Theology Category > Dreams & Visions

Are Ellen White's writings the final authority ....?

<< < (3/3)

tinka:
Johann,
Somehow I believe the question is sort of a loaded question. (I may have trouble explaining this)  but I say that because, I believe a person or persons that have that outlook and would ask that question about EGW writings is the final authority is just an issue of their ignorance of her writings or failure to have actually read and just have taken inserts. One that has made a study of the last Message to this generation will never ask that question because it is simply not intended to be a question of final authority but to make better known what was always there and we failed in our ignorance to catch.  A person that has read every book cover to cover is not led to even think of such an outcome as that. I love finer details that i missed in Scripture. Sometimes when she makes statement or tells of vision or inspiration she would relate it back to Scripture.  Then lo and behold as I went there I would ask myself, now how is it that I did not pick up on that. That My friend is the gift that was given her.

People have no trouble going to one of the new version Bibles rewrote to get clarity as they think it gives. EGW gives that clarity that is better then those that she was presented to her better then the New Age Versions of which I do not agree on having. I have many desecration's of the "New Versions" but am not going to get into that. Her books penned was never presented for final authority. She was given a message and she gave it.  Pretty simple I would say...if totally read in each and right context. So when I go to her books and say well EGW wrote this or that it is alway with the knowlege and belief in my own mind, What did Jesus tell her! (smile and this is so loving that he did all he could do by his servant that he could not do to force anyone to love him.) He took the time "In His time"  and she Loved Him enough to do all He could not do!!  as He can only work through human instrument for our salvation. My mind is so vivid at the moment on His Love for us and not to lose us. I must stop here.

Bob Pickle:
Johann is correct in what he describes, despite the fact that James White was dead when Desire of Ages was published.

Desire of Ages was an expansion or rewriting of what Ellen White had written before in 2SP, which she was writing in 1876, and which she is discussing in the quote Johann gave. That quote is recognized as being part of the history of the writing of Desire of Ages.

Johann:
Back in 1876 there were no typewriters available, so everything was written by hand.

Thank you, tinka, I think we are in general agreement. I was not the one who posed this question here. It is a question that has often been asked, and you know that we are to be ready to give an answer, so why not refer to what Ellen White has said herself?

tinka:
Bob and Johann,
I was always aware that Ellen had always working for her others especially since she was aware of her possible grammar being not correct or displayed properly knowing the lack of schooling. Guess I was not thinking of the putting together the Desire of Ages but wouldn't that still be a compilation or gathering of her notes  with the help of others helping put into story of right sequence including all references. I can only imagine the work of it. So now at that point I see where they would be coming for her to reread and give the "final authority" to make sure it meant what she in her mind was inspired "that was right" and now I understand how that question might be asked. Sorry for that lackness of understanding.

princessdi:
I agree that having someone "prrof" her writings for grammatical errors doesn't changed them.  Accomplished writer pay proofreaders, but the thoughts are still their own.

I am in agreement with all those who believe that EGW's writings are not the final word.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version