Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Open Letter to Leona Running, Pt. II  (Read 4966 times)

SDAminister

Open Letter to Leona Running, Pt. II
« on: September 04, 2012, 09:54:40 PM »

Adventtalk,
I have rewritten my letter to Leona Running to reflect a more cordial tone. Perhaps this will engender a similar response.

Dear Sister Running,

We understand that you support the ordination of women to the gospel ministry. In nearly 6000 years of earth's history, women have not occupied this role in the family or church.
You have indicated that you feel the Holy Spirit is leading the church to support the teaching you have described. Other than the books written by various human authors, can you give any support from the Bible or Spirit of Prophecy to support your claims? We need to be careful to move on this without a plain "thus saith the Lord."

Here's why:
"Again and again did Wm. Miller [Like the reformers] urge that if his doctrine were false, he should be shown his error from the Scriptures. In an address to Christians of all denominations he wrote: “What have we believed that we have not been commanded to believe by the word of God, which you yourselves allow is the rule and the only rule of our faith and practice? What have we done that should call down such virulent denunciations against us from pulpit and press, and give you just cause to exclude us (Adventists) from your churches and fellowship?” “If we are wrong, pray show us wherein consists our wrong. Show us from the word of God that we are in error; we have had ridicule enough; that can never convince us that we are in the wrong; the word of God alone can change our views. Our conclusions have been formed deliberately and prayerfully, as we have seen the evidence in the Scriptures.” Spirit of Prophecy V4. p 217

I also feel that you unfairly equated racism with those who hold to the Biblical doctrine of male headship. This is unfortunate and should not be brought into the conversation.

I did come across this item:
"Through the years, Dr.Running has vocally and financially supported the idea of women
ministry. Her students have listened to her wax eloquent on the topic. She constantly seeks
to encourage women in their endeavors and to help men see the need for the participation
of women in church activities at all levels. Because of her reserved demeanor, several of
her former students remember their shock and glee when she came to class one day wearing a
T-shirt emblazoned with the words,“A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.”"
www.andrews.edu/sem/article.php?id=110

Would you be willing to explain yourself what you mean "a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle"?

Thank you,

SDAminister

heartfan

Re: Open Letter to Leona Running, Pt. II
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 10:08:56 PM »

This is even worse.  There are millions of single mothers out there who might disagree with you.

Adventtalk,
I have rewritten my letter to Leona Running to reflect a more cordial tone. Perhaps this will engender a similar response.

Dear Sister Running,

We understand that you support the ordination of women to the gospel ministry. In nearly 6000 years of earth's history, women have not occupied this role in the family or church.
You have indicated that you feel the Holy Spirit is leading the church to support the teaching you have described. Other than the books written by various human authors, can you give any support from the Bible or Spirit of Prophecy to support your claims? We need to be careful to move on this without a plain "thus saith the Lord."

Here's why:
"Again and again did Wm. Miller [Like the reformers] urge that if his doctrine were false, he should be shown his error from the Scriptures. In an address to Christians of all denominations he wrote: “What have we believed that we have not been commanded to believe by the word of God, which you yourselves allow is the rule and the only rule of our faith and practice? What have we done that should call down such virulent denunciations against us from pulpit and press, and give you just cause to exclude us (Adventists) from your churches and fellowship?” “If we are wrong, pray show us wherein consists our wrong. Show us from the word of God that we are in error; we have had ridicule enough; that can never convince us that we are in the wrong; the word of God alone can change our views. Our conclusions have been formed deliberately and prayerfully, as we have seen the evidence in the Scriptures.” Spirit of Prophecy V4. p 217

I also feel that you unfairly equated racism with those who hold to the Biblical doctrine of male headship. This is unfortunate and should not be brought into the conversation.

"Through the years, Dr.Running has vocally and financially supported the idea of women
ministry. Her students have listened to her wax eloquent on the topic. She constantly seeks
to encourage women in their endeavors and to help men see the need for the participation
of women in church activities at all levels. Because of her reserved demeanor, several of
her former students remember their shock and glee when she came to class one day wearing a
T-shirt emblazoned with the words,“A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.”"

Would you be willing to explain yourself what you mean "a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle"?

Thank you,

SDAminister

SDAminister

Re: Open Letter to Leona Running, Pt. II
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 07:42:44 AM »

Really? Why so?

This is even worse.  There are millions of single mothers out there who might disagree with you.

Adventtalk,

Dear Sister Running,

Here's why:

Thank you,

SDAminister
Pages: [1]   Go Up