Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brigit of Kildare  (Read 5907 times)

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
Brigit of Kildare
« on: July 02, 2012, 07:29:11 AM »

Since Johann has claimed that Celtic Christianity ordained women as gospel ministers, I thought I would try to verify this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigit_of_Kildare

Johann, do you think it is true that Brigit as an infant vomited the food her father gave her because he was impure, as the article states?

Do you approve of 20th century feminism using Brigit as an icon, as the article states?

Do you think that Brigit performed an abortion, as the article indicates?

How do we sort out the facts from the fables regarding Brigit?

Do you have names of other supposed Celtic lady ministers that we could research?

You have repeatedly insulted those opposed to women's ordination by asserting that they are following Roman Catholic teachings, and you have used Celtic practice as proof of your position. How many Celtic lady ministers did you personally research before making those insults?

Johann

Re: Brigit of Kildare
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 07:41:40 AM »

So you think it aids your view to add these insults?

I could just as well ask you if you feel insulted because we will not have any more rapists ruling the teachings of our church.

If any moderator feels this is inappropriate, then please delete both of these posts!

Gregory

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 07:48:54 AM »

Brigit:

The historical is so infused with the legendary that it is probably impossible to totally seperate them.  It is quite possible that the stories have gotten mixed up with those of other women with the same name and even with  that of a Celtic goddess.

However, the fact remains that Brigit was a historical figure and that she did found certain church institutions (orders)

As a historical person, is it possible that the tradition that she was thoght to have authority equal to that of a Catholic Bishop is true.

The fact that there are many legends about her which may be assumed to be false does not make false everything that is said about her.

Gregory

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 07:58:59 AM »

Epigraphic evidence exists of women bishops. Until at least the ninth century the Church gave women the full sacramental ordination of deacons. Women priests existed in the West during the 4th and 5th centuries according to literary evidence, and according to epigraphic evidence.

For the above see:  www.romancatholicwomenpriests.org

NOTE: That website has several items on it.  For another listing see:

www.romancatholicwomenpriests.org/rcw_respource.pdf

Johann

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 09:05:12 AM »

Brigit of Kildare seems to been honored by many.
As a pagan goddess
As a Roman Catholic nun
Not only modern feminists use her name, but also various Christian denominations.

Then you also have those who try to picture her like a demon.

My sources are more interested in the people who fled from there because they were persecuted for their pure Christianity. Then our task is attempting to cleanse our own church from moral corruption.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 06:00:41 AM »

Epigraphic evidence exists of women bishops. Until at least the ninth century the Church gave women the full sacramental ordination of deacons. Women priests existed in the West during the 4th and 5th centuries according to literary evidence, and according to epigraphic evidence.

For the above see:  www.romancatholicwomenpriests.org

NOTE: That website has several items on it.  For another listing see:

www.romancatholicwomenpriests.org/rcw_respource.pdf

I would be interested in reading the actual evidence, rather than assertions about alleged evidence. As far as deaconesses go, I'm curious as to whether that web site is reading into an historical source RC views on the office of deacon. The same would go for the term "priest." At what point were professedly Christian churches having "priests" if there is no special priesthood established in the NT?

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 06:05:08 AM »

So you think it aids your view to add these insults?

I could just as well ask you if you feel insulted because we will not have any more rapists ruling the teachings of our church.

If any moderator feels this is inappropriate, then please delete both of these posts!

Johann,

Since the above is your only reply in almost 24 hours, I think we must conclude that (a) you merely copied the opinions of others rather than personally identified women who served as ordained ministers within Celtic Christianity, and (b) you concede the point that the ordination of women is tied to or aligned with the feminism movement.
Pages: [1]   Go Up