Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You can find an active Save 3ABN website at http://www.Save-3ABN.com.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Female Conference Presidents  (Read 23268 times)

Johann

Female Conference Presidents
« on: November 12, 2010, 01:55:40 PM »

Commissioned Ministers can Lead Conferences Source: Adventist News Network

The North American Division executive committee voted overwhelmingly on Nov. 7 to allow ordained or commissioned ministers to serve as presidents of local conferences or missions within North America. According to the prepared statement "This is an issue of equality and opportunity for all leaders who hold the commissioned minister credentials." The action opens the door for men and women who hold these credentials to be seriously considered for top leadership positions.

Additionally, the committee elected a full slate of NAD leaders and departmental directors. To view the list visit nadadventist.org and click on "NAD Year-end meetings" under the section on news.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 02:02:10 PM by Johann »

princessdi

• Veteran Member
Re: Female Conference Presidents
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 10:14:36 AM »

Alrighty now!  It's about time!
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 05:19:08 PM »

"It's about time"...now I would agree that it is a SIGN OF THE TIMES and the degree
of apostacy our church has achieved. And just how hard we are trying to "conform"
with a world-wide standard that undermines a fundamental standard of the OLD SDA
Church. A standard that clearly delineated SDA standards from a world gone awry.

While I can appreciate issues of discrimination, the role of women in society and the
church is at issue here. It is a sad day when we have abandoned traditional biblical
roles of men and women in society in favor of a most insidious apostacy that has gone
far to corrupt this world in so many ways it is difficult to enumerate them except in a
doctoral thesis.

If anyone elects to debate it further, I shall be quite compelled to take up the issue in
detail.

I will simply end this limited discourse by stating "WE SHALL REAP THE WHIRLWIND" of
this and every other apostacy. And rest assured, society has indeed paid a very heavy
price for abandoning it's Judeo Christian principles...but...it was all foretold...do we as a
church really want to go there???

Gailon Arthur Joy

AUReporter

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 09:58:33 PM »

GJ, Biblical tradition has God himself setting up Deborah as the Nead of a nation.  To which treaditiona re you referring?

"It's about time"...now I would agree that it is a SIGN OF THE TIMES and the degree
of apostacy our church has achieved. And just how hard we are trying to "conform"
with a world-wide standard that undermines a fundamental standard of the OLD SDA
Church. A standard that clearly delineated SDA standards from a world gone awry.

While I can appreciate issues of discrimination, the role of women in society and the
church is at issue here. It is a sad day when we have abandoned traditional biblical
roles of men and women in society in favor of a most insidious apostacy that has gone
far to corrupt this world in so many ways it is difficult to enumerate them except in a
doctoral thesis.

If anyone elects to debate it further, I shall be quite compelled to take up the issue in
detail.

I will simply end this limited discourse by stating "WE SHALL REAP THE WHIRLWIND" of
this and every other apostacy. And rest assured, society has indeed paid a very heavy
price for abandoning it's Judeo Christian principles...but...it was all foretold...do we as a

Gailon Arthur Joy

AUReporter
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

christian

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 11:03:58 PM »

Well, i have one question wasn't God already mad when he had to pass up a black man and a white man and go to a little white girls name E. G. White? I don't think we will reap the whirlwind or anything of the like because a woman becomes a Conference President. God never intended for us to have a church manuel or creed which trumps the bible etc... it's like the children of Israel that wanted a king soooo aweful bad when he had already advised against it. The church has long since left the principles of Adventism and taken on a cult atmosphere, ladies and men crave for positions of authority and honour while the rank and file look up to them. It is those who crave attention the opportunity to be King or President leading the people of God, and their desire to be looked up to like the President of the United States but be the leader of a greater congregation, that of heaven. ----Another sleepy morning so you will have to decipher what I am trying to say and i will comment more when I am fully awake (smile).

GJ, Biblical tradition has God himself setting up Deborah as the Nead of a nation.  To which treaditiona re you referring?

doctoral thesis.

detail.

Gailon Arthur Joy

AUReporter

Gregory

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 03:15:01 PM »

It is about time.  Oh?  This time came a long time ago.

In the early days of our denomination we had a female local Conference President.

Do any of you know your SDA history well enough to identify the confernce and the date?

Gregory

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 03:48:58 AM »

Phyllis Ware
Executive Secretary and Treasurer of the Central States Conference who became interim president on the death of the president, Paul Monk, in the 1990's.

Ms. Ware filled the role of President for a short tiem.  However, she was not the point of my reference.  We had a female Conference President in the early days of our chruch.

For more information on roles that women have played in the SDA Chruch, see:  http://adventistwomensministries.org/index.php?id=58

Additional historical informaiton as to women in ministry can be obtained from:  http://www.sdanet.org/atissue/books/called/benton-08.htm

In 1900, Flora Plumber served as President of the Iowa Conference, also for a short period of time.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 06:01:47 AM by Gregory »

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 09:01:31 PM »

The old officer corp is unlikely to allow a Woman President, she is unlikely to be political enough and might actually tell us the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

What a horrifying thought!!!

Gailon Arthur Joy
AUReporter

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 10:54:17 PM »

Thanks Gregory.  i like to educate members on the history of women in the SDA church,especially on Women's Day.  Excellent!

Phyllis Ware
Executive Secretary and Treasurer of the Central States Conference who became interim president on the death of the president, Paul Monk, in the 1990's.

Ms. Ware filled the role of President for a short tiem.  However, she was not the point of my reference.  We had a female Conference President in the early days of our chruch.

For more information on roles that women have played in the SDA Chruch, see:  http://adventistwomensministries.org/index.php?id=58

Additional historical informaiton as to women in ministry can be obtained from:  http://www.sdanet.org/atissue/books/called/benton-08.htm

In 1900, Flora Plumber served as President of the Iowa Conference, also for a short period of time.

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 06:37:44 PM »

We are very similar to the Catholic faith in that we reverence a woman from the founding of the church, and hold her word as being the word of God, yet like the Catholic church we abhor the idea of women functioning in a role of spiritual leadership.

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 02:46:35 PM »

So the premise that Sr  propogated at the Proctor trial in 1985, that the Seventh-day Adventist church is the 2nd Largest Heirarchal church governance in the world, second only to the Roman Catholic Church, has more significance and broader application than we thought at the time?

Would that be why some independent off-shoots have gone so far as to claim the Governance of the SDA church has taken on the character of the infamous "Babylon"?

Is this why our message has been watered down to an ineffective Half Angel's Message?

Was this part of the motivation for the creation of a "non-denominational" broadcast ministry and why they cling so vehemently to their independence from the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists with a small, self perpetuating board of Ultra Conservative SDA lay people with the support of the conservative business laiety known as ASI?

Is this "cause and affect" the source of the Shelton Regime? The premise that they are those that are created to "counteract the counterfeit"? And what is the definition of the "Counterfeit"?

Getting the picture of just what motivated the support of many in the pew for a a new ministry that defied the General Conference and it's Presidents for so many years? And now they are forced to collude with the 3ABN heirarchy!!! Regardless of just how corrupt it's leadership really is???

Gailon Arthur Joy
AUReporter

We are very similar to the Catholic faith in that we reverence a woman from the founding of the church, and hold her word as being the word of God, yet like the Catholic church we abhor the idea of women functioning in a role of spiritual leadership.

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 12:21:23 AM »

It is human nature that there will always be people who cannot live in peace and comfort outside the context of war. Unless they have an enemy, real or imagined, who is in a perpetual state of attack upon themselves who will of course constitute the "righteous," their existence has no purpose or meaning. If they have no true enemy they will provoke one into existence, imagine one into reality, or more often follow someone who can provide them with one. The easiest contexts in which to formulate an enemy of satisfactory significance for a group is politics and religion. Due to the apocalyptic nature of Adventist prophetic doctrine, the SDA church tends to attract more of that type than most other denominations and cults. This is unfortunate as Adventism was founded as a church of growth rather than this strange retardation.

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 03:57:52 PM »

Murcielago, I needs a "Like" button for this post.  Very well said!

It is human nature that there will always be people who cannot live in peace and comfort outside the context of war. Unless they have an enemy, real or imagined, who is in a perpetual state of attack upon themselves who will of course constitute the "righteous," their existence has no purpose or meaning. If they have no true enemy they will provoke one into existence, imagine one into reality, or more often follow someone who can provide them with one. The easiest contexts in which to formulate an enemy of satisfactory significance for a group is politics and religion. Due to the apocalyptic nature of Adventist prophetic doctrine, the SDA church tends to attract more of that type than most other denominations and cults. This is unfortunate as Adventism was founded as a church of growth rather than this strange retardation.

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 08:50:39 PM »

Got news for you:

The Righteous Will be at War until just before the second Coming. It is the church MILITANT!!!
If you are not at war, look around, you may just be TOO conforming and TOO comfortable with the corruption and unrighteousness at every turn. And when you take a stand against corruption and unrighteousness, you will be persecuted and face trials and tribulations. It goes with the territory.

If you do not have the backbone and FAITH to face the challenge, study, pray and listen and the message to march will come through loud and clear. YOU MUST STAND FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS AND JUSTICE AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY and it will have it's consequences, but it will build your Faith and build a little patience at the same time. Also builds character.

And if you walk resolutely in the Faith of Jesus, you will be a part of the Church Victorius!!! That is on the Right Hand of the Throne of Grace.

Gailon Arthur Joy
AUReporter

Johann

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 02:10:35 AM »

2011 Year-end Meeting Report #3

NAD Votes on E 60 Policy: Conference/Mission President Eligibility

Following a two-hour discussion on October 31 concerning Policy E 60, the NAD Year-end Meeting committee members voted to reaffirm the action taken at 2010 Year-end Meeting. The committee requested the following resolution:

Whereas, the North American Division is an integral part of the World Church and respects and values the position of the General Conference as it relates to the Conference/Mission President being an ordained minister, and

Whereas, the North American Division desires compatibility in all policies of the World Church including the ones that deal with women in leadership positions,

In the spirit of equality and being sensitive to the unique needs of our field and not acting in any way contrary to the Bible nor the Spirit of Prophecy,

We hereby vote to affirm the North American Division Working Policy E 60 as is currently written in the 2010-2011 Working Policy book, which reads as follows:

E 60 Conference/Mission President
Inasmuch as the conference/mission president stands at the head of the ministry in the conference/mission and is the chief elder, or overseer of all the churches, a conference/mission president should be an ordained/commissioned minister.

According to the General Conference’s Office of General Counsel, the vote numbered 162 in favor of the affirmation and 61 against it.
        Prior to the discussion of this policy, Dan Jackson, president of the North American Division, led the congregation through the hymn “Have Thine Own Way Lord” and asked for the Holy Sprit’s leading in the discussion. Also, attendees separated in small groups (about three times) to pray about the proceedings. “My desire is that at the end of this discussion everyone present says in their own mind ‘I was in the presence of the Spirit of God,’” said Jackson.
       This vote will allow those who hold the commissioned ministers credentials to lead out in conferences, whether male or female, which could include treasurers, Bible workers, and educational institution presidents.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up