Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: To tell or not to tell  (Read 6645 times)

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
To tell or not to tell
« on: August 26, 2010, 02:34:27 PM »

When one finds out about child molestation allegations, and how someone else covered them up, does one tell, or does one not tell?

princessdi

• Veteran Member
Re: To tell or not to tell
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 03:51:06 PM »

You should ALWAYS tell...the authorities..preferrably BEFORE you post it ono the world wide web.

There are also people who are "mandated reporters"(I may not have the name correct) but they are people like teacher, preachers principals, therapists, counselors, foster parents etc. who are obligated by law to report once the situation comes to their attention.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

GRAT

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 04:14:13 PM »

Tell - pure and simple.  In this case what good would it have done to tell the authorities and which authorities would you tell?  If it had not been brought to attention on the WWW who knows how many other boys' lives would have been forever damaged.  Would the ones that finally came forward have done that if they did not know that there were people out there that knew the truth and would believe them?  Tommy probably would still be at 3ABM with access to children and no one dogging his and DS tail about the allegations and cover up.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 04:19:30 PM »

Good point, GRAT. I know of three people in particular who came forward as a direct or indirect result of the public attention given the matter.

And when Tommy left 3ABN the last time, Danny promised that he would be back as often as possible. So the continued dogging has probably helped protect children.

mrst53

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 05:42:09 PM »

Always tell and if nothing is done, tell someone else... I worked at a Christian School as an aide..I reported what I( and another aide) truly believed that was abuse to the director of the school.  She refused to report it. This was an instance of sexual abuse. Another instance was physical abuse- I reported that... Nothing was done about that.. To this day, it prays on my conscience that I did not go to the police and report these abuses. I would have lost my job( and I needed the job) but I wish I had.

I did lose a tutoring job when I found out that a father was physically abusing not only his children but his wife. I had spoken to his children about it and mentioned it to the wife( who was very educated). Next thing I new, I no longer had a job- but I believe the abuse stopped from what the daughter said. The man was a deacon in the church. My knowing about the abuse was something he didn't like, but he was afraid I would go to the Pastor about it.

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 07:16:34 PM »

Good point, GRAT. I know of three people in particular who came forward as a direct or indirect result of the public attention given the matter.
Yes, but that's not always a good thing, either.
Duane Clem
It's not about religion, It's about a relationship

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 07:42:40 PM »

Of course you tell! Not doing so is immoral and un-christian.  It is each individuals choice to be someone who stands for what is right, or you can chose to be like those over on 3atalk (blind to the truth!)

Do these people have no shame? I really want to know what makes them still stand in defense. How much are you paying them Danny Shelton? You have a man who is ADMITTED that he molested these two men. Yet, these oxy-morons still have the NERVE to defend him!!

Brad Walker should be ashamed to see the things that have been posted about his brother on this site. Brad Walker's past has been less than pleasant, so he has some NERVE to allow this filth against not only Alex, but Alex's family.

I am going to use the common line that the Sheltons love to use completley our of context: Those without sin, cast the first stone!! None of you have the right to cast any stone at all. You have never met Alex or the other victim, well I have, and they are both well-groomed Christian men.

Alex currently serves as a full time Pastor. His community loves him, his church loves him, and so does his friends!

We all talk on here about Tommy's health. How about the health of his victims? Both of them have physical conditions as well. I have seen one of their health issues questioned by some of these defenders, how dare you! It is a clear case of "Oh poor pitiful Tommy, and crap on his victims." This makes me so sick.

The day of truth is coming and one day everyone of us will give account. Hell is real, and I'm afraid that some that post on here are going to end up in that very place! Repent because the day is coming!
When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. --
Billy Graham

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 07:57:16 PM »

Care to elaborate?

Repent because the day is coming!

Amen!

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 11:03:09 PM »

Care to elaborate?

Repent because the day is coming!

Amen!

Bob, I am a firm believer that God still saves sinners. I have found alot of sin and sinners that post on this forum. I truly believe that God can change their hearts.

In my view the cover-up and the continuing support of a child molestor and an adulterer is pure sin, and is acts of the Devil.  I will continue to pray for the "defenders". I truly believe that their hearts are wrong, and their eyes are blind.
When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. --
Billy Graham

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 09:45:04 AM »

Care to elaborate?
In many ways, coming forward can be even more painful than the act itself. I have had so many memories resurrected from all this, and not good ones. Glenn Dryden has caused just as much havoc in my life as Tommy Shelton has, simply because he wanted to look like a hero. Now he sits back and watches all the hell he has caused and pays no price for it. The sick part is, he enjoys it.

Sexual abuse should be reported to law enforcement, not Walt Thompson. 
Duane Clem
It's not about religion, It's about a relationship

mrst53

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 11:19:37 AM »

I agree, sexual abuse should go to the police, if the Pastor does nothing and if it's the Pastor, go right to the Police- the deacons will hide it every time.

RBF

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 12:32:31 PM »

Is there really any question that one should report known sexual abuse to the police?  My "pastor" is responsible for the health of his church and has an obligation to deal with it in the local congregation but there is a broader picture than just that.  There's a world out there that I have a moral and civic obligation to as well.  Please report to the police and to your local congregation.  In some cases, you may be obligated up to fourth hand knowledge.

May I recommend the book Sins of the Father by Marianne Morris.  Too bad this story is, in many ways, being repeated.  Someday my beloved church will learn...

RBF

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 02:10:47 PM »

Exactly Duane!  This is why it is so horrible that the TS supporters give his victims such a hard time.  They, in essence, victimze you all all over again.   One day they will see that....I am pryaing that it is not judgement day.

In many ways, coming forward can be even more painful than the act itself. I have had so many memories resurrected from all this, and not good ones. Glenn Dryden has caused just as much havoc in my life as Tommy Shelton has, simply because he wanted to look like a hero. Now he sits back and watches all the hell he has caused and pays no price for it. The sick part is, he enjoys it.

Sexual abuse should be reported to law enforcement, not Walt Thompson. 
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi
Pages: [1]   Go Up