Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Go and check out the Christians Discuss Forum for committed Christians at  http://www.christians-discuss.com

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: 3ABN Board Member Breaks Sabbath  (Read 160971 times)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
Re: 3ABN Board Member Breaks Sabbath
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2008, 03:15:57 PM »

I would think I would ask some of the same questions.

Publically or going to the source or at least the conference offic.

Of course not. Yet in order to come up with ways to prevent such scandals from occurring again, there are legitimate questions that should be asked.

I didn't know there was a scandel surrounding this pastor. This is not in anyway going to prevent someone, even a pastor from breaking the sabbath according to the rules of someone else.

And there is a lawsuit going on, since 3ABN and Danny still have not served their demand to settle, and they are nearly a year past the deadline for that that they themselves set. Thus one has to explore various possibilities as to why there even is a scandal, in order to present a plausible theory to the jury.

It has been said that Danny handpicked his board members. The Nick Miller story definitely alleges that he gets rid of board members who don't do what he wants. So questions regarding board members I would think are definitely appropriate.

You know what, I am immensely  proud of me son. There were many things that could have been brought in,others that had or were having connection to the pastor involved in the suit he brought. He used and gave permission for only what was absolutely necessary beyound the pastor himself. What would the sabbath observance of this pastor have to do with DS. I dobt he cares. He is  not responsible for that, and I cannot imagine a judge giving a fig
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Echo

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2008, 03:16:43 PM »

How does Wintley feel about Danny allegedly getting several hundred thousand dollars in royalties from the 2006 TCTR campaign, a campaign that helped put 3ABN $3 million in the red for that year?

Why hasn't the 3ABN Board reined Danny in on issues like that, a board of which Wintley is purportedly a member?

If I were making $130,000 from my own non-profit while also pastoring, I might have trouble getting on Danny's case.

Have you asked him?

I find the annoying tautological chants to be the epitome of circumlocutionary drivel.

Echo

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2008, 03:29:21 PM »

Yep, sure sounds like this church is having real problems due to its Pastor not performing up to Bob's standards.  Should we speculate on how other SDA churches would like to have this terrible problem of not enough room?

So were you going to find some answers to the basic questions, or are you trying to suggest that Job's friends were right that prosperity is absolute proof of God's favor?

Amusing.  If an organization is doing well you can invoke Job's friend's apocryphal theology.  If an organization is doing poorly, having tragedy befall those associated, your compatriot can characterize it as God lifting His blessing.

Donna

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2008, 03:30:24 PM »

Problem is that the Danny clones typically don't try to find answers to questions, so that makes things more difficult.

Over on 3ABN Talk they pretty well got you figured out.

quaddie47

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2008, 03:36:22 PM »

If I were making $130,000 from my own non-profit while also pastoring, I might have trouble getting on Danny's case.

And no one questions that you might have a problem (and BTW thanks for letting us know you might), but that does not mean that Pastor Phipps does or has and to suggest he does is your usual snide way does not make it so or prove anything.

..... a board of which Wintley is purportedly a member?

Is he or isn’t he a member of the 3abn board? If he is, why use the term “purportedly”? 

Problem is that the Danny clones typically don't try to find answers to questions, so that makes things more difficult.

Is this a statement of fact or opinion? 

And I guess you missed the “memo” that the use of the term “Danny Clones” is at the very least patronizing and your rationalization the last time this issue came up that you did not invent the term does not give you justification to continue using what is clearly meant to be a term implying that that who defend 3abn are unable to think and reason for themselves. 

quaddie47

« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2008, 03:43:20 PM »

Anyone remember this exchange?

Panama Pete:

Wintley Phipps is doing television work for Radio Bible Class, Grand Rapids, MI. He did a very nice job. I saw one of them one Sunday morning on the local TV station.

If you have Realplayer installed on your PC, you can listen to Wintley Phipps narrate a program he did for Day of Discovery / Radio Bible Class

Here's the audio/video link. Here's one that is still online.

Africa and the Bible: The River of Faith

http://www.rbc.org/radio_and_tv/day_of_discovery/49973.aspx

"Are all races created equal in the eyes of God? Down through the ages, certain people have viewed those with darker skin as somehow less human—using skin color as an excuse to enslave and marginalize people. Does God judge us by the color of our skin? Do people of color have any part in the heritage of Christianity, or should they be looking somewhere else for their faith? Join host Wintley Phipps as he follows the “rivers of faith” and uncovers the truth about Africa and the Bible."

Pete

Bob Pickle:

Haven't heard of that outfit before. Is it Adventist?

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2008, 03:59:35 PM »

Over on 3ABN Talk they pretty well got you figured out.
I didn't think that was supposed to be mentioned here anymore.
Duane Clem
It's not about religion, It's about a relationship

quaddie47

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2008, 04:00:42 PM »

Yep, sure sounds like this church is having real problems due to its Pastor not performing up to Bob's standards.  Should we speculate on how other SDA churches would like to have this terrible problem of not enough room?

So were you going to find some answers to the basic questions, or are you trying to suggest that Job's friends were right that prosperity is absolute proof of God's favor?

How is this for speculation regarding an answer?  

Lady Tenor:

He preached a sermon on this very issue in church a few months ago. It was very powerful. That man can preach! He also announced he would be doing this series. It aired on a local religious channel a few months ago and he said he knew it would be aired at later dates in other local markets.

From what I hear, he draws a salary from pastoring my home church but that he donates all of that salary because he said he does not need it. I know he works hard and travels a lot...and still is in church more often than not. Also, most church officers have his cell phone number and he knows what is going on in church. Some folks may take issue with him working these two positions,

http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=10338&view=findpost&p=167548

And here i thought you had all the BSDA posts categorized?

quaddie47

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2008, 04:22:12 PM »

....  are you trying to suggest that Job's friends were right that prosperity is absolute proof of God's favor?

Oh, BTW, since I neither suggested, hinted or implied any such thing with my post you by your response  are either suggesting it or putting words in my mouth i never said.  Which is it?  If the later, I would appreciate an apology as I will speak for myself now and in the future without your help.

Oh, BTW, as your statement does not make sense to me in this context, can you tell me what you think a growing church is an indication of (after all did you not mean to imply in your earlier post that Pastor Phipps may be shirking his responsibilities as a Pastor?)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 04:25:14 PM by quaddie47 »

GrammieT

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2008, 04:33:23 PM »

Anyone remember this exchange?

Panama Pete:

Wintley Phipps is doing television work for Radio Bible Class, Grand Rapids, MI. He did a very nice job. I saw one of them one Sunday morning on the local TV station.

If you have Realplayer installed on your PC, you can listen to Wintley Phipps narrate a program he did for Day of Discovery / Radio Bible Class

Here's the audio/video link. Here's one that is still online.

Africa and the Bible: The River of Faith

http://www.rbc.org/radio_and_tv/day_of_discovery/49973.aspx

"Are all races created equal in the eyes of God? Down through the ages, certain people have viewed those with darker skin as somehow less human—using skin color as an excuse to enslave and marginalize people. Does God judge us by the color of our skin? Do people of color have any part in the heritage of Christianity, or should they be looking somewhere else for their faith? Join host Wintley Phipps as he follows the “rivers of faith” and uncovers the truth about Africa and the Bible."

Pete   

Bob Pickle:

Haven't heard of that outfit before. Is it Adventist?

:goodpost: Pete     :TY:

GrammieT

Dear Friend Bob:

It pains me to say this, but your question about the Radio Bible Class 'outfit' shows your very narrow viewpoint regarding whether or not others could possibly have any biblical truth if they are not "Adventist".   :console:  It seems that you may fall into the category of Adventists that believe 'If they speak not according to this (Adventist interpretation of the) word, it is because there is no light in them." Isaiah 8:20.  :dunno:  If you do not recognize this very legitimate Biblically based radio/tv program I suggest that it is time to open your eyes and ears to the fact that there are many others in the world who know their Bible, and in many cases far better than most Adventist 
'scholars'!   :hot:

Sadly, we fall far short in many cases of truly understanding Biblical truth as it differs from the Biblical facts which we have been taught in our church.   :oops:

GrammieT

P.S.  Where is that soapbox I climb on every so often??!   :hamster:

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2008, 04:36:10 PM »

Have you asked him?

Thanks to Jerrie Hayes, I can't. Haven't been allowed to do that since December 14, 2007.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2008, 04:37:20 PM »

Amusing.  If an organization is doing well you can invoke Job's friend's apocryphal theology.  If an organization is doing poorly, having tragedy befall those associated, your compatriot can characterize it as God lifting His blessing.

Not necessarily. The problem is when one uses prosperity arguments to evade finding answers to someone's questions.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2008, 04:43:14 PM »

And no one questions that you might have a problem (and BTW thanks for letting us know you might), but that does not mean that Pastor Phipps does or has and to suggest he does is your usual snide way does not make it so or prove anything.

If you have information that Wintley Phipps has tried to rein in Danny, I'd love to hear it.

Is he or isn’t he a member of the 3abn board? If he is, why use the term “purportedly”?

He was last I knew, but I haven't seen a recent list of board members. I'd hate to say someone is a board member and then be wrong because there was a change recently, or something like that.

Is this a statement of fact or opinion? 

Appears to be a fact to me.

And I guess you missed the “memo” that the use of the term “Danny Clones” is at the very least patronizing and your rationalization the last time this issue came up that you did not invent the term does not give you justification to continue using what is clearly meant to be a term implying that that who defend 3abn are unable to think and reason for themselves. 

Well, what else does one conclude when they appear to keep defending the cover up of child molestation allegations, unbiblical divorce, the reporting of a donation of a horse or horses as cash in 2003, and the like?

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2008, 04:52:00 PM »

....  are you trying to suggest that Job's friends were right that prosperity is absolute proof of God's favor?

Oh, BTW, since I neither suggested, hinted or implied any such thing with my post you by your response  are either suggesting it or putting words in my mouth i never said.  Which is it?

You said what you said and I was trying to make sense of it.

Oh, BTW, as your statement does not make sense to me in this context, can you tell me what you think a growing church is an indication of (after all did you not mean to imply in your earlier post that Pastor Phipps may be shirking his responsibilities as a Pastor?)

1) I hear the Church of Rome is growing a lot these days. Pentecostal churches are too. So just because a church is growing doesn't automatically mean that it is 100% on the right track.

2) Not necessarily. The problem is that the Form 990's for U.S. Dream Academy state that Wintley works 40 hours a week for that organization. That doesn't automatically mean that he isn't working 40 hours a week as a pastor, or that he is only getting 2 hours of sleep a night, or that he and his wife get to talk 5 minutes a day. There is always the possibility that the Form 990 is just plain wrong and that he doesn't work 40 hours a week for U.S. Dream Academy.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against pastors doing Sabbath School Investment Projects. Paul was a tent maker. But I do believe that pastors should set an example for the members in Sabbath keeping, stewardship, and other standards.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 05:27:36 PM by Bob Pickle »

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2008, 04:55:49 PM »

Dear Friend Bob:

It pains me to say this, but your question about the Radio Bible Class 'outfit' shows your very narrow viewpoint regarding whether or not others could possibly have any biblical truth if they are not "Adventist".

Not sure where you got that idea. The quote from awhile back that got posted above merely asked the question whether they were Adventist or not. That's all.

I really appreciated John MacArthur, Jr.'s study on alcohol in the Bible. He's a Baptist. Another Baptist is Paul Washer who preached a sermon at a youth conference in Montgomery. I passed that one out in church the summer of 2006 after preaching a similar sermon.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20   Go Up