Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Sabbath-breaking by another 3ABN Board Member  (Read 52089 times)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
Re: Sabbath-breaking by another 3ABN Board Member
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2008, 06:44:19 PM »

What do you think happened to the ones in the OT who were caught gathering kindling wood on the Sabbath?

Look it up and let me know. :wave:

Wasn't there a little more to it than someone just gathering sticks??
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Michael Kopper

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2008, 07:38:34 PM »

i dont know what to make of you people  wen i found this sight i thought i mite find good discusion and felowship with cristians

all of you are just at each others throtes  but of course its in the name of god so its ok

i had been thinking it mite be nice to try to visit one of your churchs

now i dont think so

sick  god must frown on you

Habanero

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2008, 08:28:39 PM »

Every person's god frowns on everyone who disagrees with them.

Habanero

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2008, 08:34:11 PM »

What do you think happened to the ones in the OT who were caught gathering kindling wood on the Sabbath?

Look it up and let me know. :wave:

Wasn't there a little more to it than someone just gathering sticks??

Don't you know? Haven't you heard? Hasn't anybody ever told you? We are to choose which parts of the Bible we will teach, believe in, adhere to, and enforce. We are not to take the entire Bible and use it as the infallible word of God. If we did that, all of the Pathfinders would have been stoned to death for picking up sticks on Sabbath, all of the women would have to leave town on that time of the month, we would be required to have our kids executed for the sin of rebellion, we would be required to kill people who don't convert, we would have to kill entire populations of nations who don't go along with our crusades and expansion...

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2008, 09:05:45 PM »

Not that any of the theological outrage matters to me, but I guess that McKee Bakeries would likely point out that a significant percentage of their revenues goes into sponsoring students through Adventist schools, and support for many Adventist outreach and educational projects, and wherever money comes from, it all spends the same. The matters you mention seem to all be issues of theological question as opposed to the questions of criminal activities and the problems with maliciously harming and lying about themselves and others people, that have plagued 3ABN. The only issue I would have with Ellsworth would stem from any support he might have given to the harming of people that 3ABN has done.

Perhaps it is symptomatic of what is wrong and why it was so easy for them to compromise and ignore Seventh-day Adventist principals when it expedites business interests...a good reason to believe that there is no place in the Seventh-day Adventist Chuirch for this ministry with the present administration!!!

The Lord cannot, and will not, bless this ministry in its blasphemy!!!

Gailon Arthur Joy

Gailon Arthur Joy

GRAT

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2008, 09:09:16 PM »

Bonnie - Thank you for your explanation of your game.  Makes sense now.  I was fortunate to go to church school from 4th grade on and never met that type of "christian" at church that I remember.  (or maybe I was perfect!  :ROFL:)  

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2008, 09:13:37 PM »

That was not my question Daryl.  Do you agree with the position taken by SDA Minister and his POV as expressed in his opening paragraph.  Do you think the view expressed by SDA Minister is what your church wants presented to the world on how the church views Sabbath observance?

3ABN and Danny Lee Shelton produce and market very aggressively a book called The Ten Commandments Twice Removed. The Fourth cammandment is very clear and this sponsorship breaches, in principal, that very clear principal.

It cannot be what we think, but rather what the Bible SAYS!!! The problem at Mckee is the lack of principal, and that is not only the Sabbath Issue!!!

And with what Edson knows of Danny Lee Shelton, if they have not punished and sued him, then Edson is a man completely compromised.

Gailon Arthur Joy

Gailon Arthur Joy

quaddie47

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2008, 05:34:54 AM »

i dont know what to make of you people  wen i found this sight i thought i mite find good discusion and felowship with cristians

all of you are just at each others throtes  but of course its in the name of god so its ok

i had been thinking it mite be nice to try to visit one of your churchs

now i dont think so

sick  god must frown on you

Always blaming others is a bad habit, Michael. 

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2008, 05:36:52 AM »

"You must be getting away from Jesus and His teachings and do not realize it" (5T 516).

So wrote Ellen White to Dudley Canright after he had written an article published in the Review advocating the reading of "Uncle Tom's Cabin, Robinson Crusoe, and such books." She also wrote a rebuttal to his article which appears as RH 11-09-86. Thus SDAminster has made a valid point about McKee promot6ing such material, if that in fact is being done.

There are enough aspects to this whole scandal that probably everyone (including those who see nothing wrong with such material) can agree that if Ellen White were alive today she would say the same sort of thing.

Now Canright had a major problem: He couldn't handle being corrected. Thus it wouldn't surprise me if Ellen White's letter to him and her article is part of the reason why he said " 'that he had come to a point where he no longer believed that the Ten Commandments were binding upon Christians and had given up the law, the Sabbath, the messages, the sanctuary, our position upon [the] United States in prophecy, the testimonies, health reform, the ordinances of humility' " (3Bio 360). On that basis he asked to have his name dropped, which occurred on Feb. 17, 1887.

There are people involved in this saga who have the same major problem. Danny and the board could have humbly acknowledged their errors, including how they handled the child molestation allegations against Tommy Shelton. Instead they chose to sue. That was wrong.

Habanero

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2008, 07:31:02 AM »

Whether it be EGW or anyone else, I have a real problem with anyone who tries to ban the reading of literature in the name of religion or politics. That is the kind of thing done by the Taliban, the Nazis, Communism, Dark Age Catholicism, and every other group that has had a reason to keep their members in a state of intellectual darkness. We, as Adventists, have spoken out against the above groups for burning books and keeping their people from reading certain things and then we do the same thing. Do we have greater light now than Jesus did way back in his day? He made use of fiction in order to put points across.

GrandmaNettie

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2008, 08:02:41 AM »

Whether it be EGW or anyone else, I have a real problem with anyone who tries to ban the reading of literature in the name of religion or politics. That is the kind of thing done by the Taliban, the Nazis, Communism, Dark Age Catholicism, and every other group that has had a reason to keep their members in a state of intellectual darkness. We, as Adventists, have spoken out against the above groups for burning books and keeping their people from reading certain things and then we do the same thing. Do we have greater light now than Jesus did way back in his day? He made use of fiction in order to put points across.

To date, yours is one of the most well-presented arguments I have read against the attack on the use of edifying literature.  Where was a voice like yours when I was accepting an "F" on principle in my PUC English Literature course (my major, btw) because the books I was supposed to read were on EGW's banned list?
??? ?? ??? ?? ????

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 AM »

Bonnie - Thank you for your explanation of your game.  Makes sense now.  I was fortunate to go to church school from 4th grade on and never met that type of "Christian" at church that I remember.  (or maybe I was perfect!  :ROFL:)  

You must have not liked sports and wore jeans. That is a sin that can lead heaven knows where. I also went to church school.

It was one of those little games children play,my mother never knew. Had she known we would have known immediately what to do with us. When this couple and a couple of others would walk by my brothers and I we would begin singing softly,  "When the saint's come marching in" We thought it hilarious .They knew they didn't like it,but could never make the connection and would just frown.
Most kids are pretty adept at coping. Might now be the prescibed way but...
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2008, 08:16:41 AM »

"You must be getting away from Jesus and His teachings and do not realize it" (5T 516).

You can't read any book other than EW,Bible and those that are recommended by EW. Seems I remember you can't play checkers,chess,any card game like Flinch,Rook,no bowling,no movies except those recommended by the church,Let's not forget the makeup for young women,seems we weren't to color our hair,after all God knew best and that is what he gave us, Not sure if jeans are allowed for women yet,but seems I have run into a few that think that is SIN with a big S.
 We are to scout for any sin in the camp,except ours of course. Keep an eagle eye out for any sabbath breaker and plaster the name via the internet. No in between meal snacks, Those "Little Debbies" are far more important than they look. Let's not forgey divorce,allowed only if the abusive spouse committs physical adultry.
Wasn't it a cause for concern if a child did more than wade in the water? No swimming on sabbath. That was another that got my brothers and I in a lot of trouble. We played in the woods by our house. It had a great creek. When it was 95 degrees we would often spend sabbath afternoon in the creek,not wading.
That was another that got us in big serious trouble.

Can you list what is acceptable? As far as I see it is a mighty short list and one comprised of EW books and the bible

Habanero

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2008, 08:19:20 AM »

Bonnie - Thank you for your explanation of your game.  Makes sense now.  I was fortunate to go to church school from 4th grade on and never met that type of "Christian" at church that I remember.  (or maybe I was perfect!  :ROFL:)  

You must have not liked sports and wore jeans. That is a sin that can lead heaven knows where. I also went to church school.

It was one of those little games children play,my mother never knew. Had she known we would have known immediately what to do with us. When this couple and a couple of others would walk by my brothers and I we would begin singing softly,  "When the saint's come marching in" We thought it hilarious .They knew they didn't like it,but could never make the connection and would just frown.
Most kids are pretty adept at coping. Might now be the prescibed way but...
Bonnie! How unhistorical Adventist of you! Sports? A girl wearing pants? Mercy! Lol!!! Sounds like you and your brothers were hilarious.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2008, 08:25:28 AM »

Bonnie! How unhistorical Adventist of you! Sports? A girl wearing pants? Mercy! Lol!!! Sounds like you and your brothers were hilarious.

We had a lot of fun. Just made sure mom didn't catch us. The most fun was knowing they didn't like what we were doing but they couldn't quite put their finger on why. How can any adult find fault with "When The Saints come Marching In?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up