General Category > General Discussions

Evolution at La Sierra?

<< < (5/9) > >>

princessdi:
Here is a copy of my post raising a few questions on the same topic.

I can't remember if I posted to this thread before...sounds familiar, though.......Ok so we just tell one side of the story for fear if we hear all sides, we will not choose "the truth" in and of ourselves, we will get confused, etc. It might surprise you know that this is also the reasoning on the JWs who believe that down to not allowing their members to even attend other churches.

Our end-time doctrine teaches that we will be persecuted for our faith. Way before we get to water boarding, there will be some attempt at reasoning, etc. If we don't believe we can stand some other teachings learned on a voluntary basis, how are we going to stand in the end? I believe the danger is not teaching that there are others schools of thought, and what is our biblical counter to each(is any, cuz this is not always the case, much to our chagrin). That work much better. I believe we do our children/members a disservice by sending them out.....unarmed......

Bob Pickle:
The issue is not the teaching of other views such as evolution, but the teaching of evolution as fact and truth in opposition to the idea that God created the world in six actual days.

I appreciated John M. Fowler's letter to the editor of the Review in I think the most recent issue. He stated clearly that upholding the teaching of a six-day creation is not optional for our pastors and teachers. When evolution is presented, the teachers need to bring the students back to Bible truth.

Murcielago:
I went to an Adventist school that taught creationist theory, and stirictly adhered to traditional Adventist doctrine in the most conservative fashion. Statistically a much greater percentage of the graduates from that school have not only left the church, but left Christianity entirely, than La Sierra.

princessdi:
George, I tend to believe that this is generational...beginning to Baby Boomers.  When you present something as total truth to us, it had better be total truth.  We cannot find some fault in your teaching, and then you have no answer for the inaccuracies found.

With Adventism, as well as other religions, we have settled for conformity, teaching in our schools, encouraging it in our churches.  It ismuch easier not to have a ot of free-thinking folks with questions running around.  The problem is that the inaccuracies in our teachings hit them in them face the moment they step outside that "controlled" environment, and "we just have to have faith" is not always the answer. In fact it is most often not the answer.  The other unfortunate consequence is that people often make real life decsions based on information taught them as total truth.  Far too many have found that they have simply missed out on extraordinary once in a life time opportunities. 

Murcielago:
Good points. Very good points.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version