Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Should Christians gossip and pass on hear-say?  (Read 139458 times)

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
Re: Should Christians gossip and pass on hear-say?
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2008, 12:16:15 AM »

Facts are fine, thanks.  I did not say "you" specifically, Ian...I said "several of you"...

As for your name calling concerns, anyman was purposely and abusively twisting/misusing a specific poster's moniker.

No.  I don't see why that is necessary at all.  Reddogs started a thread to discuss gossip and hear-say.  Now several of you are attacking Mr. Pickle and Mr. Joy for alleged gossip and hear-say.  I think this is a perfect place for this discussion to take place.

Fine, but please get your facts straight. I have attacked no one, all I did was post some questions I had, and then quote some texts and an article which is relevant to this topic.

BTW, just wondering but is calling people "Dannyclones" name calling?  

Bob, could I get just a bit of clarification about the former mayor of Thompsonville story?

Part of the confusion has resulted because my answers fit the questions I was asked. Look at the questions I was asked and look at my answers, and it should be fairly clear what I meant by what I said. Try not to read anymore into what I wrote than what I wrote.

That's as clear as mud...

There appears to be alot of different things being discussed or brought up in this thread which was started on the topic of Gossip and hearsay.  The effect is somewhat confusing and chaotic, at least to me.

Would it be possible to at least get all the posts having to do with the ex- Mayor of Thompsonville story moved to it's own thread?

[/quote]

Habanero

« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2008, 12:17:56 AM »

A thinking person might wonder if the differing brands of Adventism are a part of that issue. The 3ABN brand might be  offensive to some people who find the versions outside that compound and its network acceptable. But that is just person opinions and questions.

I'm not sure but let me check did you say this, "If you're trying to preach Adventism to me here, don't bother...3ABN has already turned me off!!!"? I think that is looking like you don't believe cause why would you believe in something that your turned off about? It seems strange that you seem to be put out by someone preaching Adventism at a site that claims to be Adventist.

Anyman...

Please point out EXACTLY where you saw me say that I "don't agree with the things adventists believe."  And by the way...the term "Adventist" is a proper noun and really should be capitalized.  Now, what I don't agree with is the way many Adventists ACT...starting right there in Thompsonville!!!  If Danny Shelton is the "face of Adventism"...then I'll go non-denominational!!  Oh yeah - 3ABN IS non-denominational...  Oh my - I get so confused...

Not preaching at all there Ms. Snoopy. but it is a bit strange you moderating a forum on an adventist web site when you don't agree with the things adventists believe. Are you taking out your frustrations on 3ABN? I read somewhere that anything you do is no one's fault but your own, something about being critters of free will and no one being able to make you do anything you don't choose to do.

Perhaps you'd like to take care of the log in your own eye before you worry about the speck in mine.  If you're trying to preach Adventism to me here, don't bother...3ABN has already turned me off!!!

Sounds like the Word and reading it makes some uncomfortble which is a little strange considering this is a place is suppose to be where people who believe in it gather to talk. The pharasiess didn't like the Word either, made them uncomfortble.

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2008, 12:23:34 AM »

Great point, Habanero!  I think if 3ABN's brand were the same outside the compound as it appears to be on the airwaves, it would be a non-issue.

A thinking person might wonder if the differing brands of Adventism are a part of that issue. The 3ABN brand might be  offensive to some people who find the versions outside that compound and its network acceptable. But that is just person opinions and questions.

I'm not sure but let me check did you say this, "If you're trying to preach Adventism to me here, don't bother...3ABN has already turned me off!!!"? I think that is looking like you don't believe cause why would you believe in something that your turned off about? It seems strange that you seem to be put out by someone preaching Adventism at a site that claims to be Adventist.

Anyman...

Please point out EXACTLY where you saw me say that I "don't agree with the things adventists believe."  And by the way...the term "Adventist" is a proper noun and really should be capitalized.  Now, what I don't agree with is the way many Adventists ACT...starting right there in Thompsonville!!!  If Danny Shelton is the "face of Adventism"...then I'll go non-denominational!!  Oh yeah - 3ABN IS non-denominational...  Oh my - I get so confused...

Not preaching at all there Ms. Snoopy. but it is a bit strange you moderating a forum on an adventist web site when you don't agree with the things adventists believe. Are you taking out your frustrations on 3ABN? I read somewhere that anything you do is no one's fault but your own, something about being critters of free will and no one being able to make you do anything you don't choose to do.

Perhaps you'd like to take care of the log in your own eye before you worry about the speck in mine.  If you're trying to preach Adventism to me here, don't bother...3ABN has already turned me off!!!

Sounds like the Word and reading it makes some uncomfortble which is a little strange considering this is a place is suppose to be where people who believe in it gather to talk. The pharasiess didn't like the Word either, made them uncomfortble.

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2008, 12:25:54 AM »

You have a good point here. I recall some serious fretting from SDA Administrators observing that we now have a left and a right, but is there a center anymore?

Since 3ABN unequivically claims to represent the true right, where does that leave conservatives that expect much higher standards of a right wing ministry? Are we hard right, as in extreme or is that we have a problem of believing 3ABN preaches right and acts left?

Any Suggestions here?

Gailon Arthur Joy

Chrissie

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2008, 01:38:25 AM »

I'm thinking anyman is sounding very familiar...like I may have read his writings in a prior life...

You too Snoopy?  I feel certain that we've met 'in another life'. The tone is too intense to be any other.

Cindy

• Veteran Member
  • "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good"
    • 3A Talk Forum
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2008, 01:45:40 AM »

Facts are fine, thanks.  I did not say "you" specifically, Ian...I said "several of you"...

As for your name calling concerns, anyman was purposely and abusively twisting/misusing a specific poster's moniker.

You are honestly claiming that saying "several of you" to me doesn't include me in what you said?  and then you ignore my question and justify your problem with anyman and chiles Habaneros en Escabeche instead, and claim I am the one concerned with namecalling?

:ROFL:

Ok, moving on...

Will try to sort through all this confusion and see what to answer or not tomorrow...

Good night Snoopy.

No.  I don't see why that is necessary at all.  Reddogs started a thread to discuss gossip and hear-say.  Now several of you are attacking Mr. Pickle and Mr. Joy for alleged gossip and hear-say.  I think this is a perfect place for this discussion to take place.

Fine, but please get your facts straight. I have attacked no one, all I did was post some questions I had, and then quote some texts and an article which is relevant to this topic.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 01:49:06 AM by Ian »

Chrissie

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2008, 01:48:17 AM »

Anyman, if you care to check the message at the beginning of AT, you would notice that this Forum is for Adventists and Friends of Adventists.

reddogs

« Reply #97 on: May 04, 2008, 04:55:52 AM »

Amen, my brother... :amen:

That is what we need to pray that we understand, and that Christ's love clear out all of this hate, anger and feelings of revenge.......Its not what Christians should be doing, to say nothing of Adventist brothers and sisters..........

No problem, I didn't write it I just quoted it, God's truth and principles remain constant, it's our own decision how we choose to deal with it.

IMO We need to keep reminding ourselves of these things, and "pray without ceasing" it's far too easy to go astray, or lose sight of the Lord, and which way we're trying to go, and who and what we are following when we don't.

Your Sister  ;)

Ian

I am really getting old and loosing my sight to miss that my sister... :oops:

All the Ian's I know are young rugged strapping soccer players from Australia or Scotland....do you play? ;D

Now to address the issues being raised, the OP is how Christians should refrain from idol gossip and harmful hearsay and deal with these types issues such as the 3ABN according to bible principles.

I dont have a dog in this fight in 3ABN as I dont know Danny or Linda, and 3ABN is not required viewing in our part of the world....

We are busy doing Gods work, helping build 3 Adventist churches, a Adventist church school, find a way for 30-40 under privilidge children to get financing to go to the school, and share Gods truth with others so 3ABN doesnt even come up on our radar screen...

But I am clear of what scripture says about quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, factions, slander, malicious gossip, arrogance and disorder amoung Christians. We must stay away from all of those things and deal with our brothers and sisters directly as outlined in scripture with much love and care. As a sinner I cannot cast any stones but as a child of God I come and ask that look at what scripture says and follow it, rather than let evil capture us through our emotions and lead it to its domain.....

Love God, Love your fellowman and focus on Christ and what He commands.....
Red

John 13:34
A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

John 13:35
By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

John 15:12
This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

John 15:17
These things I command you, that ye love one another.

Romans 12:10
Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;

Galatians 5:13
For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

Ephesians 4:2
With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;

1 Thessalonians 3:12
And the Lord make you to increase and abound in love one toward another, and toward all men, even as we do toward you:

1 Thessalonians 4:9
But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another.

Hebrews 10:24
And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:

1 Peter 1:22
Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:

1 Peter 3:8
Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:

1 John 3:11
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

1 John 3:23
And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

1 John 4:7
Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

1 John 4:12
No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2008, 07:40:11 AM »

Well!

Reddogs, anyman, Ian, and Sam all teaming up to take Advent Talk over to the "dark side".

I wonder how many others will be crawling out of the woodwork!

Interesting to note those who've joined AT in the last little while and the tone and content of their posts.

Wonder where they fit in as to these words.....Resolutely refuse to hear, though the whisperer complains of being burdened till he speak.

Or is it read by some to read "RESOLUTELY TRYING" to hear everything they can" and this it seems this is the only place they feel they can do so
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Cindy

• Veteran Member
    • 3A Talk Forum
« Reply #99 on: May 04, 2008, 07:41:07 AM »

I am really getting old and loosing my sight to miss that my sister...

Nah!! :) the gender icon is too small imo.. And altho my login is a nickname, a derivative of my real name, it is usually a man's name, I know. You aren't the first to be confused and probably won't be the last. In hindsight I should have chosen another login, but it's too late for that now.

All the Ian's I know are young rugged strapping soccer players from Australia or Scotland....do you play?

Only out of breath, and with my  nephews nowadays, and don't hardly think I could be described as young, rugged or strapping,  I'm about to become a proud Grandmama for the first time :D but I am part scot!

Now to address the issues being raised, the OP is how Christians should refrain from idol gossip and harmful hearsay and deal with these types issues such as the 3ABN according to bible principles.

I dont have a dog in this fight in 3ABN as I dont know Danny or Linda,

Nothing wrong with that, and I don't think you are a "dannyclone".  I came into all this the exact same way... In fact, (and my irony alarm is going nuts here) I was invited to join BSDA and MSDAOL by Bob Pickle, because of what I posted to him in a private forum, he even told me where to go and how to sign up after my posts on biblical principles regarding Church discipline etc.. -- those things should remain the same whether you have a dog in the fight or not.  But soon I found more questions than answers, and the answers I did find didn't add up with what was being reported, and repeated by so many.( talebearing/gossip) Still regardless of my beliefs or views, I think all should decide for themselves.

People ask me why I am here if I disagree with gossip and hearsay, and slander. Some again here in this thread, which is why I am answering you here rather thean them (I apologise, but it's easier for me to avoid unnecessary arguments this way) The answer is obvious to me. What is done and said publicly needs to be answered publicly, that's a biblical principle too.

"Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.
For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.

Against an elder receive not an accusation, but before two or three witnesses.

Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear.

I charge thee before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, and the elect angels, that thou observe these things without preferring one before another, doing nothing by partiality. Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep thyself pure."

It's possible someone may object and come to attack or argue here, but that's on them, I follow my own convictions and understanding , not theirs...

I didn't bring all this up and publish it to the world, and I believe those who did so were in error and sinned, but now that they have it's water under the bridge, and  needs to be addressed publicly. Despite that I still maintain if Matt 18 had been followed to the letter, none of this would be happening or be public like this. God's ways are ever so much higher than ours....

In my opinion all this ugliness far from solving things has only made it all worse, and in addition brought shame on our Church and on the people of God in the eyes of the world..

and 3ABN is not required viewing in our part of the world....

It's doubtful that there is any part of the world where it is required viewing. Actually I never watched it till all this hullaballu (sp?) started, as I didn't even know it existed.... Now I am a regular viewer..

We are busy doing Gods work, helping build 3 Adventist churches, a Adventist church school, find a way for 30-40 under privilidge children to get financing to go to the school, and share Gods truth with others ...

That's wonderful, Praise the Lord!

But I am clear of what scripture says about quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, factions, slander, malicious gossip, arrogance and disorder amoung Christians. We must stay away from all of those things and deal with our brothers and sisters directly as outlined in scripture with much love and care. As a sinner I cannot cast any stones but as a child of God I come and ask that look at what scripture says and follow it, rather than let evil capture us through our emotions and lead it to its domain....

I strongly agree, the word of God is very clear about all this. My first posts were on this subject, and on following  church discipline. It was both shocking and distressing to me how many fought against that or disagreed, or attacked me as the messenger because they disagreed with the message, even though I did the same then as now, no words of my own, just quotes. It is still hard for me to understand all those then and now who said/say  "what if that doesn't work?"  

How could God's principles not be correct or not work? of course they do! if followed correctly!  

It is also a problem in that people fight against the biblical texts and scriptural writings and testimonies to the Church because of the issue of alleged criminal activity, and insist that there must be accountability for crimes as if that voids out what God said.

I don't get their problem. Of course there must be accountability. Also the accused have a right to face their accusers and see the evidence against them, all this accusing from the shadows and by anonymous people doesn't sit right with me.  We have a division of Church and State today (unlike ancient Israel), and as Christ said render unto Caesar and unto God what is due them. Crimes need to be investigated on a civil basis, and tried if there is cause, and the accused found either guilty or innocent according to the rights and laws of the land,  then follow the biblical principles for Church discipline...  Where is the lack of accountability there?

As I said I don't get it...

Love God, Love your fellowman and focus on Christ and what He commands.....

John 13:
34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

John 15:
12This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
17 These things I command you, that ye love one another.

Romans 12:10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;

Galatians 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

Ephesians 4:2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;

1 Thessalonians 3:12 And the Lord make you to increase and abound in love one toward another, and toward all men, even as we do toward you:

1 Thessalonians 4:9 But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another.

Hebrews 10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:

1 Peter 1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:

1 Peter 3:8 Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:

1 John 3:11 For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

1 John 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

1 John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

1 John 4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

Amen. and also... in addition to John 15:12
"This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you." :

"Rev 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
Lev 19:17Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.
Luk 17:3Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.

But--
Lev 19:16  Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people: neither shalt thou stand against the blood of thy neighbour: I am the LORD.

Matt 5
:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
:23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
:24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.
:25 Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.

Blessings to you and yours Reddogs :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 07:52:55 AM by Ian »

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2008, 08:22:11 AM »

"Amen. and also... in addition to John 15:12
"This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you." :

"Rev 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
Lev 19:17Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.
Luk 17:3Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.

But--
Lev 19:16  Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people: neither shalt thou stand against the blood of thy neighbour: I am the LORD.

Matt 5
:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
:23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
:24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.
:25 Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison."
IAN

And so you are making progress. I see you feel that 3ABN and Danny Lee Shelton should most certainly have agreed to meet with us to discuss the "evidence" man to man over a conference table rather than file suite!!! This is wonderful to see you make so muc progess so far.

You are so perceptive...we did indeed try very hard to speak reasonably and intelligently, offering to meet the board, then we agreed to the ecclesiastical process and when that failed we again proposed that we meet directly with the board. They filed suite...so sad that pride and avaris has lead to such a public battle.

And yes, we do have the e-mails to prove it.

Gailon Arthur Joy
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 11:53:44 AM by Gailon Arthur Joy »

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2008, 09:13:06 AM »

Apologies, Ian.  It was late for me when I made that post, but you're right - I was responding to you.

You are honestly claiming that saying "several of you" to me doesn't include me in what you said?  and then you ignore my question and justify your problem with anyman and chiles Habaneros en Escabeche instead, and claim I am the one concerned with namecalling?

Ok, moving on...

Will try to sort through all this confusion and see what to answer or not tomorrow...

Good night Snoopy.

Habanero

« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2008, 09:29:40 AM »

People ask me why I am here if I disagree with gossip and hearsay, and slander. Some again here in this thread, which is why I am answering you here rather thean them (I apologise, but it's easier for me to avoid unnecessary arguments this way) The answer is obvious to me. What is done and said publicly needs to be answered publicly, that's a biblical principle too.
IAN

Ian, you have made some good points. As I recall, this started with someone making a private matter public, dealing with it publicly, and then trying to stop anyone from answering it publicly. Various people went against the wishes of the person who did what was done publicly by answering it publicly (as per the above Biblical principle.) And some now get to see a person and organization that has been accidentaly successful at initiating the breakage of an airborn facade allowing a little peek into the inner working behind that, and the larger facade... ooops! But then that is just personal opinion.

Cindy

• Veteran Member
    • 3A Talk Forum
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2008, 10:30:04 AM »

Apologies, Ian.  It was late for me when I made that post, but you're right - I was responding to you.

No problem Snoopy, maybe we can just move right along? I'd like that.

Blessings to you and yours. :)

]

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2008, 11:56:35 AM »

Ian,

The civil side is a such a pleasant side it is wonderful to see the real Ian we just knew had to be behind that facade of indifference toward such clear error.

Gailon Arthur Joy
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18   Go Up