Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Two Forums to be Served Soon By 3ABN  (Read 60908 times)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
Two Forums to be Served Soon By 3ABN
« on: January 26, 2008, 01:00:38 PM »

Nominations for the team of 5 [Re: CyberGuy] 
Stan Jensen Stan Jensen   
Carpe Diem!!!

Loc: 49.05° Lat- 122.3° Long   Originally Posted By: CyberGuy
All right but what about Church leaders then. I remember that Stan banned all discussion on Danny Sheltons divorce of his wife as a personal attack against Danny Shelton. Many of us thought we were just attacking the act of divorcing his wife and marrying someone else. Attacking an action.

That was banned as they become became a liability to me, and I was not going to carry that burden. The owners of two other forums are going to be served soon, and we are not going to be.

Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

bonnie

• Veteran Member
Re: Two Forums to be Served Soon By 3ABN
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 01:11:54 PM »

The link to the above post

http://www.clubadventist.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/153611/fpart/5

NOTE:  I corrected the link so it will work. - Daryl Fawcett, Administrator
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 01:24:50 PM by Daryl Fawcett »
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 01:25:36 PM »

Here is a better format of the quote from the post Bonnie is referring to there:
Quote from: Stan Jensen
Quote from: CyberGuy
All right but what about Church leaders then. I remember that Stan banned all discussion on Danny Sheltons divorce of his wife as a personal attack against Danny Shelton. Many of us thought we were just attacking the act of divorcing his wife and marrying someone else. Attacking an action.

That was banned as they become became a liability to me, and I was not going to carry that burden. The owners of two other forums are going to be served soon, and we are not going to be.

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 01:27:22 PM »

I wonder what two forums Stan is referring to?

As this is a brand new one, will this one be added, or is this one of the two?

Also, how is it that Stan of CA knows so much about these type of things?

I also wonder if Calvin of BSDA is aware of this?

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 01:34:01 PM »

There are several other posts there in response to the one quoted here.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 01:49:26 PM »

There is much going on at the moment on C/A. Personal attacks have been under discussion and that let to this in some trying to devise rules for a forum.

It will be interesting to see how all this plays out. I have had occassion lately to place information with an attorney on the issue of slander,libel and harrassment on the internet

One clear cut  thought seems to emerge, Lies, those that are deliberate or an accusation of someone committing a crime without proof and being circulated in a secretive and destructive manner can be dealt with if there is clear proof. A copy of the original slanderous statement  identifying  the sender and intent is one form of proof. A statment to one party, I think you did this is, is really nothing. When that changes and says Party A is guilty of this crime and it is circulated to a third or more parties the color of the act changes.

So far the statute of limitations are unclear as to the far reach of the internet.  However those issues of past occurrence that are no longer viable can quickly become so when the guilty party brings up and includes past incidences with present behaviour.

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 03:03:01 PM »

As a result of this threat from 3ABN, be it true or false, I think it would be a good idea to see if we can locate and post about what Litigation on the Internet, especially as it relates to Discussion Boards, such as this one in the USA, and one like MSDAOL in Canada.

I understand that USA Litigation Laws and Canadian Litigation Laws are extremely different. 

Perhaps we should devote a whole separate topic about this?

Chrissie

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 03:09:29 PM »

There is much going on at the moment on C/A. Personal attacks have been under discussion and that let to this in some trying to devise rules for a forum.

It will be interesting to see how all this plays out. I have had occassion lately to place information with an attorney on the issue of slander,libel and harrassment on the internet

One clear cut  thought seems to emerge, Lies, those that are deliberate or an accusation of someone committing a crime without proof and being circulated in a secretive and destructive manner can be dealt with if there is clear proof. A copy of the original slanderous statement  identifying  the sender and intent is one form of proof. A statment to one party, I think you did this is, is really nothing. When that changes and says Party A is guilty of this crime and it is circulated to a third or more parties the color of the act changes.

So far the statute of limitations are unclear as to the far reach of the internet.  However those issues of past occurrence that are no longer viable can quickly become so when the guilty party brings up and includes past incidences with present behaviour.
No quite sure what all this is about and where this came from as I am not a member of CA, but I feel that the rules and regulations set down for this Forum are sensible and practical. I look forward to what others have to say. Maybe there is a need for much deeper discussion on this issue.

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 03:11:52 PM »

Perhaps this would be the ideal place to research and discuss this.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 03:24:38 PM »

+This is some information I was directed to as a result of an ongoing situation at this time. It includes  information pertaining to that and am not sure how much would refer to or be helpful to "Other Two Forums to be Served.

The time limit or statute of limitations can many times be overturned, especially if the party being sued makes efforts and actions bringing in non-viable issues and making them present day..

http://www.carter-ruck.com/FAQs/Libel%20and%20Slander%20Cases.html

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 03:33:21 PM »

By the way, Bonnie also posted this over at Maritime SDA OnLine before posting it here, therefore, we are also discussing this there, however, in order for you to be able to read it there, as well as other some of the other interesting topics pertaining to 3ABN, you need to be a registered member there.

In case some of you are not aware of Maritime SDA OnLine, the link is http://www.maritime-sda-online.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

By the way, for those who do not know, I am also the Administrator of Maritime SDA OnLine. :)

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 03:37:38 PM »

Re:  "The owners of the other two forums are going to be served soon..."

Is this quote by Stan Jensen hearsay?

He didn't reveal its source...

Did it come from somewhere as a means of intimidation?

BSDA was recently shut down for a while.  There appeared to be some intense activity before the shutdown involving moderators by some 3ABN/Danny Shelton supporters.

BSDA is open again but the documentory stories and letters that were pinned at the top have been taken down.

Appletree at BSDA has just suggested that the admins of 3ABN stop the 3ABN discussion.
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 03:58:06 PM »

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 04:00:23 PM »

OK - I have a question.  This is simply a question so I hope to not be sued for libel :scratch:...but I seem to recall hearing (or reading??) somewhere (maybe BSDA?) that Stan Jensen was already cooperating with the lawsuit and had turned over his Club Adventist access logs to DS/3ABN attorneys.  IF that is true.....wouldn't that explain why he says "we are not going to be [served]?"

Nominations for the team of 5 [Re: CyberGuy] 
Stan Jensen Stan Jensen   
Carpe Diem!!!

Loc: 49.05° Lat- 122.3° Long   Originally Posted By: CyberGuy

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 04:02:42 PM »

It will be interesting to see how all this plays out. I have had occassion lately to place information with an attorney on the issue of slander,libel and harrassment on the internet.

If you had that oportunity you must most certainly have run head long into the Lanham act and several decisions from 9th Circuit, 6th Circuit and even the 1st Circuit Courts of Appeal regarding many of these issues. We did that research a year ago in preparation for what we thought the Minnesota firm would come out swinging with, an Ex Parte Motion for Injunctive Relief against Save3ABN.com and other forums; The summary of caselaw did not bode well for such an effort and they clearly opted out of that since they would most certainly have lost. They used their ex parte on a Motion to Impound, which turned out similarly fatal.

In the United States, the First Amendment is the ultimate defense for forums and websites and they can pursue all the forums and every domain they want...all they will continue to do is burn donor dollars...and yes, I have heard that it is not donor money...just how foolish is it to make such a statement when clearly someone other than DLS or 3ABN general fund moneys are not paying, but a supporter/donor contibutes untold sums to try and suppress the freedom of speech???

How much better to resolve the issues, confess the errors, request forgiveness, pay appropriate restitution to the injured parties and move on to complete your mission. But alas, no, better to try and destroy the messengers than show humility and Christian Spirit.

Now, if these internet miscreants would just learn when to cry Uncle!!! After all, administrative arrogance has worked for many years. Why isn't it working now???  And what if these foolish defenders of the Faith and the Right of Conscience actually win???

May the protestant reformation, the right of conscience and the right to free speech endure!!!

Gailon Arthur Joy

One clear cut  thought seems to emerge, Lies, those that are deliberate or an accusation of someone committing a crime without proof and being circulated in a secretive and destructive manner can be dealt with if there is clear proof. A copy of the original slanderous statement  identifying  the sender and intent is one form of proof. A statment to one party, I think you did this is, is really nothing. When that changes and says Party A is guilty of this crime and it is circulated to a third or more parties the color of the act changes..

These issues relate to the issue of defamation or libel per se. Problem is, what if the proof is that the allegations are correct or the allegant had reasonable basis to believe they were
correct based upon reliable information? The one defamed does not have to have been convicted, but the allegation, supported by documentation, merely has to pass the IRC or Statutory elements test based upon the testimony of experts. A defmation case will ultimately go down in flames, once the defendants have had a chance to complete discovery to further document the facts of the charges alleged. What a waste of money for the plaintiff and would most likely lead to further discoverable evidence not to the benefit of the Plaintiffs.

One other point of order, the statement here is clearly designed to be fluffy intimidation for two key reasons:
Written false statements are Libel, not slander;
Libel and defamation is not covered by any criminal code that I am aware of and therefore not a crime. They are civil torts, in some cases common law, in others statutory. Not crimes.

Yes, statute of limitations is a mysteriously wonderful concept, except, it can even be tolled
under certain circumstances. Now, explain just how it is relevant? And what is this presumption of "guilt"? Of what, using the Freedom of Speech? Excersizing ones Right of Conscience? Just what is the guilt undefined here?

Gailon Arthur Joy

=============

Formatting edit only in order for quotes to show up as quotes. - Daryl Fawcett, Administrator
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 05:09:51 PM by Daryl Fawcett »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up