Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Gas prices?  (Read 34286 times)

patsi

Gas prices?
« on: March 07, 2008, 08:25:49 AM »

I do not know if this is anywhere else on the board as I do not come here and post very often. So forgive me if it is.
What are the gas prices like where you are? Here where I live they are, in places, $3.45 per gallon. Does not bode well in my pocketbook.

Johann

Re: Gas prices?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 09:14:14 AM »

Be happy! Where we live we pay about $7.55 per US gallon of gas. And we still drive, and keep filling up. We have no choice. Except cutting down on our driving. We don't have to pay taxes on less driving.

patsi

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 11:36:13 AM »

Whoa! I hope you get compensated for driving in some way or at least get paid well!  We earn less than $10 an hour but more than $9.00 an hour. With the rest of the bills, money does not go far. Where do you live that it costs so much for gas?
The prices are crazy if you ask me! There should be no reason the government does not do something about the rising costs of gasoline.
What about others? What are gas prices like where you live?

Johann

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 11:58:06 AM »

The United Nations regard our country, Iceland, to be the best place to live right now. We do have many benefits, such as very cheap thermal hot water and heating. My wife and I take our twice weekly physical training at the place where we also get treatments by a physical therapist who helps us stay in shape and enjoy life longer. Since we have paid for the first 20 treatments, we can continue as long as we live free of charge - because we are senior citizens.

And what means to much right now, my physician called today to let me know the latest tests say that there is nothing wrong with me. (She did not say there was nothing wrong with my head!!!)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 04:47:55 PM »

Whoa! I hope you get compensated for driving in some way or at least get paid well!  We earn less than $10 an hour but more than $9.00 an hour. With the rest of the bills, money does not go far. Where do you live that it costs so much for gas?
The prices are crazy if you ask me! There should be no reason the government does not do something about the rising costs of gasoline.
What about others? What are gas prices like where you live?

I am not any happier paying higher gas prices than anyone else, but realistically, compared to other things people pay for and never quibble, gas is still a good buy.
When government intervenes in all things to control prices it is not a utopia.
When I was working, it used to just amaze me to watch fellow workers pay 1.29-1.49 for flavored water, every break,or pop. Never a remark as to what that cost them per day, most could drive back and forth for less.

I either make my own bread or buy the frozen dough for 3.49 for five loaves, much better bread. The women I worked with thought I was crazy, they bought bread for 2.29 a loaf and thought it a bargain.

We just think for some reason we are owed cheap gas. How many unnecessary trips do people make per week, never thinking twice. Work related expenses are something that can't be avoided, but many of our expenses can
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 04:49:24 PM »

I get a little nervous when I hear people say, "There should be a law"
Government is never very good at watching out for my money.
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

patsi

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 06:36:36 PM »

Government is never very good at watching out for my money.

You are right! The only thing the government is good at is watching our money go straight to them!  :ROFL:
 Though, I think about what all I can do with every trip out of the driveway I make now. Pretty much have for awhile now. I purchase cheap soda IF I get soda. Usually we all drink water. We get milk only after a week of having the one before. I've noticed that we think everything out that we pay for now. However, when we moved everything got a lot cheaper. Tonight when I went to the store, I noticed that everything is rising up in costs. I wonder what it is like where I came from with their food prices. I'm thinking about calling someone there to find out. Last I knew they were paying almost $5.00 for a pound of tomatoes!  I've decided to grow a garden to get my veggies. I love them so much that I MUST have them yet with the prices going up as they are, it's almost not affordable to get them. Yet our bodies can not afford not to have them. It's a no win situation.  :dunno:

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 06:32:31 PM »

Food prices are and will continue to rise with this wonderful ethanol hoopla. There is always a cost when government wants to "make a law". If it means being taken care of, many would love more law.

We had a huge tax increase pass in MN. Supposedly for transportation. Little problem is that much of it is going to things that have nothing to do with that. Millions are going to build new hockey arean's throughout the state. Up goes the gas again so we can have our share of hockey rinks.

We live where the light rail is soon to begin. Another great intelligent government response. In a survey only 20% said they would use it and the state will have to subsidize 60% of the cost of running it. Another great savings, ramming something in that Minnesotans don't want, won't use, and we get to pay for.

Chrissie

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 10:33:27 PM »

I do not know if this is anywhere else on the board as I do not come here and post very often. So forgive me if it is.
What are the gas prices like where you are? Here where I live they are, in places, $3.45 per gallon. Does not bode well in my pocketbook.

Hi Patsi
I live in Australia, and where we are petrol id $149.9 per litre. I've forgotten how to convert that over to gallons. All I know is that it costs us a tremendous amount of money, and we 'ration' the number of trips we take the car out per fortnight.

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 11:50:04 AM »

It is presently $1.16 per litre in the Province of Nova Scotia, Canada with it being about $1.09 or $1.10 in the neighbouring Province of New Brunswick, Canada.

patsi

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 12:12:18 PM »

Isn't the break-down something like 1.75 litres x 3 for the US gallon?  :dunno:  If anyone knows, could you post it here?

Chrissie

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 06:01:15 PM »

Hi Patsi
I live in Australia, and where we are petrol id $149.9 per litre. I've forgotten how to convert that over to gallons. All I know is that it costs us a tremendous amount of money, and we 'ration' the number of trips we take the car out per fortnight.

Oops! That should have read 149.9 cents per litre  :o I was told that yesterday, that price escalated to 154.9 cents a litre. :dunno:

marcand

• Abundant Rest Ministries
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 03:10:14 PM »

According to onlineconversion.com:

1 gallon [US, liquid] = 3.785 411 784 liter

so, those of you paying around 150 center per liter would be the equivalent of roughly $5.67 per gallon.  Here in my neck of the woods it is running around $3.20 per gallon for the cheapest grade available.
Michael Arcand
Abundant Rest Ministries
www.abundantrest.org

patsi

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 03:34:23 PM »

<sigh> It is almost up to the 4.00 mark here now. Last I checked which was a few days ago, it was about 3.65 a gallon. I know that Canadians are paying far more than what the US residents are paying. I feel sorry for myself with these prices, I feel even sorrier for those living in other countries that are paying much higher prices.

What to do about it..... what to do

Ozzie

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 06:26:09 PM »

<sigh> It is almost up to the 4.00 mark here now. Last I checked which was a few days ago, it was about 3.65 a gallon. I know that Canadians are paying far more than what the US residents are paying. I feel sorry for myself with these prices, I feel even sorrier for those living in other countries that are paying much higher prices.

What to do about it..... what to do

As fuel is now up over $1.51 a litre here in my little neck of the woods in Australia, my husband and I can buy only sufficient fuel that will get up to do grocery shopping once a fortnight and to get to Church twice a fortnight. Social events are off our list and I 'cadge' a lift to Board Meetings and such activities, with people who are still in the work force and have a little more disposable income. I think the time is very close, when we'll be disposing of our car.  :dunno:
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up