Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Edamame Mashed Potatoes  (Read 4928 times)

Sister

• Veteran Member
Edamame Mashed Potatoes
« on: June 10, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »

My mother is fond of both Edamame and mashed potatoes. When I saw this recipe it sounded like a winner, so I sent it to her. Let me know if you try it how you liked it. I could just eat this with a carrot salad and be satisified. If you wanted you could serve this with a country-style onion gravy.

Edamame Mashed Potatoes

3 cups frozen shelled edamame
2 pounds russet potato, cut into 2" pieces (with or without peel)
1 3/4 cups chicken-style broth
3/4 cup warm "milk" (soya, almond or cashew)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
fresh ground black pepper (personally I am not a pepper eater and would probably leave this out)

In a large saucepan, add edamame - cover with enough water to come 2" above the edamame. Bring to a boil - cook, uncovered, until tender, about 7 to 10 minutes. Drain well. Place edamame in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.

Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, add potatoes and broth - add just enough extra water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil - reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 15 to 18 minutes. Reserve about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid, then drain the potatoes. Place potatoes back into the pot (off the heat) and let them sit for a minute to dissipate any excess liquid.

Turn the food processor back on, and slowly pour reserved cooking liquid through food chute - process until mostly smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides if needed.

In a large bowl, add pureed edamame mixture, cooked potatoes, "milk", oil, salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste - mash with a potato masher to desired consistency.

Makes about 6 to 8 servings.

Emma

Re: Edamame Mashed Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 07:39:45 PM »

This sounds very tasty Sister - but what is edamame?  Pardon the Ozzie ignorance,  I could use Google but I have never heard of it.

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 08:29:07 PM »

Edamame are fresh young soy beans. The word Edamame come from the Japanese language. In the USA they are usually available frozen, shelled or in the pod. For this recipe they are shelled. They are very tasty. You can grow your own soy beans. When they are ripe, just cook them in the pod in salty water and eat cold for picknicks or shell them and add to macaroni salad. My mother always puts them in her vegetable fried rice for potluck on Sabbath. She has a really big electric wok and it always comes home empty.

Emma

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 08:32:56 PM »

Thank you.  I have not seen young soy beans here, but I have not looked.  We have the mature form both dried and canned but they would probably not have the same flavour.

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 08:38:04 PM »

I have never seen the canned. Are they white or green? If they are green they would probably work for the recipe, of course you would not need to cook them first. You might try an Oriental market (Chinese or Japanese). They may not have them fresh, but they might have the frozen.

Emma

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 09:51:02 PM »

The canned are white, but your suggestions about the oriental market is good.

I am blessed in that my husband does much of the cooking in our house - and as he is Indonesian Chinese, we have some very tasty meals.  I will pass this on to him if I do not make it myself.

Habanero

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 11:22:30 PM »

Edamame look more like limas than soy beans. They have that shape.

Emma

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 02:30:22 AM »

We can get baby green lima beans here, that might be worth a try.

Womzie

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 02:56:19 AM »

We can get baby green lima beans here, that might be worth a try.

where do you get baby green lima beans from?  The only ones I can find are the large dried ones...  :hamster:

Emma

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 03:18:01 AM »

I have seen them frozen, but as I am not overly fond of them as a vegetable, and my husband does most of the cooking, I have not looked recently, but try the frozen vegetable section of your local supermarket.

Fran

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 10:31:32 PM »

When living in South Carolina, We became fast friends with a Farmer and his family.  He farmed Soy beans.  Susan said they ate them all the time and that they always had a pot on the stove.  Mike ate them for breakfast lunch and supper.  They raved about them.  One day we were over and they gave us a bowl of cooked soybeans.

All of the kids almost died!  The kids were gagging and I was about to throw up!  They were the most horrible tasting beans I had ever eaten!   I love soy products, but not the straight thing!  If I try this one, I will use baby Lima's, one of my favorite vegetables!  This has to be an acquired taste for me.

It sounds delicious with Baby Lima's.  I just have to leave the soy beans off.

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 10:59:35 PM »

Fran, where they the mature white soy beans? If so, I agree with you, I wouldn't want to eat them either. Edamame are young soy beans, green in color, in fact they look a lot like baby lima beans. They have a whole different taste and color than mature soy beans. You can usually find them in Asian markets in the freezer section.

Fran

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 07:22:04 AM »

They weren't white, but no where near green.  They were yellow-beige and hard to chew.  That was so all the nutrients were not boiled out?????  I will try them green!  Just the color says it is better!

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 09:47:30 AM »

Fran, I think you will like the Edamame if you are a lima bean fan like me. Let me know how the recipe works out for you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up