Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: and there was a great calm!  (Read 9786 times)

sky

• (Not the same Sky at Maritime)
and there was a great calm!
« on: May 07, 2008, 05:31:02 PM »

"On the same day, when evening had come, He said to them, 'Let us cross over to the other side.' Now when they had left the multitude, they took Him along in the boat as He was. And other little boats were also with Him. And a great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that it was already filling. But He was in the stern, asleep on a pillow. And they awoke Him and said to Him, 'Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?' Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, 'Peace be still!' And the wind ceased and there was a great calm." Mark 4:35-40.

Now this is the word which by the Gospel is preached unto us. Thanks to the merits of Christ's infinite sacrifice, the word of peace is spoken for every soul:

"Every man's experience testifies to the truth of the words of Scripture, 'The wicked are like the troubled sea, when it cannot rest. There is no peace, saith my God, to the wicked.' Isaiah 57:20,21. Sin has destroyed our peace. While self is unsubdued, we can find no rest. The masterful passions of the heart no human power can control. We are as helpless here as were the disciples to quiet the raging storm. But He who spoke peace to the billows of Galilee has spoken the word of peace for every soul. However fierce the tempest, those who turn to Jesus with the cry, 'Lord, save us,' will find deliverance. " D.A.336.

The word of peace to every soul is, "Peace to you." John 20:19,21,26. In the beginning God said, "Let there be light! And there was light!" Now God says, "Let the peace of God rule in your heart." Colossians 3:15. "Today if you will hear His voice, do not harden your heart." Heb.4:7;3:7. In other words, if you are crying out for deliverance, submit to the voice of Him whose word can renew the soul unto everlasting life! For "He speaks and it is done!" Ps.33:9.

An the word of His peace, "Peace to you," is the word of His grace:

"His grace, that reconciles the soul to God, quiets the strife of human passion, and in His love the heart is at rest. 'He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still. Then are they glad because they be quiet; so He brings them into their desired haven.' Ps.107:29,30. 'Being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.' 'The work of righteousness shall be peace, and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.'" D.A.336,37.

"All His commandments are righteousness." Psalm 119:172.

The word of peace for every soul is, "Peace to you." Amen! It is so unto all and upon all them that believe. "And the peace of God which passeth all understanding will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Phil.4:7.

"How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace." Rom.10:15.

sky

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
Re: and there was a great calm!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 05:51:35 PM »

Excellent posts and a great devotional.

Gailon Arthur Joy

Emma

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 01:15:17 AM »

May I add one of my favourite texts, Isaiah 26:3, Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee, because he trusteth in Thee.

These words have meant a lot, over various situations.

Not that I think the devotional needs additions, but these are just my thoughts in a similar vein.

sky

• (Not the same Sky at Maritime)
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 08:00:38 AM »

May I add one of my favourite texts, Isaiah 26:3, Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee, because he trusteth in Thee.

These words have meant a lot, over various situations.

Not that I think the devotional needs additions, but these are just my thoughts in a similar vein.

This passage fits right in. To trust in Him is to trust His word. He speaks peace to us. "Peace to you." "Nor shall My covenant of peace be removed." Isaiah 54:10.

"Peace, peace to him who is far off and to him who is near, says the Lord, And I will heal him." Isaiah 57:19. "I will hear what God the Lord will speak. He will speak peace to His people and to His saints." Ps.85:8. "He shall speak peace to the nations." Zachariah 9:10. 

"And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near." Eph.2:17.

"Peace to you." John 20:21. Amen!

"Being justified by faith, we have peace with God." Rom.5:2.

sky

Those who hunger and thirst for righteousness need not wait one moment before they may make peace with God. They need not wait until they have made a suitable repentance before they may claim this blessing. These dear souls may have the blessing even now. "Now is the accepted time. Now is the day of salvationl" 2 Cor.6:2. "Today if you will hear His voice, do not harden your heart." Heb.4:7.

"He speaks and it is done." Ps.33:9.

"Peace to you." John 20:21.

"And the peace of God which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:7.

"He Himslelf is our peace." Eph.2:14.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 08:07:53 AM by sky »
Pages: [1]   Go Up