Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Way to Much Fun To Resist  (Read 3143 times)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
Way to Much Fun To Resist
« on: September 21, 2008, 03:49:07 PM »

Once in a while some things are to tempting or just plain to much fun to resist. This has struck  me funny for some time,but the contributions by others just couldn't be resisted. Hope others may see the humor as intended.

Our friendly administrator from a neighboring forum seems quite attached to his goldfish Bonny and a little upset that any might question her intelligence. It would appear now he is looking thru rose colored glasses. Lest he forget he has questioned Bonny the Goldfish on intelligence and a variety of other issues.

Stan Jensen   
 Well, now I have read everything, I don't mind when people attack me, or things I do, now there are slanderous things said about my Goldfish. There is no need for that. Bonny has always been kind and considerate.

Maybe distance and time has dimmed his memory somewhat.

Nan
There is a very nasty TV add here insinuating that goldfish have a memory/recall span of about 4 seconds. Obviously the makers of the ad should be severely chided for making such unfair allegations about such
intelligent creatures.

It is more plausible to believe this goldfish owner is the one with the faulty memory if he believes all his contact with Bonny the Goldfish has been harmonious.

The ad is for a new TV, life is very good for Harry the Goldfish, who is constantly surprised by the joys of the lifelike display on the screen.

Even in goldfish the difference in sexes cannot be denied. Bonny the Goldfish prefers real life friends to what is displayed on a screen. Prehaps the game of pretend simply became to transparent and not worth the cost of real friends

Things Goldfish can do
John317   

Yeah, those are some really smart animals. For some reason I don't remember my fish doing any tricks at all. Must take a lot of patience to train them.

Sadly, there are some goldfish that resist training, even with patience. Not wishing to do tricks to maintain friendly relations with the master

Memory
Research by the School of Psychology at the University of Plymouth in 2003 demonstrated that goldfish have a memory-span of at least three months and can distinguish between different shapes, colors and sounds. They were trained to push a lever to earn a food reward; when the lever was fixed to work only for an hour a day, the fish soon learned to activate it at the correct time. The Mythbusters tested the myth that goldfish only had a memory span of 3 seconds. The Mythbusters were also able to prove that goldfish had a longer memory span than commonly believed. This was done by making goldfish go through a maze over a period of time. It was evident that they were able to remember the way and that they therefore had a memory span of over three seconds.[15]

Sounds like goldfish can be made to respond to behaviour and rewards.  Much like some humans. When bad behaviour is rewarded it becomes very hard to change direction

rudywoofs
Don't pets take on their owners ' personality traits?

Sometimes when that happens the owner sees what he does not like and doesn't know how to change it.  Then the poor goldfish is in danger of being flushed down the toilet

edited to finish sentnece
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 03:56:54 PM by bonnie »
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Lil Star

Re: Way to Much Fun To Resist
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 07:13:01 AM »

Hmmmm, I don't remember you ever being always harmonious with anyone. Guess rose colored glasses make the difference?  Oh wait! I was raised that people aren't supposed to look through rose colored glasses for they are usually wrong in what they see! 
I took my glasses off quite some time ago. I guess that is what they call 'growing up'. 

Hmmmm, I thought one could ALWAYS tell the difference between the sexes, even if blind
RIP mom

Jesus IS enough
Pages: [1]   Go Up