Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ancient views on women by religious leaders.  (Read 5730 times)

Gregory

• Veteran Member
Ancient views on women by religious leaders.
« on: September 15, 2012, 05:34:13 AM »

Johann had suggest that the opponents of women in church leadership hold views that stem from the Roman Catholic Chruch.

Quintus Septimius Florens Tertullianus who is known in the West as Tertullian wrote a work which has been titled:  ON THE APPAREL OF WOMEN:
Chapter 1. Introduction. Modesty in Apparel Becoming to Women, in Memory of the Introduction of Sin into the World Through a Woman

And do you not know that you are (each) an Eve?  The sentence of God on this sex of yours lives in this age: the guilt must of necessity live too. You are the devil's gateway: you are the unsealer of that (forbidden) tree: you are the first deserter of the divine law: you are she who persuaded him whom the devil was not valiant enough to attack. You destroyed so easily God's image, man. On account of your desert— that is, death— even the Son of God had to die.

With this view of women, one can clearly see that he would not want women to perform any religious function.

In fairness, it must be stated that Tertullian was a Montanist.  Montanist were beleived by the Roman Catholic church to hold some views that were not in accord with the teachings of the Roman Catholic Chruch.  But, I have posted this here as I believe that it sheds light on what Johann has been posting in regard to women and their place in ministry.

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
Re: Ancient views on women by religious leaders.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 08:03:57 PM »

It matters not what the "Monatist" taught, the Holy Roman See taught, Martin Luther taught or what Johann "thinks". It comes down to "Thus Sayeth The Lord".

And now it comes down to whether the Seventh-day Adventist church will continue to be a Bible Based Faith or just another religious entity that has fallen into apostasy based upon the
wisdom of Man.

Unfortunately, it is clear the current direction of the NAD leadership and it's various unions. It will be open warfare from hereon in and I do not expect an easy or speedy resolution. It will be a pitched battle, Division by Division, Union by Union, Conference by Conference and Church by Church. Each member must decide whether he or she will follow the Bible or Apostate Leadership.

The very roots of the Remnant will come forth from this REAL revival and reformation, in time, and the Sunday Law debate will be the final defining seperation of the wheat from the chaffe and determine just who will give the Loud Cry Message.

Choose now whom you will serve and what price you are REALLY willing to pay to make the Bible the absolute source of Faith.

Gailon Arthur Joy
AUReporter

SDAminister

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 10:53:19 AM »

Johann had suggest that the opponents of women in church leadership hold views that stem from the Roman Catholic Chruch.

Quintus Septimius Florens Tertullianus who is known in the West as Tertullian wrote a work which has been titled:  ON THE APPAREL OF WOMEN:
Chapter 1. Introduction. Modesty in Apparel Becoming to Women, in Memory of the Introduction of Sin into the World Through a Woman

And do you not know that you are (each) an Eve?  The sentence of God on this sex of yours lives in this age: the guilt must of necessity live too. You are the devil's gateway: you are the unsealer of that (forbidden) tree: you are the first deserter of the divine law: you are she who persuaded him whom the devil was not valiant enough to attack. You destroyed so easily God's image, man. On account of your desert— that is, death— even the Son of God had to die.

With this view of women, one can clearly see that he would not want women to perform any religious function.

In fairness, it must be stated that Tertullian was a Montanist.  Montanist were beleived by the Roman Catholic church to hold some views that were not in accord with the teachings of the Roman Catholic Chruch.  But, I have posted this here as I believe that it sheds light on what Johann has been posting in regard to women and their place in ministry.

Gregory,
What nature do you believe Jesus took at his incarnation?

Gregory

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 04:43:09 PM »

I don't believe that I have ever made a public statement on that question.

I have neither an interest nor an intention to discuss that issue here.

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 06:38:22 PM »

It also seems to be an off-topic question to me.

SDAminister

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 06:47:38 AM »

I don't believe that I have ever made a public statement on that question.

I have neither an interest nor an intention to discuss that issue here.

I believe that how one believes on this has a direct effect on the issue at hand.

My feeling, and I could be wrong, is that you believe in something other than what the Bible and SOP teaches.

Pages: [1]   Go Up