Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Genealogy  (Read 20442 times)

Ozzie

Re: Genealogy
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 12:11:33 AM »

Ozzie,

You should have seen my mother's reaction when some of her relatives surfaced. Thought I would have to call the paramedics.

When she found out the very close relation to Aneheuser-Busch brewery it was almost more than she could take. She didn't want anyone to know. Here in the states that one is well known and a biggy

Oh dear! Some of the stories I was led to believe when I was young and innocent!  :ROFL: Like the priest only got around once a year to marry all the couples (but they'd already had a 'civil marriage' - no records anywhere though to confirm that line). What spin we were fed. :dunno:

Then, finding out that my grand mother had actually given birth to a daughter before she even met my grandfather and that her mother adopted the daughter. Rather confusing having an aunt who is really a sister!  :purr:

Did they really believe that every one was so dense? One thing they didn't bargain on, and that was computers and 'knowledge being increased' and people 'running to and fro', so that we now have the ability to track so much history.
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 09:49:05 AM »

Ozzie,

You should have seen my mother's reaction when some of her relatives surfaced. Thought I would have to call the paramedics.

When she found out the very close relation to Aneheuser-Busch brewery it was almost more than she could take. She didn't want anyone to know. Here in the states that one is well known and a biggy

Oh dear! Some of the stories I was led to believe when I was young and innocent!  :ROFL: Like the priest only got around once a year to marry all the couples (but they'd already had a 'civil marriage' - no records anywhere though to confirm that line). What spin we were fed. :dunno:

Then, finding out that my grand mother had actually given birth to a daughter before she even met my grandfather and that her mother adopted the daughter. Rather confusing having an aunt who is really a sister!  :purr:

Did they really believe that every one was so dense? One thing they didn't bargain on, and that was computers and 'knowledge being increased' and people 'running to and fro', so that we now have the ability to track so much history.

Those babies always told the story didn't they. I am sure no one ever believed that the true story would come out. How tough that must have been for some of those poor women that were blamed and disgraced as if they did it all alone
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 10:47:30 AM »

A written history of your family makes a great and lasting gift.
After my mother past away,we were afraid her life's story would be forgotten. The Christmas following her death,I wrote her life's story and had it bound in book form. Her life was an inspiration to many . It was made even more interesting and worthy of not being forgotten because of her early years and adoption following the death of her mother to the flu of 1918.

Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

GrammieT

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 06:04:59 PM »

Ozzie,

Those babies always told the story didn't they. I am sure no one ever believed that the true story would come out. How tough that must have been for some of those poor women that were blamed and disgraced as if they did it all alone

Hey Ozzie:  My sister worked for many years as an OB nurse.  She always said, "The first one can come anytime.  :hot: After that, it takes nine months."  :purr:
GrammieT   :usa:  :dogwag:

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 06:09:46 PM »

Hey Ozzie:  My sister worked for many years as an OB nurse.  She always said, "The first one can come anytime.  :hot: After that, it takes nine months."  :purr:

I have often tried to imagine what it was like for women  100 years ago(actually not that long) to face what they did when the pregnancy became obvious. Or a young woman without family support and daddy taking a hike as soon as he got the "good News"

Chrissie

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 07:33:53 PM »

I have often tried to imagine what it was like for women  100 years ago(actually not that long) to face what they did when the pregnancy became obvious. Or a young woman without family support and daddy taking a hike as soon as he got the "good News"

It would have been really tough for them.

Emma

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 05:28:21 PM »

Things change, now in the OB business we always refer to 'partner' and not to husband unless we know them well enough to be sure what the bond is.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 05:49:54 PM »

Things change, now in the OB business we always refer to 'partner' and not to husband unless we know them well enough to be sure what the bond is.

What I found that seemed so odd was the "illegitimate" ofspring,(nasty word) was many times claimed by the biological father and acknowledged in the will. Of course they needed to live out of town or if a large town, on the outskirts, away from "polite" company". The women of course were not. As if they were no longer worthy to be recognized.

Must have been tough being a woman in those years.

Naja

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 10:25:36 AM »

This topic thread was just now for me such a fascinating read.
I am all inspired. Could you please help me begin by telling me how to start?
I have great grandparents as immigrants from Europe come over on the boat and probably landed at Ellis Island. Otherwise I have no connection to any relative who knows anything of our past ancestry.

Could you two help me get started, please?

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2008, 10:52:32 AM »

This topic thread was just now for me such a fascinating read.
I am all inspired. Could you please help me begin by telling me how to start?
I have great grandparents as immigrants from Europe come over on the boat and probably landed at Ellis Island. Otherwise I have no connection to any relative who knows anything of our past ancestry.

Could you two help me get started, please?
You will be surprised how much the older generation knows that they think they don't. Start with what you do know, living at time of death etc.

We had nothing but the sketchy memories of my mother and her brother,5 & 7 when their world was turned upside down following the death of their mother. We knew their birthplace and what orphnage they were sent to and that was about it. Prior to doing research my father accidently discovered part of my mother's maternal family. Their knowledge was limited as my grandmother married and moved to MT from MN, making contact pretty hit and miss.
Even newspaper articles can be of a great help. Years ago the small town newspaper would report even a luncheon and who attened. I searched for a relative for years. I stumbled across a article in the social portion of the paper.
I had looked for a man named Gene,only to find out it was Eugene. Found him with one phone call to information.

Obits in papers are another good source for relatives. If you have a name to begin with, you can generally find out by starting his last address and working backwards.

Census are a little eye crossing to read, but can be a fountain of info. I located my g.grandparents thru there.  We had some reports by then that G.grandma had been a very formidable woman, especially for her day. The census was revealing as she is listed as owner of several properties and my g.grandfather as the border.

Write a list of what you know and then give us what you feel comfortable doing, no names,just the info you have. Maybe I or someone else can help you get started from there.

Don't be surprised at what skeletons start to rattle. We all have them

Naja

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 10:56:38 AM »

I have been rolling this over in my mind and wonder if I went to some LDS Mormon archive genealogy research center if I would get contacts to certain documents. Especially about ships setting sail for America and their passenger lists. It seems such a mammoth undertaking to get the ball rolling. I have such little to go on as to my ancestry search. I just have this strong curiosity of where they lived, what for jobs they had and if they were all members of the RCC over there in Europe. My aunts, uncles, parents, siblings, grand and great-grandparents are all dead. It seems I should have started earlier in asking questions. My three living cousins are all moved away from the places I knew of and live somewhere in Texas, New Jersey but I don't know where. Remarriage has change their names so I can easily find them through a search.

Oh, well, it was nice reading your account, Bonnie with your suggestions. I am glad you were able to for yourself find some relatives of the past. I like identity that comes from seeing how DNA produces interesting people.

Johann

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 04:27:14 PM »

Interesting to read. . .  Here in Iceland we have quite different possibilities. Every citizen can register to use a genealogical net which shows his ancestry and all of his relatives back to about 1500 or 1600. There I can find all of my father's ancestors and relatives, but not my mother's because she was Danish and there are no records of her ancestors. I can figure out how closely related I am to any other citizen, and most Icelanders are related no further back than 8 or 9 generations.

A couple of months ago we had a gathering of relatives, offspring of my grandparents. About 150 came for the gathering, where I happened to be the main speaker. I discovered a number of relatives I had never heard of before. We all decided to have more such gatherings in the future.

guide4him

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008, 05:57:14 PM »

I found some names of people in a local library within some geneology magazines. These were in lists of people who came in on boats from Europe. Some appeared to be familiar. I sent whatever info I found to my sister who was working on the early part of our geneology. This helped her a lot and filled in some cracks.

One time I was at the Washington State Library in Tacoma and found a list of names of people who were in the military. One of them showed two military men who lived next door to each other in Virginia. There is a small possibility that the two became related through marriage but we are not sure. I have never been back to view the book.

Sometimes you can find certain family names in books in libraries. These are all within the geneology section of the library.

I would go to a local LDS library but would not depend on it fully as completely true. This would just help you get started. Shows dates of birth who parents are siblings, marriage, children where lived and died. Getting marriage, death, birth certificates for proof are best to obtain. This can be spendy but you do get the true family history instead of manipulation to become related to some famous person.

Writing to the town where the person was suposed to have been born, married, died, purchased property helps.

If there was anyone in the family who were in the military helps with looking for ancestors. This can also be found in the library.

Hope this helps some.

Emma

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2008, 07:16:03 PM »

Interesting to read. . .  Here in Iceland we have quite different possibilities. Every citizen can register to use a genealogical net which shows his ancestry and all of his relatives back to about 1500 or 1600. There I can find all of my father's ancestors and relatives, but not my mother's because she was Danish and there are no records of her ancestors. I can figure out how closely related I am to any other citizen, and most Icelanders are related no further back than 8 or 9 generations.

A couple of months ago we had a gathering of relatives, offspring of my grandparents. About 150 came for the gathering, where I happened to be the main speaker. I discovered a number of relatives I had never heard of before. We all decided to have more such gatherings in the future.

Johann,  my grandfather's family were Danish and we have some records going back to 1609 - of course they would not be automatically available in your country though.  Who knows, we might have some forbears in common  :)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 06:12:10 AM »

I have been rolling this over in my mind and wonder if I went to some LDS Mormon archive genealogy research center if I would get contacts to certain documents. Especially about ships setting sail for America and their passenger lists. It seems such a mammoth undertaking to get the ball rolling. I have such little to go on as to my ancestry search. I just have this strong curiosity of where they lived, what for jobs they had and if they were all members of the RCC over there in Europe. My aunts, uncles, parents, siblings, grand and great-grandparents are all dead. It seems I should have started earlier in asking questions. My three living cousins are all moved away from the places I knew of and live somewhere in Texas, New Jersey but I don't know where. Remarriage has change their names so I can easily find them through a search.

Oh, well, it was nice reading your account, Bonnie with your suggestions. I am glad you were able to for yourself find some relatives of the past. I like identity that comes from seeing how DNA produces interesting people.

There are places locally in most area's where you can research the Mormon records. They have miles of records on microfilm. Using what they have locally is free, or at least is here.
Sometimes they did not have in their files what I was looking for then it would be ordered. I think the fee was something like 3.00 One name and one location is enough to get started.
It seems really daunting, but when you get that first sucess, you are hooked
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up