Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad or Good  (Read 10497 times)

Lil Star

Bad or Good
« on: April 25, 2008, 11:24:01 PM »

Can anyone tell me what makes for a good adventist and/or what makes for a bad adventist? 
Does what someone eat make them a bad adventist and not saved if it is things like fish or the occasional meat products? Is it not following each and every letter of the 10 C's?  Is ????????  Just WHAT makes the difference in how or what we are? How do I know if I am a bad adventist or not? I have been told I'm not worth much not even the time of responding to a question. So, I'm wondering, am I even worth being an Adventist or should I start looking for another religion?  Right now, I am just very confused on which way to go in my life. One thing I DO know is that I am of Jesus Christ. I am one of His children. But, am I even really worth His love and compassion??? :dunno:
RIP mom

Jesus IS enough

Ozzie

Re: Bad or Good
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 12:56:24 AM »

Can anyone tell me what makes for a good adventist and/or what makes for a bad adventist? 
Does what someone eat make them a bad adventist and not saved if it is things like fish or the occasional meat products? Is it not following each and every letter of the 10 C's?  Is ????????  Just WHAT makes the difference in how or what we are? How do I know if I am a bad adventist or not? I have been told I'm not worth much not even the time of responding to a question. So, I'm wondering, am I even worth being an Adventist or should I start looking for another religion?  Right now, I am just very confused on which way to go in my life. One thing I DO know is that I am of Jesus Christ. I am one of His children. But, am I even really worth His love and compassion??? :dunno:

NONE of us are worth His love and compassion Lil, but yet he died on the cross, that each of us may have Eternal Life and live with Him forever. In His eyes, each individual person is very precious. He gave His life not for a group, but each person as an individual.

As to what makes a 'good' or 'bad' Adventist, I believe that is a highly subjective topic, IMO. Who decides who is 'good' and who is 'bad'? I think I'll leave the judgement to God, as He alone is perfect. The Bible tells us that there is not one who is good; except Christ Himself. I'm happy to accept what the Bible tells me, rather than what other people say.

I'd probably be classified as a 'bad Adventist', as I wear my wedding and engagement rings, and don't comply with many of the 'Shalt-Nots' that I hear many SDA people go on and on about, as they serve the Pastor (or other Church members), with the salad platter at Sabbath lunch. Gossip seems to be quite OK, as long as it's about 'those out there' who don't think and do things the way others think they should be done.

The most important thing is to have a relationship with Christ. Other people's opinions are just that. Opinions alone!

How many of the so-called 'good Adventists' could sit in the gutter with someone who needed that love and compassion? Many could just not bring themselves to 'lower themselves' to do that, but where did Jesus meet the people? Where they were and I believe that we need to follow His example.
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.

daylily

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 04:12:55 PM »

A "good' Adventist is a converted Christian. A "bad" Adventist is an unconverted "Christian". A "good' Baptist is a converted Christian. A "bad" Baptist is an unconverted "Christian". A "good' Lutheran is a converted Christian. A "bad" Lutheran is an unconverted "Christian". I could go on and on and on but you get the idea I'm sure.  The word Christian means "little Christ" and was originally meant to be a negative, mocking term but the disciples liked it and began to use it.  A Christian is a person who has accepted the sacrifice of Jesus on his/her behalf and is allowing Jesus to be Lord of his/her life as well. If Jesus is Lord of my life, I will pay attention to what He said in the Bible and do what he told me to do. Jesus Himself said He kept His Father's commandments and I will do the same. God provides the power to do what He asks me to do. The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation but only "to every one that believeth" (See Romans 1:16)  Believeth what? That God keeps His promises.  "The just shall live by faith." God promises the power, we believe He will do what He says.
Paul said "I am crucified with Christ; nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." Galatians 2:10.  This is the secret of the Christian's strength: It is Christ, the Son of God, the One to whom all power in heaven and earth is given, who does the work. We must choose to allow Him to do the work, and that choosing is something we CAN do.

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 09:38:59 AM »

The defining characteristic of any member of the Remnant Church is made pretty clear in Revelation:

12:17And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ

It is up to each of us to "study to show thyself approved before God".

I remember Elder Ralph Larson making the point rather pointedly that the Bible and the Testimonies to the Church were not just written for the church, they were written for ME!!! I must find the truth therein and apply it to myself.

You may want to read Hakim's thread on Dispensation. Very revealing and keeps us humble knowing we have inherited nothing, but must study to acheive atonement on our own. Each and every one, individually.

And if you know the commandments and have the Testimony, you will most surely want to share it. After all, just how many of your friends have no idea of that day or the hour in which we live?

Ever look at the obituaries and wonder if they even had a chance to know the truth? Ever wonder whether you should have done more to let someone know the commandments and to have lived as if you had the Testimony as an example to those within your realm of influence? That is the agony of the final tribulation. We will all have to live with the fact that probation, even for the living, is now closed and must wonder just what did we do to whom that may have cost them their eternal life.

When those concerns are real, you have acheived atonement with your Lord and Saviour and will live in the Spirit daily. You will emulate Christ.

And that is a GOOD Seventh-day Adventist.

Gailon Arthur Joy

Pages: [1]   Go Up