Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You can find an active Save 3ABN website at http://www.Save-3ABN.com.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Tommy Shelton Trial Outcome...  (Read 94559 times)

mrst53

Re: Tommy Shelton Trial Outcome...
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 08:40:41 AM »

sex offenders register and still live and work where they want to... We have one who works at the tire place in our town-a few doors down from the Library and a couple blocks from the School. Of course the Police Dept is across the street and the town is so small everyone  knows everyone else, but, still- I moved to this town and didn't know it and don't know him...

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 12:58:16 PM »

I heard that he was allowed to leave the state after his guilty-plea hearing.

Now I've heard that that was incorrect, that he has not been able to leave Virginia.

Like imprisoned in Virginia - for how long now?

I doubt he's imprisoned, unless one considers the entire state a prison.

horsethief

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 11:07:34 AM »

He's not in jail now, he's made bail and that keeps him out of it until he gets remanded to be in prison.

Still, it is important that we pray that justice and mercy are shown in this situation. The best justice and the most merciful for Tommy is a life sentence in a state prison with the general prison population. This will ensure that no other children will be stalked and attacked by him.

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 02:16:09 PM »

I thought his plea bargain, called for no jail or prison time?
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 05:00:58 PM »

Isn't that really up to the judge to decide?

horsethief

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 10:02:46 PM »

Judge wasn't pleased with the initial plea that kept Tommy out of prison... Which is a good sign that he could be going to prison...

We all know what he has done & we also know that he's young enough and healthy enough to do it again.

That's why we should pray that this most loathsome of predators is sent to prison and made to stay with the general prison population.

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 08:14:54 AM »

If the judge wasn't pleased, then what happens next?

Will Tommy be given a chance to change his plea, or will the judge sentence him?

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 05:28:54 PM »

I have the same question, what happens when the judge doesn't like the plea?
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2010, 07:34:55 PM »

If the judge doesn't accept it, Tommy can withdraw the plea if he wants to, or perhaps he can accept the sentence the judge gives him. What if the judge gave him 30 or 60 days in jail? That wouldn't be all that big a deal, and Tommy could evade the stress of it having to go to trial, and possibly ending up with 10 years or whatever.

JustWondering

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2010, 07:42:53 PM »

This link leads to the articles in the Washington Post.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/19/AR2010071904825.html
Below is the most recent article.
Ex-pastor of Fairfax church pleads guilty to molesting two boys in the 1990s
By Tom Jackman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The former pastor of a Fairfax County church pleaded guilty Monday to molesting two boys who were under his supervision in the 1990s, and Fairfax prosecutors agreed to a deal in which the man would spend no time in jail.

But Fairfax Circuit Court Judge Randy I. Bellows said he might not accept the deal, in which case the defendant, Tommy R. Shelton Jr., could withdraw his plea and take the case to another judge.

Shelton, 65, was the pastor of Community Church of God in the Dunn Loring area from 1995 to 2000. Authorities said two men contacted Fairfax police in 2008 and said that Shelton had sexually assaulted them in the 1990s.

Shelton, who had been living in Kentucky, was arrested in March.

Both accusers were in the courtroom for Shelton's pleas to two felony counts of taking indecent liberties with a child under his supervision. Each charge carries a penalty of up to five years in prison. Both said afterward that they approved of the plea deal, although it doesn't include jail time, as long as Shelton acknowledges his guilt and is placed on a sex offender registry.

One of the men testified at a hearing in May that Shelton had performed oral sex on him in 1995 or 1996, when the man was 14, and Deputy Commonwealth's Attorney Katherine E. Stott confirmed that account Monday. Shelton had been seeing the boy for counseling and piano lessons, Stott said, and had told him that their sexual activities were "the type of relationship a father and son had."

The other man also testified in May. He said that when he was 11, he and Shelton would go for bike rides and that Shelton would direct him into the woods and fondle him. Stott said that on one occasion, Shelton molested the boy in the kitchen of the Community Church of God on Gallows Road.

Bellows, a former federal prosecutor, seemed skeptical of a plea bargain with no jail time. "I'm telling you all right now," the judge said, "I may ultimately reject this agreement."

Shelton has been free on bond. Bellows said that without the plea agreement, he "would have little doubt about incarcerating the defendant pending sentencing." But prosecutors did not ask for Shelton's bond to be revoked, or for any jail sentence, so he allowed Shelton to remain free.

Bellows asked the prosecutor why she had agreed to the plea deal proposed by defense attorneys Kimberly Irving and Thomas Pavlinic. Stott said that she had discussed the proposal with the two complainants, along with the risks and burdens of going to trial, and that they had accepted it.

She said the only evidence would be the two men's testimony about the events of 15 years ago. Shelton had not spoken to police and had no criminal record, she said.

After the hearing, the two men said they would be prepared to testify if the judge rejects the plea deal and Shelton goes to trial.

"It's been a long time coming," said one of the men, 24.

The other man, 29, said: "He's taken something from me I'll never get back. . . . As long as he's admitted guilt and he's a registered sex offender, that he can't do this to others, that's really what I wanted."

Shelton declined to comment after the hearing. Bellows ordered a pre-sentence report and set a sentencing hearing for Sept. 24, at which he will decide whether to accept the plea deal.

If Bellows rejects the deal, Shelton can withdraw his plea or proceed with sentencing, at which the judge could give him up to 10 years in prison.

If Shelton withdraws his plea, the case would be assigned to another judge, and Shelton, his attorneys and Stott could devise another plea agreement, submit the same agreement to the new judge or go to trial.

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 08:38:05 PM »

Have Mercy! I know these facts are not new, but everytime I see them, I just smh.  Thanks, Bob and Just Wondering, that answers my question.  I wonder which way it will go.   I thougth TS was older than that......he could still go to jail, some have at his age.........

horsethief

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2010, 11:31:20 PM »

A convicted felon enters prison with the general population. Having to share a cell with 3 or 4 other prisoners. Each of them with access to the TV and newspaper and aware of the local news. Many of them may have children of their own. They shudder to think that they can't be in the community to shield and protect their own children from sexual predators, whom they know are prevalent in society. It makes them very frustrated.

Among prison populations in the USA, a crime against a child is not highly regarded. Correction officers tend to share the disdain that the prisoners have.

Johann

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 01:37:51 AM »

Only four days, and then?

vestedinterest

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2010, 09:37:34 AM »

Now I've heard that that was incorrect, that he has not been able to leave Virginia.

First time posting, but I have been following closely... It is my understanding that TS has been living near his daughter in Mississippi.

JustWondering

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2010, 10:30:54 AM »

First time posting, but I have been following closely... It is my understanding that TS has been living near his daughter in Mississippi.

Legally or Illegally?  Does anyone know for certain what the judge ordered at the July court date?

It would be interesting to know who has been housing him since March in VA.  Whoever it is, I wonder if their feelings changed after he plead guilty in July.  I hope they do not have any children.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up