Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Does Jim Gilley believe that Danny Shelton will "finish the work"?  (Read 31166 times)

childoftheking

Re: Does Jim Gilley believe that Danny Shelton will "finish the work"?
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2011, 02:15:12 PM »

Først senere kom hun med meget klare meldinger.
”Loven er en skolemester, der bringer os til Kristus, så vi kan blive retfærdiggjorte ved tro” (Gal 3,24)
Her i skriften taler Helligånden gennem apostlen specielt om den moralske lov. Loven afslører synd
og får os til at opleve vores behov for Kristus og flygte til ham for tilgivelse og fred gennem
omvendelse til Gud og tro på vores Herre Jesus Kristus.
Uvillighed til at slippe forudfattede meninger og at acceptere denne sandhed, var årsagen til den
store modstand, der kom til udtryk i Minneapolis imod Herrens budbringere brødrene Waggoner og
Jones. Ved at ophidse oppositionen lykkedes det Satan at udelukke - fra vores folk - et stort mål af en
speciel kraft fra Helligånden, som Gud længtes efter at give dem…”16
Derfor gør det ondt, når vi stadig ikke forstår denne lovens funktion. Loven (de ti bud) er en forbandelse for
os, siger Paulus. Ikke fordi loven er ond (Rom 7,12), men fordi jeg er falden. Kun Jesus kan udfri mig fra
denne forbandelse. Lovpris Jesus, som naglede forbandelsens skyldbrev til korset (Gal 3,13; Kol 2,14).
Lovens forbandelse kan ikke mere nå mig – Halleluja!
I næste artikel vil vi undersøge, hvad Paulus siger om loven i lyset af denne nye forståelse: ’At loven i
Galaterbrevet specielt er Guds lov’. 17

Danish to English translation

Only later, she came with very clear messages.
 "The law is a schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, so we can become righteous by faith" (Galatians 3:24)
 Here in the scripture speaks the Holy Spirit through the apostle especially about the moral law. The law reveals sin
 and causes us to experience our need for Christ and flee to Him for forgiveness and peace through
 repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.
 Unwillingness to let go of preconceptions and to accept this truth was the reason for the
 great resistance, expressed in Minneapolis against the Lord's messengers brothers Waggoner and
 Jones. By fomenting opposition succeeded Satan to exclude - from our people - a major goal of a
 special power of the Holy Spirit that God longed to give them ... "16
 Why does it hurt when we still do not understand this law function. Law (the Ten Commandments) is a curse for
 us, says Paul. Not because the law is evil (Romans 7.12), but because I have fallen. Only Jesus can deliver me from
 this curse. Praise Jesus, who nailed curse guilt letter to the Cross (Gal. 3.13; Colossians 2.14).
 Act curse can no longer reach me - Hallelujah!
 In the next article we will examine what Paul says about the law in light of this new understanding: 'The law of
 Galatians specifically the law of God '. 17

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2011, 06:33:44 PM »

Which pages, Johann?

Which pages are you referring to? The author, Lehnart Falk, is in charge of ADRA, Denmark, and he gives the page references to the Danish edition of DS's book. I have no way of giving you a comparison with the original English edition since the pages would not be the same. I was told that the Danish edition is a slight abbreviation where sections only applying to America and/or the KJV were deleted since the KJV is not used in Denmark.

I'm interested in which page numbers of the article quote from and comment upon Danny's book.

Johann

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2011, 12:31:44 AM »

Først senere kom hun med meget klare meldinger.
”Loven er en skolemester, der bringer os til Kristus, så vi kan blive retfærdiggjorte ved tro” (Gal 3,24)
Her i skriften taler Helligånden gennem apostlen specielt om den moralske lov. Loven afslører synd
og får os til at opleve vores behov for Kristus og flygte til ham for tilgivelse og fred gennem
omvendelse til Gud og tro på vores Herre Jesus Kristus.
Uvillighed til at slippe forudfattede meninger og at acceptere denne sandhed, var årsagen til den
store modstand, der kom til udtryk i Minneapolis imod Herrens budbringere brødrene Waggoner og
Jones. Ved at ophidse oppositionen lykkedes det Satan at udelukke - fra vores folk - et stort mål af en
speciel kraft fra Helligånden, som Gud længtes efter at give dem…”16
Derfor gør det ondt, når vi stadig ikke forstår denne lovens funktion. Loven (de ti bud) er en forbandelse for
os, siger Paulus. Ikke fordi loven er ond (Rom 7,12), men fordi jeg er falden. Kun Jesus kan udfri mig fra
denne forbandelse. Lovpris Jesus, som naglede forbandelsens skyldbrev til korset (Gal 3,13; Kol 2,14).
Lovens forbandelse kan ikke mere nå mig – Halleluja!
I næste artikel vil vi undersøge, hvad Paulus siger om loven i lyset af denne nye forståelse: ’At loven i
Galaterbrevet specielt er Guds lov’. 17

Danish to English translation

Only later, she came with very clear messages.
 "The law is a schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, so we can become righteous by faith" (Galatians 3:24)
 Here in the scripture speaks the Holy Spirit through the apostle especially about the moral law. The law reveals sin
 and causes us to experience our need for Christ and flee to Him for forgiveness and peace through
 repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.
 Unwillingness to let go of preconceptions and to accept this truth was the reason for the
 great resistance, expressed in Minneapolis against the Lord's messengers brothers Waggoner and
 Jones. By fomenting opposition succeeded Satan to exclude - from our people - a major goal of a
 special power of the Holy Spirit that God longed to give them ... "16
 Why doesTherefore it hurt when we still do not understand this law function. Law (the Ten Commandments) is a curse for
 us, says Paul. Not because the law is evil (Romans 7.12), but because I have fallen. Only Jesus can deliver me from
 this curse. Praise Jesus, who nailed curse guilt letter to the Cross (Gal. 3.13; Colossians 2.14).
 Act curse can no longer reach me - Hallelujah!
 In the next article we will examine what Paul says about the law in light of this new understanding: 'The law of
 Galatians specifically the law of God '. 17

A fairly good translation! I have marked only one place where the meaning is changed slightly.

Johann

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2011, 12:39:03 AM »

Which pages, Johann?

Which pages are you referring to? The author, Lehnart Falk, is in charge of ADRA, Denmark, and he gives the page references to the Danish edition of DS's book. I have no way of giving you a comparison with the original English edition since the pages would not be the same. I was told that the Danish edition is a slight abbreviation where sections only applying to America and/or the KJV were deleted since the KJV is not used in Denmark.

I'm interested in which page numbers of the article quote from and comment upon Danny's book.

I'd say all three articles are commenting on the effects of Danny's book, and his book is the reason  the articles were written.

childoftheking

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2011, 01:50:17 AM »

Bob my take on the Danish article is that they object to the concept (in the Ten Commandments Twice removed and anywhere else) that it was only the ceremonial law and the law of ordinances that was against us and was nailed to the cross but not the moral law. This would undercut Paul’s argument that the law no longer judges us but it is Christ who says “Neither do I condemn thee. Go and sin no more.”

In our own strength we may outwardly keep the law but the law like a mirror can only show us where we are dirty. Like a mirror, it was not meant to clean us up. Even if we only had sinned once, we are sinners and by our present and future law keeping we can not go back and undo the past. The law can only condemn us, it cannot reform or redeem us. And in our own strength we can only outwardly keep the law and sometimes that only intermittently.

Only when we come to Christ can we and do we love God with all our hearts and our neighbors as ourselves. God is love. His law is a low of love.  It is not  that grace makes the law of no effect. For “What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life."

It is not that we become lawless but that in Christ only can we truly keep it. (the law)

Romans 6:1 through 4
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 01:53:37 AM by childoftheking »

childoftheking

« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2011, 04:50:02 AM »

By the way, I am no greek scholar and though Colossians 2:14 is refering to the "handwriting of ordinances that was against us and was nailed to the cross." In Galatians however Paul is talking about the moral law also and righteousness by faith is not lawlessness nor some vague feeling of sentimental "love" toward God or one's fellow man but bearing the fruit of the spirit which will result in obeying the 10 commandments (treating God as He wishes to be treated- no worship of graven images, Sabbath rest, making God supreme and not taking His name in vain. And not killing, envying, committing adultry, dishonoring parents, stealing and not only outwardly but from the heart.)

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2011, 04:51:12 AM »

As Sister White stated, the schoolmaster of Gal. 3:24 that leads us to Christ is both the moral and the ceremonial law, but especially the moral law.

But I think to say that the moral law was what was nailed to the cross in Col. 2:14 is going too far.
  • That text refers to handwriting, while the 10 Commandments were finger-writing.
  • You can't blot out something engraved on stone: the letters won't wash away, and the only think that will disappear if you use an eraser is the eraser.
  • You can't pound a nail through stone.

childoftheking

« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2011, 05:50:27 AM »

I think I misspoke there and that the Danish article didn't go that far either. I would have to go back and check all three articles again. I was writing from memory and not checking thouroughly. My memory isn't the best. I shoul have referenced it more thouroughly before ascribing that to the author. Yes Collossians 2:14 is not refering to the moral law but Galatians is refering to both.

childoftheking

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2011, 06:20:33 AM »

De kunne kun fås gennem løfterne om ham, som skulle komme (Gal 3,18). Hele det
ceremonielle system pegede frem til ham, som skulle komme. Sinaj pagten eller den gamle pagt kunne kun
føre til trældom og slaveri (Gal 4,25), den kunne aldrig sætte mennesker fri. Det er kun Kristus, der kan
3 Seventh-day Adventist Bible Commentary. Bind. 6 s. 934
4 Ellen G. White. “Signs” Nov. 5, 1890. s. 3.
5 Seventh-day Adventist Bible Commentary. Bind. 6 s. 933
6 Secventh-day Adventist Bible Commentary. Bind 6. ”Introduktion til Galaterbrevet” s. 933
sætte fri (Gal 5,1). Da Jesus kom, blev teokratiet og aftalen med Israel ophævet, lovens krav blev opfyldt, og
lovens forbandelser blev naglet til korset. Det system jøderne troede, de skulle få liv ved, og den
teokratiske pagt, som Gud indgik med Israel inklusiv de ti bud, den er kun gyldig til ham, der var lovet
(Jesus) kom (Gal 3,19).
Med Jesus blev løftet opfyldt, og

Danish - detected to English translation
They could only be obtained through promises of Him who should come (Gal. 3:18). the entire ceremonial system pointed forward to Him who was to come. Sinai Pact or the old covenant could only lead to servitude and slavery (Galatians 4.25), it could never put people off. It is only Christ who can 3 Seventh-day Adventist Bible Commentary. Tie. 6 p. 934 4 Ellen G. White. "Signs" in November 5, 1890. p. 3 5 Seventh-day Adventist Bible Commentary. Tie. 6 p. 933 6 Secventh-day Adventist Bible Commentary. Tie 6th "Introduction to Galatians" p. 933 3 set free (Gal. 5.1). When Jesus came, theocracy and the agreement with Israel lifted the statutory requirements were met and Act curses were nailed to the cross. The system of the Jews thought they should get life in and theocratic covenant which God made with Israel, including the Ten Commandments, it is only valid for him that was promised (Jesus) came (Galatians 3.19). As Jesus was lifted met and

Bob, Perhaps this was the section where I picked up the phrase from Colossians. But you are entirely correct.

Johann

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2011, 01:24:45 PM »

As Sister White stated, the schoolmaster of Gal. 3:24 that leads us to Christ is both the moral and the ceremonial law, but especially the moral law.

But I think to say that the moral law was what was nailed to the cross in Col. 2:14 is going too far.
  • That text refers to handwriting, while the 10 Commandments were finger-writing.
  • You can't blot out something engraved on stone: the letters won't wash away, and the only think that will disappear if you use an eraser is the eraser.
  • You can't pound a nail through stone.

What was nailed to the cross? Nothing, according to the translation I am using. It states that Christ removed the curse, and there is a strong indication that the curse is the curse resting on me because I have not lived according to the commanments.

I find it a challenging question, What would we do with the Investigating Judgment, 1844, etc. if we claim that any law has been nailed. . .

I have no issue with the translators of the latest Icelandic edition of the Bible who state that it is the curse that disappears, and not the commandments.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 02:28:47 AM by Johann »

childoftheking

« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2011, 03:33:14 PM »

On the other hand the author quotes Colossians 2:14 three times and it seems to me that he may be using that text in reference to the moral law also. Am I mistaken? This is what had me confused as to the author's position.

I did find this letter on the internet:

http://www.truthdepot.net/content/OpenLettertoLindaShelton.pdf

and you can see by its context that it is a somewhat old one. But it accuses Shelly Quinn and Danny Shelton of taking that exact same position and applying Colossians 2:14 to the moral law. I could not say whether they do that or not.

Johann

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2011, 03:11:53 AM »

Seems to me like the context is the key to understand this.

Colossians 2:10-16 (New International Version)
10 and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority. 11 In him you were also circumcised with a circumcision not performed by human hands. Your whole self ruled by the flesh was put off when you were circumcised by Christ, 12 having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through your faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead.

13 When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, 14 having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross. 15 And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.

16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.

We were dead in sin - and then God makes us alive by forgiveness in Christ. Just look at the picture Paul paints here. Here he calls redemption in Christ a new circumcision. "Let no one condemn you. . ." puts salvation in a new dimension. Salvation is not a condemnation of the sinner but a rescue from death. That condemnation is nailed on the cross.

Even as a child I saw these verses as a joy. Brought up in Sabbath School watching the Commandments, praying God would help me keep them. Yet some of my neighbor children were "condemning" me for keeping the Sabbath and fulfilling other eating requirements. Then I read this text which states that in Christ there is no condemnation - and the Sabbath and all the rest became a delight and I pitied those who could not see it and who did not receive the true blessings from above.

Therefore I cannot see this as if the law itself is nailed to the cross.

Johann

« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2011, 03:14:30 AM »

In my previous post I have left some corners open for further discussion - something I welcome.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2011, 10:48:42 AM »

What was nailed to the cross? Nothing, according to the translation I am using. It states that Christ removed the curse, and there is a strong indication that the curse is the curse resting on me because I have not lived according to the commanments.

I find it a challenging question, What would we do with the Investigating Judgment, 1844, etc. if we claim that any law has been nailed. . .

I have no issue with the translators of the latest Icelandic edition of the Bible who state that it is the curse that disappears, and not the commandments.

It is true that this is the other possible explanation, that Col. 2:14 is talking about the condemnation being nailed to the cross rather than the ceremonial law.

I favor the latter possibility since then Col. 2 parallels Eph. 2, which refers to the taking away of the middle wall of partition between Jew and Gentile. I don't see how the condemnation against all of us can be the middle wall of partition between Jew and Gentile, but the ceremonial law certainly was.

Johann

« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2011, 11:04:44 AM »

It is true that this is the other possible explanation, that Col. 2:14 is talking about the condemnation being nailed to the cross rather than the ceremonial law.

I favor the latter possibility since then Col. 2 parallels Eph. 2, which refers to the taking away of the middle wall of partition between Jew and Gentile. I don't see how the condemnation against all of us can be the middle wall of partition between Jew and Gentile, but the ceremonial law certainly was.

What complicates this is that I think Paul might be using the term "Jew" for those who think they can be justified just by keeping the laws (plural) and do not need a saving faith in the atonement of Jesus Christ on the cross. Isn't that the idea when he is referring to Peter?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up