Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Rumblings  (Read 9561 times)

GRAT

Re: New Rumblings
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 08:17:40 AM »

It seems quite amusing when some of the people claim they are stating the final wisdom they do that on the basis of their lack of knowledge.

Yes, even Linda made a mistake when she was telling me about the court hearings. She still did not understand the Norwegian postal system and was under the impression that 1593 was Arild Abrhamsen's private postal number. I suppose her uncertainty resulted in her being slow in her response to the question asked, and for that reason people claim she put up a fight to avoid giving her address.

What most of you do not realize is that 1593 is the postal number for that area and is, therefore, the correct postal address for several hundred people. That makes no difference to the mailman - some of those who deliver are ladies, some are men. They know all the residents. When they know Arild is at his clinic they bring his mail there, otherwise they take it to his home which is several miles away from there. People know each other miles apart.

So who says that this is a waste of time?  A person learns something new each day.  That is very interesting about the postal numbers but do they also have physical house address'?  If you wanted directions and didn't  know the area how would that work?  Do the police and fire departments have areas like that and know where everyone lives?  Just curious  :usa:

Johann

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 10:04:46 AM »

So who says that this is a waste of time?  A person learns something new each day.  That is very interesting about the postal numbers but do they also have physical house address'?  If you wanted directions and didn't  know the area how would that work?  Do the police and fire departments have areas like that and know where everyone lives?  Just curious  :usa:

Maybe some just count the curves on the road, or how many moose they saw? Actually you do not see the moose every day, but there are a number of them around. Dr. Arild Abrahamsen has neither a name nor a number on his clinic, and yet up to 50 people on a day will find their way. They come from all over Norway and other countries, even though he's never had an ad in a paper. I have met quite a number of people in the area who told me he saved their lives after other doctors had done all they could.

So I suppose the local police and fire departments have a way of finding their way around.

We don't have a street number either, but all the houses and farms in the community have their own names. It helps when my wife is along because we can often drive for an hour past farms and houses where she not only knows the names of the buildings, but also the people, grandparents, children, nephews and nieces.

Yes, we live in a different world. I once visited a factory manager in the Faeroe Islands. He excused himself that he had no money, because something unusual had happened during the night - someone had stolen their money. He showed me an empty box for cigars kept in an unlocked drawer which served as their safe. Somebody had ventured into that drawer during the night, but he assured me they did not have many people who would do a thing like that, so he was sure they would find the culprit within a few hours, and that he would have to return the money. In a society like that you learn to see how the face reveals a guilty conscience.

GRAT

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 01:46:16 PM »

I don't do well with directions that say to turn at the red barn and go till you see the big oak tree on the hill. (I love to see Moose!  None where I live. Just elk.) Could get very lost.  I am half Swedish and a quarter Norwegian and have always wanted to visit both countries.  Don't want to get sick and in need of Dr. Abrahamsen's services though!  I have also seen pictures of Iceland, just beautiful!!   One of my favorites is one that a church member took of long haired sheep on a hill.  After seeing the photos I have added Iceland to the place's I would like to visit.

We would do better to try to understand other cultures rather then trying to stuff them in to fit ours.  I remember hearing a story of a missionary who went to a country where the women did not wear blouses.  He and his wife insisted that they must not come to church without covering themselves on top.  The men came to the missionaries and asked why they insisted their women dress like prostitutes.   

Johann

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 02:17:10 PM »

Some people are less talkative. This sample comes from Northern Finland.

One winter morning father and son were on their way to work when one of them noticed tracks in the snow.

- Seems like a rabbit passed by, he said.

When they passed the same spot on their way home in the evening the other one answered:

- Yes, it looks like it!

Those were all the words they spoke that day.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up