Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cream of Pumpkin Soup Topped with Curried Pecans  (Read 4141 times)

Sister

• Veteran Member
Cream of Pumpkin Soup Topped with Curried Pecans
« on: November 21, 2008, 06:23:20 PM »

Cream of Pumpkin Soup Topped with Curried Pecans

Serves 4

Creamy and delicious with a delightful crunch of nuts, this sweet and spicy soup is a great way to begin Thanksgiving dinner.  The curry flavor gets the meal off to a rousing start.  It signals that this isn’t your run-of-the mill Thanksgiving dinner.  This recipe is from Quick-Fix Vegetarian.

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
2 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup pecan pieces
1 (14-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 375° F. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.  Add the onion. Cover and cook until softened, 5 minutes.  Stir in 1 tablespoon of the curry powder and the pumpkin puree, then whisk in the broth until smooth.  Add 1 tablespoon of the maple syrup and season to taste with salt and pepper.  Simmer for 10 minutes to allow flavors to develop, stirring occasionally. While the soup is simmering, make the curried pecans.  In a small bowl, combine the pecan pieces with the remaining maple syrup and toss to coat.  Sprinkle with the remaining curry powder, tossing to coat.  Place the pecans in a small baking dish and bake until toasted, about 10 minutes.  Set aside to cool. Meanwhile, use an immersion blender to puree the soup right in the pot.  Otherwise, transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.  Stir back into the pot.  Return the soup to the stovetop, turning the heat to low.  Whisk in the coconut milk, taste to adjust seasonings. Heat until hot, do not boil.  Serve the soup garnished with the pecans.

Buttercup Roberts

Re: Cream of Pumpkin Soup Topped with Curried Pecans
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 09:16:15 AM »

I want to thank you for sharing some of Robin Robertson's recipes here.  She has been one of my favorite cookbook authors since I discovered her Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook several years ago.  I was also pleased to see she was featured at http://www.vegan.com/recipes/vegan-thanksgiving-recipes-robin-robertson/ with these thanksgiving recipes you have been posting. 

I know I will be making this recipe for Thanksgiving dinner along with a couple of others.

More of Robin's recipe's can be found at her webpage: http://www.robinrobertson.com/index.html  along with a special on her latest cookbook that I will be adding to my shelf.

Sister

• Veteran Member
Re: Cream of Pumpkin Soup Topped with Curried Pecans
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 11:42:38 AM »

Buttercup, I believe that Robin's recipes can be both a tasty and relatively easy to prepare and would be an excellent addition in preparing a lovely Thanksgiving family meal. Is that book you are planning to buy Vegan Fire & Spice? If so, I have not seen this yet. Please let us all know how you like it and share a favorite recipe you have tried!
Pages: [1]   Go Up