Theology Category > Doctrinal Discussions

Other Texts besides the Bible?

(1/3) > >>

mrst53:
Since I am not a SDA, I am wondering if you use other texts besides the Bible. Do you use the books between the Old and New Testament that the King James left out? I often see other texts cited and wonder where they are from. Thanks

Emma:
MrsT, SDAs do not usually refer to the Apocrypha in their serious studies.

Anything that comes from the Bible should be recognisable by the attribution.. eg Matthew 1:1, in the standard book, chapter and verse notation.

Other authors including EG White may be quoted,  "...................."  Author, Book, title of page etc but these quotations would be regarding as sources secondary to the Bible which is the basis of SDA belief, ie the Bible is the primary 'text'.

tinka:
Mrst53

In my experience of studying the King James Version is most widely used by SDA. I have found in New Versions some discrepancies that are some what misleading even with one word.  Many will argue makes no difference but it does. We cannot study and leave out any books Old or New as they both need each other for complete understanding.  If you have extra books then you must have a Catholic Bible and yes, there will be quite a difference. If you match the 10 commandments, you will find they changed and revamped them from the original. They change the 4Th commandment and leave it out. Check it out.

Sorry, Mrst53, after reading Emma's answer I see what you mean now. Emma has I think what you were asking.

mrst53:
 :dogwag:No I do not have the Catholic Bible, so what I have seen quoted must have been from EG White.(which is whom to the SDA?)

tinka:
Mrst53,

In 1844 a young girl had a dream or vision along with others having the identical dream, she was the latter to have the dream but she very carefully entered into one of the most amazing stories you will read. Don't be worried she was not a psychic. She wrote it down in a small few page book called Early Writings, If you go on the Internet and bring up "White Estate" her books are free to read. Early Writings is so amazing that you will want to not stop till the end. You can read it pretty quick.  She went on through her whole life with many books of finer details but still biblical of great insight from visions. She did not want to be called a prophet Just a messenger of what she was inspired to write. You will be amazed. She dedicated her whole life to writing without an education. She gathered all historical records that belonged to Biblical History to only prove future prophecy and the truth of the Bible and along with visions wrote the most religious amount of books that are in the DC. library. The work had to be tremendous  as the books show tons of historical happenings written from all ages.  The most beautiful is the life of Christ called "Desire of Ages. and the History of all History is called "Great Controversy". This is a real treat to get on and read all for free. This is a series called Conflict of the Ages. If you have read the Bible through first you will with out doubt know she was inspired the same as the old Bible writers. Her writings are vibrant, the best psychology, and enlightening, with the most reasonable and common sense explanations that sometimes you don't get at first reading of Bible verses.  She teaches you to understand by directions for one to open up to Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit comes to an open mind. He really does. She just directs to it.... I hope you can read it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version