The leader of the Sisters of the Dark was Sister Ulicia, who acted as the director of the fallen Sisters much as the Prelate did the Sisters of the Light, though in a much more covert manner. Only Ulicia knew the identities of all the Sisters of the Dark. The Keeper was able to lure many Sisters to join him by giving them promises of immortality and power.
 By joining the ranks of the Keepers minions, the Sisters of the Dark were granted greater power than their own talents as sorceresses. Using a device known as quillion, the Sisters would drain a wizard of his gift and then undergo a dark ceremony, involving a namble. While undergoing this, the Sister would hold the wizards gift within herself and as his essence slipped through the veil to the underworld, she would allow Subtractive essence to seep into her. This gave each Sister, to successfully pass this ceremony, limited use of Subtractive Magic.

Having become a full-fledged Sister of the Light, Ulicia was a powerful sorceress. But this, combined with the fact that she was a Sister of the Dark who had successfully absorbed the male Han and mastered Subtractive Magic was what made her a true force to be reckoned with. She was a master of both sides of the gift and had powers few could imagine. Using both Additive and Subtractive Magic, Ulicia was capable of completely razing huge areas.

Having absorbed the male Han of a wizard Ulicia was capable of casting Wizard's Web and Wizard's Fire.
 She was believed to be the most powerful Sister of the Dark, thus, she was their leader.

Adding to her destructive power was that she had absorbed the male Han. Mixing together both female and male Han created a destructive force far stronger than the sum of its parts.

It should be noted that I do not believe that the above describes anyone who posts in this forum undre the name Ulilcia.

Personally, I consider Ulicia to be:  intelligent, knowledgeable, honest and one who deesires to follow the will of God.  I do not attribute any of the above to the one who posts here under that name.  It issimply that the name interested me and I discovered the above in my research on that name.

I assume that other interesting material could be discovered on other pennames that are used here.

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
Re: Pennames
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 07:58:11 AM »

"Snoopy" remains a mystery, though!!     :puppykisses:

Gregory

• Veteran Member
Re: Pennames
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 09:26:32 AM »

And Snoopy may be a loveable dog.  But, that does not mean that Snoopy is little.

A male English Mastiff can stand 30 inches high and weigh 250 pounds.  A female is a bit smaller.
Pages: [1]   Go Up