Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chess,Checkers, Board Games  (Read 12658 times)

tinka

• Veteran Member
Re: Chess,Checkers, Board Games
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 06:45:01 AM »

princesdi,
Drinking, wine drinking, entertainment, can all be done in moderation. In fact anything is possible. But can it???? 

Your definitely right about girls not knowing anything as an egg and being older, it is worse then that. Can't wash clothes, can't cook, can't clean, can't repair clothing, don't know how to care for newborns. All of a sudden its grandparents problem while they have spent their time in peer of school sports, popularity, being book student with a and best in chess, contesting, gaming but all of a sudden reality hits. You don't believe this, look in statistics. The necessities of life happen and their heads are out the door or full of air. Anybody can throw clothes in a washer you say. But how do they come out looking clean? Whites and jeans together and all that sort of thing. There is no clue. OF course through their laziness they let the clothes in the dryer to stink while they are doing community crafts. They do not even consider what an iron is. The children going to school mildewed clothes. I am sorry but in these last days all is evident what children are taught. I do not expect anything I say on here is relevent to any and likewise to the protectors of DS deeds. It is the same frame of mind. I know as 2 sons married professionals straight a students and total distruction of their families and brand new house within a year. Poppy and grammy took it all that we could to help with saying nothing to cause anything. You cannot change spots as the training had to be done at time of birth. We have heard from many of this generation our exact problems. Our 4 daughters never left our home without knowing the preparation of food, gardening, canning, cleanliness of clothes, sewing, homemaker, and care of children, hygiene and now are professional. Their father taught our sons. This is what taught common sense. They all are hard workers. But like I say I am not sure some entertainment has not made them learn a thing or two outside what they had at home. They have suffered the mistakes they chose. Entertainment provided to our children were horses, pets, swimming, camping, fishing, everything family. We found too much fun other then gaming. We did buy monoply, checkers but they were never interested long enough to even end a game. Our sons were up at 5 before school trapping for furs for spending money. They spent much time in wildlife, I did find my 2 "Hucks" down the river about 5 miles one day at 8 and 10 going on a trip with Grandma's boat. The game warden came to ask where they were?  We never put our children in any competition. None play cards, etc.. they just do not have the time or interest. There is a difference in training and how they end up with abilities to function properly for the good of others. I come from a huge family and much experience and was so lucky to have a mother that taught how to get everything done no matter how big the family. Clean house, clean beds, clean clothes, good food, prepared from garden, we all were taught to help. She was sick for one year and I was the oldest. I never had time for games and did not realize I would have to have that training for my large family. I was 11 and baked pies, and meals, and helped neighbors in farm work and meals. I am noted for a good cook and can make dishes that you can mistake for real meat and not use the insipid recipes that are on market. I had an Adventist that came to visit and would not eat my food because he thought it was real sausage. He gave it to the dog. until he was embarrassed that I made it from scratch. It looked real and tasted real. My apple pie takes first place where ever. I have given it to other people to enter. These are the things I feel is essential to making home happy. Not being an A student or best in compition. For my self I cannot feel it is time worth spent when so much better to do. As far as I am concerned games are devised to take away from what I enjoyed so much in life with so little.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 08:21:20 AM »

PrincessDi

Isn't that pathetic. 22 straight loses to such a simple game.
We always met with the very large extended family on sat. night,Then it was popcorn by the dishpanful and lemonade. For those to young for rook we played other age appropriate board games.
Never did get the hang of why this was so frowned on.

My boys learned how to cook,do laundry,and clean as well as having fun playing games with cousins and friends. My boys still do laundry quite frequently and iron their own clothing.
I don't get the connection between a poorly trained child,one that is trained in the day to day necessities and board games or rook
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 08:24:51 AM by bonnie »
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 09:18:03 AM »

t is quite "pathetic" as in this generation it now has progressed into the most devestating games of "Intendo" and distruction. I think that is the name of all these tv games. Hours upon hours of distruction for a gaming mind that maybe has become dull with simple "mIoderations". I am quite sure you will find rightneousness in this too. You see"moderation" never leads to "perfection" of "Santification" (belief) which "justification" (do as you believe) (Accountability of your belief) again is debatable in the circles. "Perfection" is the best you can do progressing in a lifetime (covered by perfection) in the end and not condem someone elses lifestyle while your deciding and riding the line. This is the way I see it. So game on and who cares? In fact the gamers need to keep supporting the game of 3bn. gamer takes all. Games come in all forms. I understand what has happened to Adventism. Just old time thinking in the past. Just like she said. It will be  a new day a new time and forget the old in coming generations...until the last. "All "things good" will look bad and all "bad things" will look good. It's here. Unbelievable but true. Was just trying to explain that when your life is geared to play that the basics are neglected more and more. and you come back saying-- "pathetic"

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 09:32:56 AM »

t is quite "pathetic" as in this generation it now has progressed into the most devestating games of "Intendo" and distruction. I think that is the name of all these tv games. Hours upon hours of distruction for a gaming mind that maybe has become dull with simple "mIoderations". I am quite sure you will find rightneousness in this too. You see"moderation" never leads to "perfection" of "Santification" (belief) which "justification" (do as you believe) (Accountability of your belief) again is debatable in the circles. "Perfection" is the best you can do progressing in a lifetime (covered by perfection) in the end and not condem someone elses lifestyle while your deciding and riding the line. This is the way I see it. So game on and who cares? In fact the gamers need to keep supporting the game of 3bn. gamer takes all. Games come in all forms. I understand what has happened to Adventism. Just old time thinking in the past. Just like she said. It will be  a new day a new time and forget the old in coming generations...until the last. "All "things good" will look bad and all "bad things" will look good. It's here. Unbelievable but true. Was just trying to explain that when your life is geared to play that the basics are neglected more and more. and you come back saying-- "pathetic"

Why don't you go back and look who I was responding to.
Playing games for relaxation and family time does not indicate my life is geared to play. What parents allow or provide for their children instead of teaching basic life skills is not something you or I have any control over. We were not talking of hours and hours of play time .

My sons began working the summer they each turned 13 for their father. Always a 10 if not 12 hour work day,6 days a week many times. If they had some down time on sat evening or if not working on a sun. Their ife was not geared to play.
Most respon sible parents can actually play games with their children and teach them life skills as well.

It really is tough to follow that this somehow includes 3abn
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 09:59:16 AM »

Its the mind set in all things. What do you call a strategy that can undermine a religious group to give money to gratify their expensive taste's of entertainment and lifestyle through their...ummm "Lets see, if I make this move you will move here and if you move there, I can move here".. Yes, now let me count the money."   Can you tell me where DS gets his own money?? What or who did he use to get it??  Moderation in all things??  This hasn't been a game you say???? You can't make connections?? hmmmm. It has been a wonderful training in strategy!! Strategy can be used for the good or for the bad. Most though are not attorneys, lawyers, judges or teachers that these assets could be used against the bad. We usually have to pay someone to get us out of others bad strategy against us.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 10:08:35 AM »

Its the mind set in all things. What do you call a strategy that can undermine a religious group to give money to gratify their expensive taste's of entertainment and lifestyle through their...ummm "Lets see, if I make this move you will move here and if you move there, I can move here".. Yes, now let me count the money."   Can you tell me where DS gets his own money?? What or who did he use to get it??  Moderation in all things??  This hasn't been a game you say???? You can't make connections?? hmmmm. It has been a wonderful training in strategy!! Strategy can be used for the good or for the bad. Most though are not attorneys, lawyers, judges or teachers that these assets could be used against the bad. We usually have to pay someone to get us out of others bad strategy against us.

One of the reasons I personally have a hard time putting much faith in any evangelist where the only money obtained is from others. Where he use to get it,I have no idea,perhaps before 3ABN  he had a salaried job.
It is quite a stretch to go from checkers and chess to any issues that might need attention  on 3ABN
Whatever DS faults or deceptions,I doubt it is because of checkers.

No I do not make the connection between board games and any issue involving 3ABN.

I am thankful the rearing of my children is done and my husband and I are both pleased with the life choices they made. I know where my sons,DIL's and grandchildren are on sabbath morning. That is with a board game or two and rook. For me I will stick with the game plan that worked for my boys

Buttercup Roberts

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 05:04:36 PM »

princesdi,
Drinking, wine drinking, entertainment, can all be done in moderation. In fact anything is possible. But can it???? 

Your definitely right about girls not knowing anything as an egg and being older, it is worse then that. Can't wash clothes, can't cook, can't clean, can't repair clothing, don't know how to care for newborns. All of a sudden its grandparents problem while they have spent their time in peer of school sports, popularity, being book student with a and best in chess, contesting, gaming but all of a sudden reality hits. You don't believe this, look in statistics. The necessities of life happen and their heads are out the door or full of air. Anybody can throw clothes in a washer you say. But how do they come out looking clean? Whites and jeans together and all that sort of thing. There is no clue. OF course through their laziness they let the clothes in the dryer to stink while they are doing community crafts. They do not even consider what an iron is. The children going to school mildewed clothes. I am sorry but in these last days all is evident what children are taught. I do not expect anything I say on here is relevent to any and likewise to the protectors of DS deeds. It is the same frame of mind. I know as 2 sons married professionals straight a students and total distruction of their families and brand new house within a year. Poppy and grammy took it all that we could to help with saying nothing to cause anything. You cannot change spots as the training had to be done at time of birth. We have heard from many of this generation our exact problems. Our 4 daughters never left our home without knowing the preparation of food, gardening, canning, cleanliness of clothes, sewing, homemaker, and care of children, hygiene and now are professional. Their father taught our sons. This is what taught common sense. They all are hard workers. But like I say I am not sure some entertainment has not made them learn a thing or two outside what they had at home. They have suffered the mistakes they chose. Entertainment provided to our children were horses, pets, swimming, camping, fishing, everything family. We found too much fun other then gaming. We did buy monoply, checkers but they were never interested long enough to even end a game. Our sons were up at 5 before school trapping for furs for spending money. They spent much time in wildlife, I did find my 2 "Hucks" down the river about 5 miles one day at 8 and 10 going on a trip with Grandma's boat. The game warden came to ask where they were?  We never put our children in any competition. None play cards, etc.. they just do not have the time or interest. There is a difference in training and how they end up with abilities to function properly for the good of others. I come from a huge family and much experience and was so lucky to have a mother that taught how to get everything done no matter how big the family. Clean house, clean beds, clean clothes, good food, prepared from garden, we all were taught to help. She was sick for one year and I was the oldest. I never had time for games and did not realize I would have to have that training for my large family. I was 11 and baked pies, and meals, and helped neighbors in farm work and meals. [bold]I am noted for a good cook and can make dishes that you can mistake for real meat and not use the insipid recipes that are on market. I had an Adventist that came to visit and would not eat my food because he thought it was real sausage. He gave it to the dog. until he was embarrassed that I made it from scratch. It looked real and tasted real. My apple pie takes first place where ever. I have given it to other people to enter. [/bold]These are the things I feel is essential to making home happy. Not being an A student or best in compition. For my self I cannot feel it is time worth spent when so much better to do. As far as I am concerned games are devised to take away from what I enjoyed so much in life with so little.

Tinka, how delightful that you have acquired a reputation for being such a good cook.  I for one tend to stick to recipes and am not very good at creating something new on my own.  Would you mind posting some of your recipes in the Healthy Choice Section here at Adventtalk?  I know many would love to try some of your recipes for items "that you could mistake for real meat" and that apple pie recipe would be great for Thanksgiving Dinner.  I am sure Sister would not mind sharing the limelight there with you.  It would be great fun to try some of these prized recipes for ourselves. 

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 07:16:51 PM »

[The actual recipe for Tinka's Apple Pie is now in the Healthy Choices Forum   Emma

Buttercups,
First of all the basics I start with usually comes from about an acre of garden of growing everything. I am not doing these things right now but for all the homemaking years. Learn to fix everything very simple and tasty. Know what to put together.  What I am working on right now is a hot dog that taste really close to real. There is none on the market that I can stomach. vegetarian. I just need to get the texture a little more right. Also I make hamburger patties freeze them in large batches. They are still good at a year old I discovered a pack hidden and tried them. Still good!! Always have them on hand for company, used them at weddings, etc. Those recipes I won't share because if I can get the hot dog perfected, I want to put it on the market along with the burgers. I also am working out to what I think is good in texture and taste.  I have a friend that might help me market as that end of things I do not know.  I am not into soy beans at all unless just a very small quantity as most come from genetically engineered. Seed is hardly healthy unless you grow it yourself from organic or heirloom seeds impossible to eat healthy. Of course in Lev. it told not to mess with the creation of seed of which they must have even back then or it would not have mentioned it. So that leaves you more or less to work with just the simple things. I like to work with gluten but not much in a recipe. It is the procedure on how you cook it. The sausage is easy. I do start out from scratch with this. You can make it taste like breaded veal, sausage it just takes the right seasoning and cooking procedures. I cook each twice in two different ways to get what I want out of it. The first cooking will last refridgerated for at least 2 weeks and then you can do the second cooking when ever. This way you always have good food on hand prepared ahead and always ready for pop in company.  I make meatloafs and have basics to use for cabbage rolls. Hot stuffed Joe's, Chili and Chili sauce for the hot dogs. Everything is from veg, grains, nuts except I do use some gluten but not a whole lot. I do have to say that none of this came quick but years of trying to fix very tasty dishes where you could not hardly tell the difference because of a huge family that did eat just the clean meats and very picky. I like to fool them sometimes. Actually my back ground is Slovenian and cooking was alway a must. It was never a pan, casserole, or dish but big roasters full. (Mock) Chicken and noodles, vegetable soup, and potatoes, carrots, celry, onions together fixed is always the most basic you can make that is very satisfying to take to Pot Luck in a whole roaster full. As all can be prepared the day before and so easy.

I can tell you what is really a big favorite dish that we have straight out of the garden and that is cut equal parts of garden onions, with equal parts, of green peppers, red, orange,yellow (butter) and cook until limp, have as many quartered tomatoes as you like that equal the onions and peppers, setting ready (raw) to mix in when onions and peppers are done. Put all the tomatoes on top and just mix in until tomatoes are warm and juicy. Now this looks pretty. I make as much as a gal or two in huge pan. I love this because when ever you go to the fair this is the smell that is familiar that they pour on to steak and meat sandwiches. But then after this is complete --just simple cooking  for  almost all raw veg. with a lot of tomatoes and juice is prepared I put it over or just dump large amount of rice mixed through. I have taken big roasters of this to church for Sabbath. I know most are not into the butter anymore, but I still go along with EGW stating that a little butter and milk to help out vegetables sometimes is just what she does to make it palatable. The only other thing you have in this fresh veg and rice dish is a little salt when cooking the rice. Even if you have rice the day before and left over you can always put it into the onion, peppers, and tomatoes.
I might add that I am very allergic to beans, peas, or legumes so I cook very simple and moderately. I will share my apple pie recipe with you because still everyone has their own technique and seems it comes out different even with the same recipe.

Please excuse this extra long recipe because I took it to the dentist office where the whole staff had some and the girls that never cooked or made apple pie asked me to fill in every detail so theirs could taste the same. I admit that Hydrogenated shortening is not the best but sometime I cut that and use butter instead. or half and half. I might add here that I only do this mouth watering pie about 2-3 times a year. As lemon, peach, and Black rasberry fill in at times. (Pumpkin is the best family recipe) and that is never, never, ever given out as our daughters under no circumstances give it either. None is better then this one. Great grandmother has passed it down.  I just love cooking.....but it has to be right (smile) I am my own critique..... Thank you for being friendly and hope you like the recipe. As it has taken first place in contests and at fair.HOpe it turns out alright for you.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 10:45:15 PM by Emma »

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 07:49:22 PM »

:oops:  so sorry as I think I posted in wrong place again about the recipes. Guess I do not know how to get it where it should go. Hope you get the obove post in case it is transfered somewhere else.

Emma

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2008, 10:39:21 PM »

Tinka, if you have more recipes to post, go to the Healthy Choices Section.  I will change this one for you.

Emma
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 10:42:46 PM by Emma »

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2008, 02:49:09 AM »

Thank you Emma,
I'll find my way there.

Emma

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2008, 08:08:25 AM »

It is in the Specialty Forums between Pets ,and Hobbies and Crafts, before you get to 3ABN! :D

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 06:31:23 PM »

I am so sorry I was sooooo very late responding to this thread.  Bonnie that sounded like a great time!  We are now at our church trying to have game night as least once a month.  It ihas gotten so huge that we have to restrict to those with large homes.  LOL!!!

I am so sorry, Tinka.  The more you post about yourself, the more I understand your point of view.  Now, I have to stay with Bonnie in that you can't make draw any similarities between DS/3ABN, and playing games.  The first and most obvious reason is because a very small percentage of people who even play board games, etc. have even heard of 3ABN.  It is just too much of a stretch.  I also believe that both Bonnie and I have told you that we were raised playing games, etc, and neighter of us left home with the basic skills, I know I didn't. In fact, my Mom has stopped cooking many things, claiming that I am the better cook.  We cleaned, cooked, did laundry, etc.  However, my parents also took time to sit with us(foster children included) and play games, have family time.  It is one of the fondest memories, and it has helped in me being well rounded as a person.  Again with Bonnie, I can't understand the fear about games.  As with anything all things in moderation.

PrincessDi

Isn't that pathetic. 22 straight loses to such a simple game.
We always met with the very large extended family on sat. night,Then it was popcorn by the dishpanful and lemonade. For those to young for rook we played other age appropriate board games.
Never did get the hang of why this was so frowned on.

My boys learned how to cook,do laundry,and clean as well as having fun playing games with cousins and friends. My boys still do laundry quite frequently and iron their own clothing.
I don't get the connection between a poorly trained child,one that is trained in the day to day necessities and board games or rook
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up