Theology Category > Dreams & Visions

Are Ellen White's writings the final authority ....?

<< < (2/3) > >>

JohnH:
There's certainly more light to be discovered in the Bible.  Nobody has exhausted that well, not EGW, not anybody.  But as far as what was revealed to her goes, it's to be regarded as final w/r/t whether it's true or not.

"When the power of God testifies as to what is truth, that truth is to stand forever as the truth.  No after suppositions, contrary to the light God has given are to be entertained."  {Notebook Leaflets, Volume 2, p. 157 para. 3}

reddogs:

--- Quote from: RND on May 25, 2008, 12:35:32 PM ---You know RD I don't see it so much as a disagreement by SB with EGW, I see it as SB injecting Islam where Islam doesn't go - which is anywhere in Daniel 7. Islam is, has been and will always be an invention of the same paganism and gnosticism that gives Rome her power.

Dr. Walter Veith has a great presentation that shows the tremendous connection between Catholicism and Islam. I think  SB has dismissed this connection prematurely.

The Islamic Connection

--- End quote ---

Well, its his veiw that he was been working on so he puts that in, but to what end as it doesnt have much in terms of points in history as followers of Islam were more nomadic so dont have much to work with..

RND:

--- Quote from: reddogs on May 27, 2008, 05:32:52 AM ---
--- Quote from: RND on May 25, 2008, 12:35:32 PM ---You know RD I don't see it so much as a disagreement by SB with EGW, I see it as SB injecting Islam where Islam doesn't go - which is anywhere in Daniel 7. Islam is, has been and will always be an invention of the same paganism and gnosticism that gives Rome her power.

Dr. Walter Veith has a great presentation that shows the tremendous connection between Catholicism and Islam. I think  SB has dismissed this connection prematurely.

The Islamic Connection

--- End quote ---

Well, its his veiw that he was been working on so he puts that in, but to what end as it doesnt have much in terms of points in history as followers of Islam were more nomadic so dont have much to work with..

--- End quote ---

You know RD, SB is an extremely well written man with a wealth of knowledge and scholarship that I'll never have or come close to, so I suppose it would be necessary to temper my views based on SB's credentials alone. That said, I would need to see some Biblical proofs, texts that clearly show a connection in Daniel and Revelation with Islam. I just don't see it however.

My guess is that a well educated and learned man such as SB would know and see the connections between Catholicism and Islam, specifically in the way worship is conducted and traditions are upheld between the two. Just the mere fact that both religions have "prayer beads" is an interesting facts that to me indicates the same tendency towards accepting pagan rites and rituals.

BobRyan:
There are two problems here.

When a message is attributed to God Himself - how much error can it have?

1. Wording error? syntax? (maybe -- if this is not a "God said --" kind of ten commandments statement from God) --

2. Doctrinal error? no - it cannot have doctrinal error and the TEST to see IF there is doctrinal error in the message - is the test "sola scriptura".

So if one wants to find incidentals that are NOT provided by God (as in "how many rooms are in the sanitarium at Battle Creek" ) then "yes" lots of room for correction. And "no" - not a doctrine of the church.

in Christ,

Bob

Johann:
One of the most astonishing things I discovered in the writings of Ellen G. White was the story of how she wrote the Desire of Ages. When she had written another chapter or so she would mail the manuscript to her husband to have him and others read it through to make sure the doctrinal points were clear.

Here is first what her son wrote about how his mother had gathered the material:

--- Quote ---  The great events occurring in the life of our Lord were
     presented to her in panoramic scenes as also were the other
     portions of the great controversy. In a few of these scenes,

chronology and geography were clearly presented, but in the
     greater part of the revelation the flashlight scenes, which were
     exceedingly vivid, and the conversations and the controversies,
     which she heard and was able to narrate, were not marked
     geographically or chronologically, and she was left to study the
     Bible and history and the writings of men who had presented the
     life of our Lord to get the chronological and geographical
     connection. {4BIO 378.4}
--- End quote ---

Here is a quotation from a letter Ellen White wrote to her husband. She was in California writing, while he was at Battle Creek.

--- Quote ---     Dear Husband: . . . In regard to publishing my book here, what do you think of it? The manuscript could at once be put in the hands of the printers. Will you please inform us in reference to this.  {MR728 12.4}

I have liberty in writing and I plead with God daily for counsel and that I may be imbued with His Spirit. I then believe that I shall have help and strength and grace to do the will of God. {MR728 12.5}

I am glad you are so free and happy. I never had such an opportunity to write in my life and I mean to make the most of it. . . . {MR728 12.6}

How will it do to read my manuscript to Elders Waggoner and Loughborough? If there is any wording of doctrinal points not so clear as might be, he might discern it. (W. I mean.)--Letter 4a, 1876, pp. 1,2. {MR728 12.7}

--- End quote ---

She still wanted the Brethren to check her  manuscript to make sure the doctrinal points were clear.

I just now noticed the text got warped while saving it, so I made a correction

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version