Theology Category > Doctrinal Discussions

Are the Seven Trumpets of Revelation in the Future?

(1/3) > >>

Artiste:
Will we be seeing a meteorite colliding with planet Earth causing the kind of devastation described with the third trumpet of Revelation 8:10,11?

Or were our church pioneers correct in interpreting this event figuratively and placing it in the past?

Or is there such a thing as dual application in Scripture?

Johann:

--- Quote from: Artiste on March 30, 2012, 10:13:47 PM ---Will we be seeing a meteorite colliding with planet Earth causing the kind of devastation described with the third trumpet of Revelation 8:10,11?

Or were our church pioneers correct in interpreting this event figuratively and placing it in the past?

Or is there such a thing as dual application in Scripture?

--- End quote ---

Our college Bible teacher, Edwin R. Thiele, gave around 1950 several instances of dual application of the prophecies in Revelation. So there is nothing new in accepting a dual application.

Here is a description of a meteorite crater I have seen in Norway.
--- Quote --- It is now shown that the Gardnos-breccia was fommed by a meteorite impact about 650 million years ago.

Around 1963 a hydro-electric tunnel was driven through the breccia for about 3,5 km. The rock that was taken out forms now a large tip a little further up the valley towards the Garnås-farms. Here it is easy to collect rock samples of the breccia.

If one approaches on RV 7 from the south, a left turn is made 6 km north of Nesbyen where a sign points to "Garnås". The road crosses the river Dokkelvi. The tip can soon be seen on the left hand, almost like a dam across the valley. A gravel road goes straight ahead and then turns down towards the tip. The rock is now being crushed and used on building sites and roads.

A large stone block with an eyebolt in it is seen to the right at the toplevel of the tip. This is typical Gardnos-breccia! Do not remove samples from this block. You will find good samples down in the tip. When Dokkelvi river is dry, you obtain a good impression of the different degrees of pulverisation in the Gardnos-breccia in the waterwashed rock surfaces up and downstream. The use of hammer, crowbars og dynamite is forbidden as the watercourse is protected by law. Dokkelvi river runs along the southern side of the tip. A 2 km geological trail starts at the dump. A small exhibit in the Hallingdal Folkemuseum, Nesbyen, presents by photos and rock speciments the Gardnos structure.

HOW

The meteorite arrived with a speed of 20-30 km/sec and had a diameter of about 200 meters It hit a shollow sea with layers of black clay sediment on the bottom. An explosion equal to the strength of several atomic bombs broke through this and into the underlying solid rock, composed of gneis, granite etc.

The crater formed was about 700 m deep and about 5 km wide. The meteorite itself evaporated together with huge amounts of rock. The Gardnos-breccia was formed in the bottom of the crater by crushing and simultaneous rewelding of the rock.

The crater was immediately partly filled with rock fragments and stone dust which fell back. This, together with melted material, formed a rock called suevite which is found above the Gardnos-breccia. All this happened 650 million years ago, just before the Cambrian period.

The crater was then gradually filled to the top and burried by sediments such as gravel, sand and clay which later hardened to conglomerate, sandstone and shale.

During the ensuing millions of years eroding forces have removed the covering layers and most of the craterfill material, so that this bowl shaped sidevalley to the Hallingdalen, corresponds closely to the original crater. Traces of the sediments which once filled this crater are now only found in the wooded hills to the north.
--- End quote ---
Obviously not written by a creationist believing the earth was all created about 6000 years ago.

Artiste:
I feel the dual application principle is very important.

Bob Pickle:
Some of the language of the 3rd trumpet is repeated in the 5th trumpet, namely, a star is said to fall from heaven.

In the 5th trumpet, the star is given a key, which he then uses to open the bottomless pit. Not if a meteorite can operate a key, then maybe that star could be a meteorite. But if not, then how can it be a meteorite? And if it can't be a meteorite in the 5th trumpet, why must it be in the 3rd trumpet?

I think the falling of these stars refers to major losses by leaders of armies. That stars are often associated with armies is clear from many passages, since we have the word "host" sometimes referring to stars, and sometimes to armies.

Judges 5:20  They fought from heaven; the stars in their courses fought against Sisera.

So I think we can make a strong biblical case that the stars of the 3rd and 5th trumpets are military leaders or kings leading their armies to battle.

tinka:
It seems to me the word "key" possible could be more of a key in symbolism and not an actual key --then the "star". I could be very wrong but that has puzzled me too. and my first instinct was
In other words the key will show how, when and what as we understand as the bottomless pit is opened for the evil hosts and are then bound to and no longer have the boundaries they have now??? In other words what action will happen as that takes place?  Brought on by the Star, but then it says called "wormwood", and right now I sort of forget the study on that word. I could be entirely wrong. But this is definitely interesting.

But on another thought won't that happen as the redeemed are already taken. Then again it says, 1/3 would be destroyed. guess I need to study that and like to hear other comments.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version