Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Go and check out the Christians Discuss Forum for committed Christians at  http://www.christians-discuss.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Energy Fears Looming-New Survivalists Prepare  (Read 11737 times)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
Energy Fears Looming-New Survivalists Prepare
« on: May 24, 2008, 04:29:50 PM »

May 24, 2008, 1:32PM
With energy fears looming, new survivalists prepare

By SAMANTHA GROSS
Associated Press

TOOLS
Email  Get section feed 
Print  Recommend (1) 
Comments (18)  Yahoo! Buzz
BUSKIRK, N.Y. — A few years ago, Kathleen Breault was just another suburban grandma, driving countless hours every week, stopping for lunch at McDonald's, buying clothes at the mall, watching TV in the evenings.

That was before Breault heard an author talk about the bleak future of the world's oil supply. Now, she's preparing for the world as we know it to disappear.

Breault cut her driving time in half. She switched to a diet of locally grown foods near her upstate New York home and lost 70 pounds. She sliced up her credit cards, banished her television and swore off plane travel. She began relying on a wood-burning stove.

"I was panic-stricken," the 50-year-old recalled, her voice shaking. "Devastated. Depressed. Afraid. Vulnerable. Weak. Alone. Just terrible."

Convinced the planet's oil supply is dwindling and the world's economies are heading for a crash, some people around the country are moving onto homesteads, learning to live off their land, conserving fuel and, in some cases, stocking up on guns they expect to use to defend themselves and their supplies from desperate crowds of people who didn't prepare.

The exact number of people taking such steps is impossible to determine, but anecdotal evidence suggests that the movement has been gaining momentum in the last few years.

These energy survivalists are not leading some sort of green revolution meant to save the planet. Many of them believe it is too late for that, seeing signs in soaring fuel and food prices and a faltering U.S. economy, and are largely focused on saving themselves.

Some are doing it quietly, giving few details of their preparations — afraid that revealing such information as the location of their supplies will endanger themselves and their loved ones. They envision a future in which the nation's cities will be filled with hungry, desperate refugees forced to go looking for food, shelter and water.

"There's going to be things that happen when people can't get things that they need for themselves and their families," said Lynn-Marie, who believes cities could see a rise in violence as early as 2012.

Lynn-Marie asked to be identified by her first name to protect her homestead in rural western Idaho. Many of these survivalists declined to speak to The Associated Press for similar reasons.

These survivalists believe in "peak oil," the idea that world oil production is set to hit a high point and then decline. Scientists who support idea say the amount of oil produced in the world each year has already or will soon begin a downward slide, even amid increased demand. But many scientists say such a scenario will be avoided as other sources of energy come in to fill the void.

On the PeakOil.com Web site, where upward of 800 people gathered on recent evenings, believers engage in a debate about what kind of world awaits.

Some members argue there will be no financial crash, but a slow slide into harder times. Some believe the federal government will respond to the loss of energy security with a clampdown on personal freedoms. Others simply don't trust that the government can maintain basic services in the face of an energy crisis.

The powers that be, they've determined, will be largely powerless to stop what is to come.

Determined to guard themselves from potentially harsh times ahead, Lynn-Marie and her husband have already planted an orchard of about 40 trees and built a greenhouse on their 7 1/2 acres. They have built their own irrigation system. They've begun to raise chickens and pigs, and they've learned to slaughter them.

The couple have gotten rid of their TV and instead have been reading dusty old books published in their grandparents' era, books that explain the simpler lifestyle they are trying to revive. Lynn-Marie has been teaching herself how to make soap. Her husband, concerned about one day being unable to get medications, has been training to become an herbalist.

By 2012, they expect to power their property with solar panels, and produce their own meat, milk and vegetables. When things start to fall apart, they expect their children and grandchildren will come back home and help them work the land. She envisions a day when the family may have to decide whether to turn needy people away from their door.

"People will be unprepared," she said. "And we can imagine marauding hordes."

So can Peter Laskowski. Living in a woodsy area outside of Montpelier, Vt., the 57-year-old retiree has become the local constable and a deputy sheriff for his county, as well as an emergency medical technician.

"I decided there was nothing like getting the training myself to deal with insurrections, if that's a possibility," said the former executive recruiter.

Laskowski is taking steps similar to environmentalists: conserving fuel, consuming less, studying global warming, and relying on local produce and craftsmen. Laskowski is powering his home with solar panels and is raising fish, geese, ducks and sheep. He has planted apple and pear trees and is growing lettuce, spinach and corn.

Whenever possible, he uses his bicycle to get into town.

"I remember the oil crisis in '73; I remember waiting in line for gas," Laskowski said. "If there is a disruption in the oil supply it will be very quickly elevated into a disaster."

Breault said she hopes to someday band together with her neighbors to form a self-sufficient community. Women will always be having babies, she notes, and she imagines her skills as a midwife will always be in demand.

For now, she is readying for the more immediate work ahead: There's a root cellar to dig, fruit trees and vegetable plots to plant. She has put a bicycle on layaway, and soon she'll be able to bike to visit her grandkids even if there is no oil at the pump.

Whatever the shape of things yet to come, she said, she's done what she can to prepare.

Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
Re: Energy Fears Looming-New Survivalists Prepare
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 05:29:20 PM »

"'There's going to be things that happen when people can't get things that they need for themselves and their families,' said Lynn-Marie, who believes cities could see a rise in violence as early as 2012."

Overseas we are already hearing of "food riots" and if those trucks stop rolling, you better believe it will happen here sooner than later. We would all be wise to be planting durable food stuffs that will stay reasonably fresh through very tough winters. Fruit trees take a while, but berries and other small plant bushes produce quite voluminously and beginning the very first year.

In short, I do not believe we will have to wait until 2012 to see very serious challenges to economic and political stability. If fuel costs continue to rise, the traditional heating and transportation resources will be unacceptably expensive. Unfortunately, for many, alternatives will be extremely difficult or impossible conversions and they will have to make extremely difficult economic choices. 

GAJ

Knight

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 10:18:02 AM »

Wars and rumors of wars the bible tells us. I think the same applies to Economic upheaval and rumors of economic upheaval.

Remember the Y2K bug. It was supposed to bring down civilization as we know it. People stockpiled food and drugs and guns and waited. Nothing happened. Midnight Jan 1 2000 came and went and no power outages and computers worked just fine. Maybe it was the billions the corporations put into upgraded or maybe the bug was over rated. In any case I do not put much faith in rumors of economic upheaval until it happens.

RND

• You are Israel
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 11:27:23 AM »

Wars and rumors of wars the bible tells us. I think the same applies to Economic upheaval and rumors of economic upheaval.

Remember the Y2K bug. It was supposed to bring down civilization as we know it. People stockpiled food and drugs and guns and waited. Nothing happened. Midnight Jan 1 2000 came and went and no power outages and computers worked just fine. Maybe it was the billions the corporations put into upgraded or maybe the bug was over rated. In any case I do not put much faith in rumors of economic upheaval until it happens.

I agree Knight!

John 16:33      These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Isa 33:14   ¶   The sinners in Zion are afraid; fearfulness hath surprised the hypocrites. Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings? Isa 33:15      He that walketh righteously, and speaketh uprightly; he that despiseth the gain of oppressions, that shaketh his hands from holding of bribes, that stoppeth his ears from hearing of blood, and shutteth his eyes from seeing evil; Isa 33:16      He shall dwell on high: his place of defence [shall be] the munitions of rocks: bread shall be given him; his waters [shall be] sure.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer, German philosopher (1788 - 1860)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 03:12:36 PM »

Not everything that occurs is signaling the end is imminent. It very well may be, and again it may not. Other than the fact that every 24 hours that passes, brings us that much closer .
Every time there is something of national concern SDA's haul out the "world is ending".  I wonder how many pay much attention to us anymore, including those sitting in our pews.

I know some that went thru the depression that were convinced this was it, In the fifties in MN they tried to pass a sunday law, then that was the end, in 1965 we were hit by a tornado. Worst night in MN history weatherwise,22 ?? sightings, had never happened before, that signaled the imminent end. Six day Israeli war, that was the end. Gas "shortage in the seventies" that was the end. 21% interest, christians would be losing their homes or unable to buy. On and on and we are still here.

After a time,the effectiveness of that in scaring those INTO the pews loses it's punch. 
Maybe we need to concentrate more on the here and now, doing what needs to be done without so much preaching what needs to be done. Instead we scan the skies at the first sign of any kind of domestic or world wide upheaval. Now we better get ready. Concentrating on who we are now and putting into practise what we have preached so long would have more of effect of people being ready whenever it comes.

OTH,is it possible for news events to be posted without it being followed by a sermon. Thanks

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 03:41:40 PM by bonnie »
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Ozzie

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 04:11:26 PM »

OTH,is it possible for news events to be posted without it being followed by a sermon. Thanks

I agree Bonnie. Surely we can have a discussion, without the sermon?  :TY: This is the very thing that leads many people to think that SDA's are 'kooks' and then they don't listen to anything we have to say.
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 04:27:48 PM »

BUSKIRK, N.Y. — A few years ago, Kathleen Breault was just another suburban grandma, driving countless hours every week, stopping for lunch at McDonald's, buying clothes at the mall, watching TV in the evenings.

That was before Breault heard an author talk about the bleak future of the world's oil supply. Now, she's preparing for the world as we know it to disappear.

Breault cut her driving time in half. She switched to a diet of locally grown foods near her upstate New York home and lost 70 pounds. She sliced up her credit cards, banished her television and swore off plane travel. She began relying on a wood-burning stove.

"I was panic-stricken," the 50-year-old recalled, her voice shaking. "Devastated. Depressed. Afraid. Vulnerable. Weak. Alone. Just terrible."

Convinced the planet's oil supply is dwindling and the world's economies are heading for a crash, some people around the country are moving onto homesteads, learning to live off their land, conserving fuel and, in some cases, stocking up on guns they expect to use to defend themselves and their supplies from desperate crowds of people who didn't prepare.

The exact number of people taking such steps is impossible to determine, but anecdotal evidence suggests that the movement has been gaining momentum in the last few years.

Some are doing it quietly, giving few details of their preparations — afraid that revealing such information as the location of their supplies will endanger themselves and their loved ones. They envision a future in which the nation's cities will be filled with hungry, desperate refugees forced to go looking for food, shelter and water.

"will respond to the loss of energy security with a clampdown on personal freedoms. Others simply don't trust that the government can maintain basic services in the face of an energy crisis.

The powers that be, they've determined, will be largely powerless to stop what is to come.

In the 70's we had a neighbor doing the same thing. Totally self-sufficient home as far as water,utilities and heat.
. He got so into the survivalist mode he pulled up stakes and went to MT. Now heads some type of survivalist militia group. Same area as the unibomber was found.

It's funny when panic hits many of the things that now interest them is somethingit would have been wise to always do. Credit cards slashed and garden by those that can etc.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 05:05:34 PM by bonnie »

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 09:37:06 AM »

Bonnie,

Exactly what post are you referring to that prompted you to post this part of your post?

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 09:48:20 AM »

As there are only two posts that brought the spiritual aspect of this into the picture, I wouldn't call this a sermon on a Christian oriented board.

These are all part of the signs that Christ spoke about in Matthew 24.

RND

• You are Israel
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 09:56:39 AM »

As there are only two posts that brought the spiritual aspect of this into the picture, I wouldn't call this a sermon on a Christian oriented board.

These are all part of the signs that Christ spoke about in Matthew 24.

Well reasoned Daryl. Thank you.  :TY:
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer, German philosopher (1788 - 1860)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 10:27:10 AM »

This is the part. Yes I know there were only two posts. I also know how quickly these issues can turn into a sermon. Especially when a response is basically bible texts
I had originally thought that the general discussion area would be free of the deeper issues on the forum. Some where those that maybe are visiting for the first time or have registered and have not yet posted could feel comfortable taking part without sermonizing.

I stand corrected and probably should back out of this discussion

Exactly what post are you referring to that prompted you to post this part of your post?

John 16:33      These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Isa 33:14   ¶   The sinners in Zion are afraid; fearfulness hath surprised the hypocrites. Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings? Isa 33:15      He that walketh righteously, and speaketh uprightly; he that despiseth the gain of oppressions, that shaketh his hands from holding of bribes, that stoppeth his ears from hearing of blood, and shutteth his eyes from seeing evil; Isa 33:16      He shall dwell on high: his place of defence [shall be] the munitions of rocks: bread shall be given him; his waters [shall be] sure.

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 11:33:51 AM »

Bonnie,

One or two posts like this are OK and acceptable, however, not to the extent of becoming a Bible Study in itself, as that is reserved for the more appropriate Doctrinal Discussions forum, therefore, in regards to this aspect of it, you are correct.
Pages: [1]   Go Up