Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Is God vicious and destructive? Why do I need him?  (Read 32995 times)

patsi

Is God vicious and destructive? Why do I need him?
« on: January 27, 2008, 12:30:55 PM »

I am little unsure of where this  :-[might be considered appropriate. I am so
angry and so disheartened and heartsick that I almost don't know where to
begin.

I will tell you right upfront I am not a Seventh Day Advent. Several years
ago I began to feel the need for a connection to God in my life and began
searching the internet. I was directed to an advent forum and joined.

What I have found is a cold, spiteful destructive God with cold spiteful
followers.

Some recent occurrences have shown this so clearly and I am now wondering
what path to take.

I have witnessed the systematic and quite delightful destruction of one.
Like a pack of crazed dogs after what is seen as helpless prey.

What good is all the talk of God and his love when everything about God is
shown to be just the opposite by their behavior?

I have some experience in the field of paralegals and what I have witnessed
is shocking libel and slander. I don't know that there is anything here for
me as a Christian forum, in my secular life dealing with those that have no
particular belief in a God I do not find this. What is there in God or a
religion that I should desire that connection or knowledge of him?

patsi

Re: Is God vicious and destructive? Why do I need him?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 12:42:47 PM »

I would also be interested in learning if there is some type of governing
board for your organization?

Some where that a person could go and be listened to without being a member.

Someone needs to try to stop the Christian slaughter being done. Does your
organization care if this is how they are represented by parties they employ
to represent them?

Sadly this seems to indicate a very deep problem.

Johann

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 02:44:57 PM »

I would also be interested in learning if there is some type of governing
board for your organization?

Some where that a person could go and be listened to without being a member.

Someone needs to try to stop the Christian slaughter being done. Does your
organization care if this is how they are represented by parties they employ
to represent them?

Sadly this seems to indicate a very deep problem.

Patsi,

Welcome to this forum, and thank you for asking if there is a God who is - shall we say Not vicious and victive?

If you remain here, some of us will communicate with you, and try  to reveal a God we love and adore.

This forum was actually started because some of us feel that certain people are being "crucified" in spite of certain people's confession. Therefore you might, at first look, find certain expressions offensive.

As a paralegal you might be just the person we need to clarify certain issues. So thank you for joining.

My wife is calling for me to go to bed now, and I should have been there quite a while back. - We are in Europe.

Stay tuned, and we will get back to you.

Ozzie

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 04:39:31 PM »

I am little unsure of where this  :-[might be considered appropriate. I am so
angry and so disheartened and heartsick that I almost don't know where to
begin.

I will tell you right upfront I am not a Seventh Day Advent. Several years
ago I began to feel the need for a connection to God in my life and began
searching the internet. I was directed to an advent forum and joined.

What I have found is a cold, spiteful destructive God with cold spiteful
followers.

Some recent occurrences have shown this so clearly and I am now wondering
what path to take.

I have witnessed the systematic and quite delightful destruction of one.
Like a pack of crazed dogs after what is seen as helpless prey.

What good is all the talk of God and his love when everything about God is
shown to be just the opposite by their behavior?

I have some experience in the field of paralegals and what I have witnessed
is shocking libel and slander. I don't know that there is anything here for
me as a Christian forum, in my secular life dealing with those that have no
particular belief in a God I do not find this. What is there in God or a
religion that I should desire that connection or knowledge of him?

Hello Patsi. Nice to see you here. Your question is a legitimate one. Just this morning, I receive a devotional article that I would like to share with you. I believe that we need to remember that there is a war going on, and satan wants to snare all of us. Here is the devotional reminder:
The Battlefield

We wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Eph. 6: 12.

The fallen world is the battlefield for the greatest conflict the heavenly universe and earthly powers have ever witnessed. It was appointed as a theater on which would be fought out the grand struggle between good and evil, between heaven and hell. Every human being acts a part in this conflict. No one can stand on neutral ground. Men must either accept or reject the world's Redeemer. All are witnesses, either for or against Christ. Christ calls upon those who stand under His banner to engage in the conflict with Him as faithful soldiers, that they may inherit the crown of life.

Battles are to be fought every day. A great warfare is going on over every soul, between the prince of darkness and the Prince of life. . . . As God's agents you are to yield yourselves to Him, that He may plan and direct and fight the battle for you, with your cooperation. The Prince of life is at the head of His work. He is to be with you in your daily battle with self, that you may be true to principle; that passion, when warring for the mastery, may be subdued by the grace of Christ; that you come off more than conqueror through Him that hath loved us. Jesus has been over the ground. He knows the power of every temptation. He knows just how to meet every emergency, and how to guide you through every path of danger.

God will have a people zealous of good works, standing firm amid the pollutions of this degenerate age. There will be a people who hold so fast to the divine strength that they will be proof against every temptation. Evil communications in flaming handbills may seek to speak to their senses and corrupt their minds; yet they will be so united to God and angels that they will be as those who see not and hear not. They have a work to do which no one can do for them, which is to fight the good fight of faith, and lay
hold on eternal life. . . .

The youth may have principles so firm that the most powerful temptations of Satan will not draw them away from their allegiance.

From God's Amazing Grace - Page 35
[/color]
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 04:49:40 PM »

Hey old friend, so happy to see you here. Hope you are well. Have really missed you from the old board

Bonnie
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Ozzie

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 05:02:05 PM »

Hey old friend, so happy to see you here. Hope you are well. Have really missed you from the old board

Bonnie

Good to see you too Bonnie. Catching up with quite a few old friends here. Life gets so busy at times, that there are few hours left in a day to even get over to Forums; not that I don't think of it though. ;D
Ozzie

~ Frank Sculley.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 05:03:30 PM »

I closed SNT. Could not do it justice any longer.
OPPS, best keep on topic here
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

patsi

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 07:31:14 PM »

Thank you for your nice post. I am not sure of the route I should take.
So far what I have observed; it does not matter how nasty you are or how much
trouble you cause with a sly,conniving mouth. All that matters is how much
you can repeat of scripture and use it to your advantage.

I asked for a place to go or a recommendation as to who to talk with. I
can't help the people under attack but dealing with leaders and their
response will tell me what I want to know. If what they care about is their
performance from a podium or in front of a microphone or protect their
employees in this type of vicious and gleeful destruction of another, my
questions will be answered. If there is concern for one ,whoever that one is,
or how hated, that will provide another type answer.

I have checked various Christian forums and have never run across so much
hatred run amuck. I have also found just social forums and they do not
conduct themselves as this.They have standards, they know what they are and
they do not allow this.

Perhaps I should be content with a social forum where they treat each other
as human beings and not prey for a certain few. I have been disturbed enough
this past couple of weeks religious interaction action and education doesn't
seem too important in the wake of this.

Ozzie

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 08:28:07 PM »

Thank you for your nice post. I am not sure of the route I should take. So far what I have observed; it does not matter how nasty you are or how much trouble you cause with a sly,conniving mouth. All that matters is how much you can repeat of scripture and use it to your advantage.

I am sorry that is all you see Patsi. I guess one sees whatever it is that they are looking for and unless one wants to see otherwise, there is nothing others can do about it. People have choices, whether to follow God or follow man. At times, as people become wealthy, increased with goods and get world-known fame, they tend to lose sight of God. That is very sad. When corruption creeps into ANY church as a result of that, it is important to recognise it and call sin by it's true name, do whatever one can do to help clean up the mess and be representative of Christ and then leave the rest with Him, Who knows and understands the hearts of all those involved. Wherever there are people, unfortunately there will be problems - whether that be in the Church, a tennis club or some other social club.

I asked for a place to go or a recommendation as to who to talk with. I can't help the people under attack but dealing with leaders and their response will tell me what I want to know. If what they care about is their  performance from a podium or in front of a microphone or protect their employees in this type of vicious and gleeful destruction of another, my questions will be answered. If there is concern for one whoever that one is, or how hated, that will provide another type answer.

Exactly Patsi. I am sure that you will find most of the posters here think as you do.

I have checked various Christian forums and have never run across so much hatred run amuck. I have also found just social forums and they do not conduct themselves as this.They have standards, they know what they are and they do not allow this.

Perhaps I should be content with a social forum where they treat each other as human beings and not prey for a certain few. I have been disturbed enough this past couple of weeks religious interaction action and education doesn't seem too important in the wake of this.

Have you seen "hatred run amuck" in this Forum Patsi? If you have, I am sorry you have taken it that way. Remember that even Christ chased the money lenders (corruption), out of the Temple.

Just one question Patsi. How did you come to find AdventTalk? Did someone send you here? As this Forum has been open less than a week (if my memory serves me correctly), it seems strange that you are taking all your views on Christianity from this Forum alone. Perhaps we can help you delve deeper. Maybe, you need to also look at other Christan web sites, if this one distresses you deeply. I am sure that no one here wants you to go, but neither do we want people to be unhappy here. Why not stay awhile and not be too hasty to jump to conclusions? Maybe, you'd like to visit the Sabbath School site among others.
  :dunno:

Ozzie

~ Frank Sculley.

patsi

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 08:04:39 AM »

Ozzie,
I really do not know much about this forum. I was by a friend that is a member some place else that is connected to this one in some way.
This is only an experience that I am/were having in other places.

I have made it a habit of just observing and I will take a clue and revert back to that approach.

SoulEspresso

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 08:40:13 AM »

Observing is good, patsi, but if your friend directed you here from another site, then you already know at least some of the social context that AdventTalk came out of.  Trust me, a lot of the context is not on this site -- in fact, getting it all would be quite a chore.  What may look harsh may actually have some explanation, even justification. 

Coming into a controversial situation, which it seems you know of already, is not the best way to ascertain the value of a spiritual movement or denomination.  We're sinners, all of us, and despite the fact that AdventTalk was explicitly intended as a respectful forum, I'm sorry you found the discussions to be less-than. 

Compare it to a family conflict -- would you want your neighbors to judge how much your family unit loves each other based on a few moments of fighting or conflict?  I sure wouldn't.   :dunno:

Chrissie

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 01:31:13 PM »

Observing is good, patsi, but if your friend directed you here from another site, then you already know at least some of the social context that AdventTalk came out of.  Trust me, a lot of the context is not on this site -- in fact, getting it all would be quite a chore.  What may look harsh may actually have some explanation, even justification. 

Coming into a controversial situation, which it seems you know of already, is not the best way to ascertain the value of a spiritual movement or denomination.  We're sinners, all of us, and despite the fact that AdventTalk was explicitly intended as a respectful forum, I'm sorry you found the discussions to be less-than. 

Compare it to a family conflict -- would you want your neighbors to judge how much your family unit loves each other based on a few moments of fighting or conflict?  I sure wouldn't.   :dunno:
Wise advice SE.

patsi

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 03:35:37 AM »

I'm sorry you found the discussions to be less-than. 

I am new here, Ive not yet found this board to be like others yet.

Johann

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 03:45:02 AM »

I am new here, Ive not yet found this board to be like others yet.

Good to see that you are still here, patsi.

You said you have seem people presenting a vicious god. In which way?

Does this prevent you from believing in God?

Johann

patsi

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 08:30:38 AM »

I am going to withdraw and observe in places trying to observe and find some
answers. At the time I am no longer interested in  having it sound as if
I came to cause trouble.

I do not wish to cause any one any problems and the insight I was looking
for is no longer a quest of mine. Thank you for your time
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 06:22:30 PM by patsi »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up