Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Are Your Thoughts  (Read 19358 times)

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
Re: What Are Your Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 02:04:26 PM »

Isn't a lie a lie to God no matter what kind of lie it is, or the reason for the lie?

charis

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 04:23:25 PM »

Sometimes you can be so right, that you're wrong...
Charis

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments when he was merely stupid.
~ Heinrich Heine ~

inga

• The Sabbath School Network
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 10:29:36 PM »

Isn't a lie a lie to God no matter what kind of lie it is, or the reason for the lie?
Sort of depends on how you define a "lie." So, what's your definition?
Visit http://ssnet.org The Sabbath School Network to see our new look and much more content. And leave us a message. :)

Johann

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 09:08:02 AM »

Didn´t Solomon claim we are not to be too righteous? (according to some Bible versions)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 09:25:17 AM »

I have often wondered if it is a lie to tell a person that their new hair cut is nice when they ask, but you really think that it doesn't do anything for them.  Any thoughts on that type of lie?

I see no reason to lie or express an opinion that would hurt someone. What is wrong with.........

The hairdresser really did a great job.... Doesn't it make you feel great when you find something you really like......

It seems we work so hard at finding a meaning within that will please us, instead of accepting what is instruucted.
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Knight

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 06:03:53 AM »

The commandment says "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor." Rahab was commended for lying to save the two spies when she hid them from the soldiers at Jericho. She and her entire family were spared as a result of that lie and Rahab was further rewarded by becoming one of the only women named as the ancestors of Jesus Christ and King David.

Johann

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 07:04:00 AM »

Here is the text I referred to above:

Ecclesiastes 7:15-17 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)

Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
[NIV at IBS] [International Bible Society] [NIV at Zondervan] [Zondervan]

15 In this meaningless life of mine I have seen both of these:
       a righteous man perishing in his righteousness,
       and a wicked man living long in his wickedness.

16 Do not be overrighteous,
       neither be overwise—
       why destroy yourself?

17 Do not be overwicked,
       and do not be a fool—
       why die before your time?

inga

• The Sabbath School Network
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 08:40:21 PM »

The commandment says "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor." Rahab was commended for lying to save the two spies when she hid them from the soldiers at Jericho. She and her entire family were spared as a result of that lie and Rahab was further rewarded by becoming one of the only women named as the ancestors of Jesus Christ and King David.
Thank you for your contribution, Knight. :) It is a reminder that all of the Ten Commandments are simply specific applications (to our situation after sin) of the eternal law of self-denying love.

I believe that all of a Christian's actions should be "transparent" as far as possible. But there are situations where sharing the exact facts would endanger someone else's life. In that case, it appears that the law of self-denying love would demand a different course.
Visit http://ssnet.org The Sabbath School Network to see our new look and much more content. And leave us a message. :)

RND

• You are Israel
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2008, 09:17:00 AM »

When the Germans asked the family that was hiding Anne Franks and her family, "Are you hiding any Jews" and they said, "No" were they lying or bearing false witness?

Can we trust God that he knows the difference?

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer, German philosopher (1788 - 1860)

reddogs

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2008, 10:31:31 AM »

I think the question should rather be 'is the lie permittted', as sometimes like in the story of Rahab understanding Gods will and purpose, and she followed it, and God knows the difference. The Anne Frank story that RND brought up is also a good example, I also heard another one of a old Christian that would not lie whose family was hiding Jews. Well the German soldiers come up to him and ask, "Are you hiding any Jews " knowing he was a steadfast Christian that would not lie. His family looked at him holding their breath, knowing he would never lie, dreading his answer as they would all be shot if he revealed their secret. So the old Christian says "There are no Jews hiding in my house" and their hearts skipped a beat. After the soldiers left his family hugged him and thank him for not revealing the secret, and he answered ""Well, I told the truth, there are no Jews hiding in my house, the hidden loft in the barn is another story"..... :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 10:35:59 AM by reddogs »

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2008, 03:18:33 PM »

Rather than start a new topic will use the existing one.
Can anyone define a lie? Is it only a complete deliberate falshood or are there many ways to lie while appearing very pious?

What if I posed a question or topic that made you are uncomfortable or one you didn't want to answer for whatever reason. Instead of addressing what I had actually said, you put the gentle little twist to it and insert and address something I never even hinted at. Are you being truthful.
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Fran

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2008, 11:16:21 PM »

What about in the case of Corrie Ten Boom, if I have both remember and spelled her name correctly, and her book The Hiding Place, when being questioned about Jews being hidden in their home?

What was her response?

Did she lie, or did she say something to the affect, go and see for yourselves?

They did not lie!  When asked where they were hiding the ones they were looking for, Corrie's sister clearly stated they were hiding them under the table!  It was the truth.  There was a trap door, under the rug, under the table.  The "Goons"  looked under the table and figured they were too crazy to be guilty!  They left, but the ladies did not lie!

That is what I remember, but many years have past.  Some one tell the real way it happened.  Young minds see things from different eyes.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up