Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rumor mongers?  (Read 21959 times)

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
Re: Rumor mongers?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 03:39:44 PM »

And we want to keep it safe both here and at the sister forum at Maritime Advent Believers OnLine at http://www.maritime-sda-online.com

Ozzie

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 04:49:48 PM »

As I read this it is quite sad to say the least. I have been lurking on another forum when I feel that I would like to catch up on some 'rumors'. Oddly enough, the rumors just keep going and going. How can some call themselves christians and in the light of the Lord if they spread rumors?   :dunno: True or False they are rumors.  I guess I am a different type of person. I do not like the rumor mill no matter what the rumor is. I don't like a liar either. Can't stand them in fact. I have found that if you leave the rumors alone they seem to get bigger and bigger. If they are about you, and you don't defend yourself then they must be true. If they are about you and you DO defend yourself, you are told to forgive. I guess that is one of the main reasons why I can not stand rumors of any kind or in any form. Sometimes it can even lead to slander and liable. I wonder just how long it will take some forums to be sued for liable. I think that is why I do like this forum. No rumors. No lies that I have seen so far. No bashing over and over again. Things seem to be cut off as soon as they start. I have to thank Daryl and the admin and moderators for that. It makes me feel safe. I did not know whether or not I would be posting here much because of what happened on another forum, but I find myself safe here.  :TY: :TY: :TY:

Hi Lil. I can relate very well to what you are saying, and I appreciate the way the Moderators disallow much of the stuff that can be found on other Forums. I FEEL SAFE here too, and for that I say  :TY:

:oops: and I just noticed that we've got a horsey and a bunny smiley here this morning too. How obliging are our Moderaters? Again  :TY:
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.

GrandmaNettie

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 06:07:35 PM »

And we want to keep it safe both here and at the sister forum at Maritime Advent Believers OnLine at http://www.maritime-sda-online.com
Perhaps it would be helpful to the discussion to define "Rumor".

American Heritage Dictionary definition:

Rumor

NOUN:
1.  A piece of unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth.
2.  Unverified information received from another; hearsay.

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary definition:

Rumor

Pronunciation: \rü-m r\ Function: noun Etymology: Middle English rumour, from Anglo-French, from Latin rumor clamor, gossip; akin to Old English r?on to lament, Sanskrit rauti he roars Date: 14th century
1: talk or opinion widely disseminated with no discernible source
2: a statement or report current without known authority for its truth
3archaic : talk or report of a notable person or event
4: a soft low indistinct sound : murmur

And then to round out the picture, the synonyms are helpful...

From Roget's II: The New Thesaurus:

Main Entry: gossip

Part of Speech: noun
Definition: Idle, often sensational and groundless talk about others.
Synonyms: gossipry, hearsay, report, talebearing, tattle, tittle-tattle, word, rumor.
??? ?? ??? ?? ????

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2008, 06:26:44 PM »

Rumor

NOUN:
1.  A piece of unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth.

Rumor

Pronunciation: \rü-m r\ Function: noun Etymology: Middle English rumour, from Anglo-French, from Latin rumor clamor, gossip; akin to Old English r?on to lament, Sanskrit rauti he roars Date: 14th century

Synonyms: gossipry, hearsay, report, talebearing, tattle, tittle-tattle, word, rumor.

Seems appropriate

It probably is beneficial in a way for admissions like this  "this thread is mocking another group who are posting slanderous rumors, and declaring them as facts, and the gullible fall for them". to continue.
For many the contrast is clearly shown, evidenced by the rapid growth of adventtalk.
Open admission that another entire thread is devoted, unprovoked to demonize another forum/group by the very ones wringing their "clean" hands over their righteous stand on "do not accuse the brethren" is something that might tell a different story. I wonder if those that are spreading rumor and making accusations have the proof they should possess before accusing. Does the author of the bolded statement above have the facts or inside knowledge to Know
enough to accuse others? Who, which name is spreading slanderous rumors?? Isn't that suppossed to go to the one suspected of doing such?
Again, if they feel that this is what is happening, why are they so religiously keeping track, reading and commenting, doing what they can to keep it alive?
 Seems rather hypocritical to me all the way around. What ever happened to the "write the sins quietly in the sand" "forgive 7 x 70".
 And the most obvious one, get the 2x4 out of their own eye before they help others with a splinter.
By their admitted deliberate  mocking and accusing others, seems that 2 x4 is getting bigger. Several threads have been devoted to this. Maybe it is just another way to try to keep a forum active. If a forum lacks substance, maybe it is going for quanity of posts to appear so.

These shots will continue,but I think we need to appreciate them. Those that do not take part, and most don't, may see the contrast and the hypocrisey and feel the need or wish for something different. Those that do take part are in their element and where they feel the most comfortable.
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2008, 09:12:37 PM »

Rumor

NOUN:

Rumor

Thank-you for that definition. And for the record, all my statements are sourced, even to you.

I trust you understand the point here.

Gailon Arthur Joy

Lil Star

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2008, 10:17:55 AM »

You know, I was once told that the very place that has those rumors going on and read here to keep them going; that they let controversial things and demeaning things stand so they can get the ratings they need.

I would think that quality vs. quantity would be the best. Without the quality there is no real reason behind having a forum or a place for people to come and share of who they are. Maybe I am just naive. Maybe I see the world through rose colored glasses, I don't know. I just like the fact that we are safe here. I was really scared when I came here to post much, but as you can see, I post quite a bit.     :puppykisses: :rabbit:

We are getting larger and larger and we are still safe with no digging at others.

Now, where did that smilie place go???    :scratch:
RIP mom

Jesus IS enough

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2008, 10:32:24 AM »

Don't know where the smilie went but that goofy rabbit is making me seasick
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Lil Star

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2008, 10:40:16 AM »

heheheheh, but I love the goofy rabbit!   

Today the goofy rabbit has helped me smile some.  At least I didn't put the goofy rabbit in here several times...  :dogwag:
RIP mom

Jesus IS enough

Lil Star

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2008, 02:00:32 PM »

Okay, I am beginning to think I am a massikist or something. I keep going back to a place I KNOW I am not wanted and reading. ( I think it is more habit than anything actually) The one person that almost never posted before, (admin) has started posting all over the place. I ran into this post and was wondering if this site (listed below) is owned by the same man that it appears owns www.adventistreformmovement.com. Odd how a man that forbids what he judges rummor and gossip, and any negative comments regarding 3ABN seems to have an agenda and keeps right on keeping on spreading "information"

The Save Gailon Site
Stan Jensen Administrator Offline
Carpe Diem!!!

Did anyone ever confess to running this and similar ones? Or did someone ever figure it out?

http://savegailon.blogspot.com/
RIP mom

Jesus IS enough

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2008, 02:17:44 PM »

Okay, I am beginning to think I am a massikist or something. I keep going back to a place I KNOW I am not wanted and reading. ( I think it is more habit than anything actually) The one person that almost never posted before, (admin) has started posting all over the place. I ran into this post and was wondering if this site (listed below) is owned by the same man that it appears owns www.adventistreformmovement.com. Odd how a man that forbids what he judges rummor and gossip, and any negative comments regarding 3ABN seems to have an agenda and keeps right on keeping on spreading "information"

The Save Gailon Site
Stan Jensen Administrator Offline
Carpe Diem!!!

Did anyone ever confess to running this and similar ones? Or did someone ever figure it out?

http://savegailon.blogspot.com/

That is about the sleeziest site. Talk about slander. These are the kind of people that have a problem with the ones speaking out about issues and concerns with 3ABN????? :huh:
At least on the much malianged adventtalk, those most directly involved have the courage to step up to the plate and use real names. Wonder if these guys and the owner would do same if asked.

As well as the reasonable caution here to be able to back up what is said.

Wonder how long this has been up. Haven't checked but wonder if the owner has had the courage to identify himself/herself?

I am sure that Linda and Gailion must know of it's existence or would hope they did.

What kind of garbage is this for the handwringers of rumormongering? Maybe these fine upstanding citizens can be slapped with something legally.

With this website popping up after the mysterious appearence of adventistreformmovement and the numerous new posts here by recent members and the almost pathetic, obsessive ,desperate need to keep this up, makes me wonder if someone is getting nervous.

Some comments,
almost think you do not watch 3abn a great deal, because if you did you would know, in fact it is very clear that she wants more than anything to destroy Danny Shelton and the entire ministry.

As for her embezzlement accusation ---"Pay back.............How would that unfaithful woman dare make such cruel lying inuendos--pay back the funds you "MAY" have stolen. Surely seems clear to me who wrote this typical message filled with lies.

She may speak 'smooth' words to some people on some occasions, but I have seen her do just very much the opposite. Those lines you include about the 'serpent woman' seem pretty appropo.

I just want to encourage and pray that God will continue to give you wisdom and clarity of expression. I always pray for her also that she will repent and turn from her lying ways and her blind actions. Maybe they could learn to speak some kind of recognizable english Or, maybe just an attempt to hide the true identity  of these courageous souls

Lillian

BROTHER LEROY RESPONDS
Dear Lillian,

Thanks. Feedback is the breakfast of champions. source

No matter how clear and forceful the preaching, as long as that unfaithful woman persists in hosting demons, no improvement can be expected.

NOT A REGULAR VIEWER

You're right, Lillian. I really don't get around to watching 3abn cuz I have so much other bidness to take care of.

HATE POSSE CELEBRATES

Word is out -- donations at 3abn be down. They be dancin' over at da hate posse!

Destructive harm, however, is wrought by the medium of bad angels, at whose hands the children of Israel in the desert were often afflicted. And those harms which are simply evil and nothing more are brought about by the devil, who works through the medium of sorcerers and witches. MALLEUS MALEFICARUM

When donations go down, how does it help the hate posse?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 03:15:11 PM by bonnie »

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2008, 03:16:57 PM »

Very much aware of "brutha Leroy" and wish they would keep it going as it is good humor and an excellent dichotomy from the Save-3ABN.com

Never know, may liven up yet again.

Gailon Arthur Joy

Johann

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2008, 04:12:34 PM »

A certain man used to worship with our local SDA congregation. Then  he got support from another denomination to establish a clinic with Christian ideals to help young people fight drugs and alcohol. When the authorities checked his accounts, personal spending, etc. his home for addicts was closed and his patients moved elsewhere.

The man claimed there were some misunderstanding based on rumors and gossip. His talk about rumors and evil gossip increased when some young ladies indicated he had handled them in an indecent way. One radio station supported him and permitted him to defend himself against all the evil surmising, rumor and false allegations. And he was also permitted to defend himself on TV.

Just the other day the court weighed the evidence for and against. It was discovered the rumors were not as false as he had claimed. He got three years in prison, had to pay all of the legal fees plus a very heavy amount of money to three ladies.

Neither his religion nor his claims that all the rumors were false kept him out of prison.

Johann Thorvaldsson

inga

• The Sabbath School Network
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2008, 06:35:47 PM »

Neither his religion nor his claims that all the rumors were false kept him out of prison.
Food for thought, isn't it?

It could just happen again. ...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 08:00:24 PM by inga »
Visit http://ssnet.org The Sabbath School Network to see our new look and much more content. And leave us a message. :)

Chrissie

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2008, 06:40:34 PM »

Food for thought, isn't it?

It could just happe again. ...

I hold a belief that it may well come about.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up