Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Go and check out the Christians Discuss Forum for committed Christians at  http://www.christians-discuss.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rumor mongers?  (Read 21957 times)

patsi

Rumor mongers?
« on: April 17, 2008, 06:44:57 PM »

As I was talking to a friend, she told me some stuff about rumors being started from here?
What is the truth about advent talk starting vicious rumors and blaming them for all this hoopla about a deleted thread?
I went to read it to find out you have to pay a monthly fee to be able to do this. I don't have the money to pay fees for that so I don't know. Then a couple of things I could read and it said advent talk starte vicious rumors.

I do not get out into the world as others do. I am sort of bound to my home here.
Maybe I should leave?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 08:48:52 PM by patsi »

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
Re: Rumor mongers?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 08:42:23 PM »

I know nothing about any required payment to be here. I do know that we stand for certain principals and the removal of threads must be carefully considered. Since I assume it relates to discussion on the 3ABN forum under Walla Walla Subpoenas I wil restate the issue and the principals here:

Gailon Arthur Joy

Re: Subpoenaed documents at Walla Walla, WA
« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:35:58 PM » Quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Having now read Gregory's post and a response on a PM to myself, I believe it to be in the best interest of open and transparent discussion that the information be reposted. In fact, not to do so would not give the parties the opportunity to freely express and clarify their position regarding some very important issues.

It is clear that Linda has selected Gregory to be a spokesperson and to represent and clarify her interests to the AdventTalk forums and to deny that is a gross miscarriage of their constitutional right to free speech and Linda's right to clarify her position.

The Forum is not a "defend Linda" forum any more than the lawsuite is a defend Linda lawsuite. The issue is due process, governance and personal financial inurement. To stamp out this discussion puts managment squarely in the "defend Linda" column. If the truth has the affect of exonerating Linda, then so be it. That will not change. If Linda elects not to make use of the  options that result and instead elects an easier and more financially prudent avenue, so be it. It is her right. She must deal with her own right of conscience.

They have a right to be heard and though it is not directly related to the Washington State subpoena's, as Gregory has surmised, an issue is an issue, it has been brewing for some time and it must be aired. Regardless of the consequences.

I would have no alternative but to insist that to substantially alter the discussion is a violation of principals we all stand for and must be re-opened to discussion and that it be open and transparent as the light of day. It is the absolute minimum standard by which most of us have required of institutions and we cannot turn our back on that standard.

Gailon Arthur Joy

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 11:27:03 PM »

You have to wonder why have so much desire to begin rumours seemingly in fun masking their true intent. Repeatedly. There are those reading this that will take it seriously or add their own peculiar truth to this bit of "fun".

Would the suggestion be out of line to request those that are in a constant state of wringing their hands over
"accuser of the brethren" to stop "accusing the brethren" and not keep trying to agitate and keep going on something they profess to hate so much. Maybe state it plainly and stop feeding the bottom of the pond?
Novel idea?? Those that profess so much .............

We need to get a head of the adventist tabloids...
 Rumors Started Here... add your own... 

Other websites, mostly filled rumourmongers and those who feel called to help Satan be the accuser of the brethren by attempting to expose suggested sins going back as far as 10 year, have been quick to blame the former President of 3ABN, D Shelton as the cause as he was in that very area less than 3 years ago. The one self proclaimed investigator reportedly said " yes, yes I believe he was"
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 11:32:09 PM by bonnie »
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Chrissie

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 11:51:24 PM »

As I was talking to a friend, she told me some stuff about rumors being started from here?
What is the truth about advent talk starting vicious rumors and blaming them for all this hoopla about a deleted thread?

I went to read it to find out you have to pay a monthly fee to be able to do this. I don't have the money to pay fees for that so I don't know. Then a couple of things I could read and it said advent talk starte vicious rumors.

I do not get out into the world as others do. I am sort of bound to my home here.
Maybe I should leave?

Patsi, I know many people who are house-bound or have disabilities or whatever. However, that is not an excuse for taking in only the negative things in life.

It does concern me that you seem to take so much notice of what your friends say (?gossip). Personally, I believe that people should examine issues for themselves and hold themselves accountable for the opinions that they come up with. God judges us on our own actions; not those of our friends.

If your friends allege rumours, and you're not sure whether to believe them or not, check it out for yourself; examine the evidence and make your decision accordingly.

If you find that friend's opinions from the internet are too stressful, I suggest that you draw back, and go to some solid Bible Studies and even ask a reputable pastor/layman/student/whoever, to study the Bible with you. There are many people who are only too happy to visit those who are 'shut-in'.

On January 28 2008, you wrote in this Forum "I will tell you right upfront I am not a Seventh Day Advent. Several years ago I began to feel the need for a connection to God in my life and began searching the internet. I was directed to an advent forum and joined."

Some other comments you have made, do disturb me, as it seems that you are not getting the spiritual guidance you need, other from 'friends' on the internet. That is often not a safe way of gaining insight into many issues in life. It is 1 way, but if that is all that you are depending on, I strongly suggest that you widen your horizons and seek information from libraries or a multitude of other sources, that I could name if you were so interested.

As for stating that you have to pay a monthly fee here, I don't know how you came to that conclusion. You may like to rethink that statement?  :dunno:

Ozzie

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 12:10:44 AM »

Maybe I should leave?

Patsi, don't go on with this 'poor me, I am sort of bound to my home' routine. It doesn't wash with me.

I am confined to my home mostly too, but I do not accept that it turns one into a person who can't think for themselves.

Find yourself a hobby. Look for ways to interact with other people. Don't be led along by a nose-ring into taking everything that 'internet friends' tell you, is Gospel Truth'. Don't let dependence on your 'internet friends' and their views of life, colour your perception of what life is all about.

This may sound harsh to you, but I note your comment "Maybe I should leave?" as emotional blackmail; a case of if people don't say what I want to hear, I'll take my bat and ball and go home.

I would not be doing you any favours Patsi, if I did not challenge your negative attitude and point you towards taking responsibility for your own actions. Please take this advise in the spirit in which it is shared. I could just lie down and let the world pass me by and think 'poor me'. I can't get out anywhere, but whose life would that improve? Not mine. Not my family's and not your's.  :scratch:
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.

patsi

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 10:41:33 AM »

Maybe I should leave?

I am sorry Ozzie, I was only asking questions. I do not believe rumors from others, that is why I went to the other place and tried to check it out only to find I needed to pay money in order to read it. The couple of things I did read said that the vicious rumors started here. I did not see that here.
I do not want to get anyone into a tizzy. That is why I offered to leave. The few things I read at that place were harsh and I do not want that here. It seems safe here. I do have my pitfalls yes, as does everyone. Bonnie has said some things that I have taken to God and will listen to what He says to me about them. 

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 12:09:13 PM »

Patsi,

The bottom line is you do not have to believe Bonnie. What you should hope for in the topic of abuse, ANY KIND is to prevent it first and foremost . Those that fight so hard against preventing harm to others should be suspect as to their true motives.

It doesn't matter whether it involves televangelists, many have fallen when the truth came out,or domestic abuse, or sexual abuse. Abuse flourishes because people allow it, condone it, and ridicule those that want to prevent it.

The ability to silence those striving for change is changing and becoming harder. This makes any enemy of change or exposure more vicious in their attempts to stop any attempt to prevent. The internet shines the light of day, almost instantly on those doing so. Rather than following their own advice to stay silent , they become more vocal in condemning others. A action they profess to abhor.

If I feel very strongly a discussion of certain actions "accuse the brethren" or are wrong on all counts, I do not go searching out places where it is being discussed and take part.  I do not lay in wait for any opportune moment to bring up the topic to those acting on behalf of satan. I do not bring it up out of the blue just to make sure it doesn't die down. I do not keep adding fuel to the fire a little at a time. This topic is brought up repeatedly by the very same  that are quick to give the impression,"Thank God I am not as other men"
They don't mind feeding that which lives at the bottom of the pond in their opinion, just want to make sure that they appear to have clean righteous hands while keeping them alive.

Some of this involves me personally of course and this seems to have caused you a problem. It is a larger picture than just myself .

Again, the skill of keeping events alive, the very events you so publically and strongly condemn,is a well honed art, and rarely reserved for just one person.

Words do mean things, especially when repeated over and over,impressing all with your conviction.
Adventists have ,"Truth can Stand Investigation" almost as a trademark it seems. For many the little catch there is "depends on what truth you are talking about".

Great harm can come from feeling every little infraction of a rule must be exposed. As great a harm comes from keeping serious and harmful infractions under wraps, allowing them to continue, pretending all is well.

If I do not want something exposed, I will not do all in my power to keep it going,go on the attack,ridicule,keep on accusing another of lying, almost daring them to expose another. A friend or supporter such as this would quickly be removed from my trusted friends.
But on the flip side of that, if I were sure enough of my ground in complete support of a friend, I would not fear or fight against exposure. Rather want that opportunity to exonerate someone I felt was innocent.

This is not an option for those so strongly in favor of supporting the fight against truth and when needed, exposure. It is feared and in that fear, they cannot leave it alone, but must continue to ridicule.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 03:26:34 PM by bonnie »
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

patsi

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 03:52:24 PM »

People are afraid of change. Have you ever thought of that? They may have a different approach to the matter. Have you ever asked them how?

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 04:01:43 PM »

People are afraid of change. Have you ever thought of that? They may have a different approach to the matter. Have you ever asked them how?

Repeatedly. The answer remains the same. "Do not accuse the brethren" write the sins quietly in the sand" "forgive 7 x 70" The forgive part always comes first and nothing else is considered.
This covers any and all forms of abuse or misconduct.

Suggestions have been directly asked for in most situations. The suggestion remains forgive

This keeps going in endless circles and makes me wonder why. Is it your personal dislike of me that causes you to completely avoid real issues?? Not once have you requested information on what could be done. Not once has information on the work of Mabel Dunbar been requested. Not once concern for those that bear the brunt of inaction has been expressed. Some certainly do this with little thought to the damage by lack of action it can cause.
We all use common sense prevention in our daily lives, especially concerning our children. Why is applying this to issues of abuse cause for such hate,fear or avoidance?

« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 04:14:56 PM by bonnie »

Chrissie

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 06:44:06 PM »

Patsi, a large majority of people are afraid of change. Does that mean that one should not have the courage to stand and question things for themselves?

We won't see Jesus on the merits of 'we're afraid of change', but rather on how much we have sought Jesus and truth, for ourselves.

Ginge

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 12:04:21 AM »

Let's go back to the original question--Was there a rumor started on AT about CA?

On Townhall at CA is a thread entitled "Start your rumours here", it is for fun.

Let me put all your minds at ease.  No there was never a rumor started by AT.  CA is not concerned that there was.  There is however, a thread on CA in the paid section of "Natter Matters" called "This thread has not been deleted". It is delightful and hilarious, you would enjoy doing one here.  They are already up to 11 pages of pure nonsense and still going. 

Laughter is good for the soul.   LIGHTEN UP people.

Chrissie

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 12:59:02 AM »

Let's go back to the original question--Was there a rumor started on AT about CA?

On Townhall at CA is a thread entitled "Start your rumours here", it is for fun.

Let me put all your minds at ease.  No there was never a rumor started by AT.  CA is not concerned that there was.  There is however, a thread on CA in the paid section of "Natter Matters" called "This thread has not been deleted". It is delightful and hilarious, you would enjoy doing one here.  They are already up to 11 pages of pure nonsense and still going. 

Laughter is good for the soul.   LIGHTEN UP people.

Thank you for your explanation Ginge.  :TY: As I don't visit CA, I didn't have a clue what was being referrred to.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 05:06:11 AM »

Laughter is good for the soul.   LIGHTEN UP people.

Ginge,

Laughter is very good for the soul. But not when that laughter is created for the sole purpose of carrying out a not so hidden agenda.
Humor directed at yourself is one thing.  If we can't laugh at ourselves it would be a pretty sad world.

It ceases to be humor when phrases like "doing the work of satan" or "liking lies" are used. The very words used previously, very seriously, on a topic that has had strong feelings on even discussing this topic
Most participating in that thread did react in  a humourous way. I will give most credit, even tho the topic of the integrity of people here was introduced frequently,to keep it alive, most left it alone. One theme that some wanted to present was not humorous.

According to some fabricated sources, along with several other, this may rumour may have been started on Advenist talk. Facts seem to be frivolous there anyway.

Even leaving the above at "some fabricated sources" would have passed as humor. But when you add for the sake of making it a little more pointed , along with several others, that it may have been started on adventist talk where facts seem to be frivilous anyway. Bringing it up several times when most didn't touch this comment,humor is no longer a word that can be used
Using very same words, naming the very people you have used them on, that have been used in the strongest condemnation,this humor carries with it a not so subtle, not so hidden agenda.

Humor, meant to demean a specific group or person for a personal agenda, is not humor. 

I have a friend that struggles with obesity. Quite a serious problem for her. She is quite humorous when directing attention towards herself and her own problems.  Her description of trying to fit in a airline seat can have you doubled over. However, how humorous would any consider it for me to single her out publically and do same. With the sole intent of drawing attention to a topic or her problem that I had already expressed strong displeasure over having been brought up by another?
An attempt to slam another, a attempt to demean,using so called humor,is not good clean fun
 The fun we all need. Using humor to show your contempt for others, others that you have already blasted publically in a very serious way, using the same words, not disguised as humor, is not humor and nothing good and clean about it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 05:45:21 AM by bonnie »

patsi

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 08:03:25 AM »

BTW, I am getting more and more curious as to your personal agenda.
Seems you have the same affinity for avoiding the true topic and interest for one you keep manufacturing. Have we done this somewhere before

In SNT?  Dunno

I was familiar with SNT. I do recognize some as being members there. I did lurk quite often and suddenly found it to be closed. It always seemed it was filled with the same objections. YOU CAN"T FORGIVE.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 09:17:50 AM by patsi »

Lil Star

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 09:08:10 AM »

As I read this it is quite sad to say the least. I have been lurking on another forum when I feel that I would like to catch up on some 'rumors'. Oddly enough, the rumors just keep going and going. How can some call themselves christians and in the light of the Lord if they spread rumors?   :dunno: True or False they are rumors.  I guess I am a different type of person. I do not like the rumor mill no matter what the rumor is. I don't like a liar either. Can't stand them in fact. I have found that if you leave the rumors alone they seem to get bigger and bigger. If they are about you, and you don't defend yourself then they must be true. If they are about you and you DO defend yourself, you are told to forgive. I guess that is one of the main reasons why I can not stand rumors of any kind or in any form. Sometimes it can even lead to slander and liable. I wonder just how long it will take some forums to be sued for liable. I think that is why I do like this forum. No rumors. No lies that I have seen so far. No bashing over and over again. Things seem to be cut off as soon as they start. I have to thank Daryl and the admin and moderators for that. It makes me feel safe. I did not know whether or not I would be posting here much because of what happened on another forum, but I find myself safe here.  :TY: :TY: :TY:
RIP mom

Jesus IS enough
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up