Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are Chinese Matrilinear Societies the Inspiration for Chinese Women Pastors?  (Read 6095 times)

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/06/090619-fathers-day-2009-no-fathers.html

The above National Geographics article of a few years back delineates an unfamiliar form of family society -- one where women dominate.

Women own property, do business, and rule their families.  Man are around transiently to slip into women's homes at night and father children indiscriminately.  Children have no fathers, only many "uncles".

While this is probably not the mainstream of Chinese society, I am wondering if there may be a bleeding through of female values that generate the phenomenon of the highly vaunted SDA women pastors of China.

What do you think?

"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member

Here is a link to a book available on Amazon that highlights the "Na of China", another matrilineal group.

http://www.amazon.com/Society-without-Fathers-Husbands-China/dp/1890951137

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member

It is possible that a strong sense of women's dominance runs through the culture of the Chinese.  I haven't heard of any other ethnic groups with this unusual type of families.

In that case, it could very well be a factor in the emergence of the female pastors of China.

(Incidentally, I am not the first one to notice and remark on this possibility.)

Gregory

• Veteran Member

In traditional Korean society, women rule the home.  Men typically give them their paycheck and the female in turn  gives the man an allowance.  From the point on, the man has nothing to say as to how the woman spends the rest of his paycheck.  They invest, purchase property and otherwise spend the money.

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member

I worked very closely with a Korean physician.

When his wife, who was also a physician, didn't do what he told her to do, he became quite upset.

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member

In traditional Korean society, women rule the home.  Men typically give them their paycheck and the female in turn  gives the man an allowance.  From the point on, the man has nothing to say as to how the woman spends the rest of his paycheck.  They invest, purchase property and otherwise spend the money.

I also had a friend who was a Korean nurse, married to an American physician, who was very strong on handling househod finances.

She also made it clear by her actions that she looked up to and respected her husband.
Pages: [1]   Go Up