Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You can find an active Save 3ABN website at http://www.Save-3ABN.com.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Genealogy  (Read 20477 times)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
Genealogy
« on: May 18, 2008, 05:51:12 AM »

Anyone ever take the time to explore where some family traditions originated? Genealogy research can become almost addicting. What may have had a role in shaping who you are? My mother was adopted following the death of her mother from the flu outbreak of 1918. She had so many questions and it was so much fun and intriguing to put so many pieces of the puzzle together for her.

Finding the close family connections to so many names in the history books as Ulysses grant etc

Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Emma

Re: Genealogy
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 01:38:08 PM »

I am blessed to have a sister-in-law and a cousin who have done a lot of genealogical research for our family.  ( My s-i-l's own sister has researched their own family).

One of the most fascinating things has been to find we are descended from convicts!  That may sound strange to nonAussies, and it is probably why my grandfather would never talk about his origins.   But his mother was the daughter of two petty thieves who were transported to Tasmania from the old country - my greatgrandmother was born in Launceston, Tasmania in 1846.  Since we in this country have become more interested in our national traditions, it is quite socially acceptable to claim this sort of ancestry ;D

Another ancestor I was pleased to hear about is a Danish lady who was a village midwife who earned a medal from the local governor for her 'labours'.  I like to think I am carrying on her tradition in my own profession.

I agree Bonnie, it is indeed very interesting.

Fran

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 02:17:14 PM »

Yep!  Yep!  I am addicted.  Have been for many years!  I hope they never find the cure!  If they do find a cure, don't tell them who/where I am, OK?   :dunno:

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 03:17:03 PM »

Yep!  Yep!  I am addicted.  Have been for many years!  I hope they never find the cure!  If they do find a cure, don't tell them who/where I am, OK?   :dunno:

It is addicting, that is for sure. I am constantly amazed at the little pieces of family history perserved down thru the years. Ours began with little or no information. My grnadparents had left MN after after their marriage and ended in Baker, Mt. Due to the times, there was not much contact and then my grandmother died there so it was pretty sketchy. But a great deal to be found
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 03:20:34 PM »

I am blessed to have a sister-in-law and a cousin who have done a lot of genealogical research for our family.  ( My s-i-l's own sister has researched their own family).

One of the most fascinating things has been to find we are descended from convicts!  That may sound strange to nonAussies, and it is probably why my grandfather would never talk about his origins.   But his mother was the daughter of two petty thieves who were transported to Tasmania from the old country - my greatgrandmother was born in Launceston, Tasmania in 1846.  Since we in this country have become more interested in our national traditions, it is quite socially acceptable to claim this sort of ancestry ;D

Another ancestor I was pleased to hear about is a Danish lady who was a village midwife who earned a medal from the local governor for her 'labours'.  I like to think I am carrying on her tradition in my own profession.

I agree Bonnie, it is indeed very interesting.

Doesn't sound strange to this non-aussie. My mother was mortified do learn her dad shot a man for cheating at cards.
MT was still pretty wild in 1915 and seems they took care of their own problems. My grandfather was a gambler as well as a rancher.
He caught the guy he was playing cards with cheating, So what else could he do?? Shot him in the side and he did recover. Bet he thought twice about cheating the next time. :ROFL: Mom was so happy to learn he had not died
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 03:38:08 PM by bonnie »

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 03:46:45 PM »

The toughness of those in that generation that left everything and came over here is incredible.
The adversity they faced and never missed a beat. Today we would be whining and refuse to face another day.

We used to make up stories about our grandmother based on the picture I have enclosed. Just silly kids. This was the one picture my mother was given when she finally found her brother in 1933.
To us she was a real life Annie Oakley. When I took mom to MT to her birthplace, we were able to visit with those that had known her. One man,98 years old, clear as a bell,had been one of her pallbearers.

My grandmother's days many times consisted of riding the range all day with two small children. My mom a baby, and her brother 3 years old on a pony tied to his mother's horse. The way she is dressed was typical garb for her, complete with the gun. It was said she was a crack shot. She needed the guns for snakes,both crawling and the two legged variety. No one doubted she would use it.
And we worry about a little gas price increase.

It was so interesting to learn the personal things about her parents.  My siblings and I grew up hearing when times got tough, "Stand Fast Never Waver". When in MT we learned that was carved in a sign that hung over the door to the ranch house. My mother must have heard this as a child and remembered without knowing where the memory came from
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 03:50:36 PM by bonnie »

Ozzie

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 03:51:03 PM »

I don't want to know if there is a cure either, coz I LOVE this addiction.  :purr:

Right at this moment, our eldest daughter, son in law, and one of our son's daughters are in Germany, in the very town my husband's great grand father was born. They are spending time in libraries and other places today, doing more research. I just read about it on their blog.

They're a bit impatient with me, coz I didn't have a lot more definitive information ready for them, before they left for Europe, but hey! I've spent years researching my side of the family and some of my husband's, so it's about time that the younger ones gave me a hand.
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.

WillowRun

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 04:36:08 PM »

I am a geneaology addict too.  I think it's a great way to study history.  Makes it come alive to realize what your ancestors were doing in 1874 or earlier......

Respectfully,

Willow

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 04:39:52 PM »

I am a geneaology addict too.  I think it's a great way to study history.  Makes it come alive to realize what your ancestors were doing in 1874 or earlier......

OHHHHHHH and what some of mine were doing :ROFL:

Emma

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 10:40:25 PM »

Is it very naughty to say how interesting it is, the difference in pregnancy length between the first and the later children? :oops:

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 11:04:25 PM »

Is it very naughty to say how interesting it is, the difference in pregnancy length between the first and the later children? :oops:

There were a lot of babies that "came early" in those years :ROFL:. What I was so surprised at is the fact so many of my ancestors,others to of course,but they were the ones I followed, that had mistresses. Not only that the wife knew and it was okay as long as they were kept away from the town. My mother's family came to Canada from Scotland, and didn't really find that to be true in the states as much. The illegitimate children were even acknowledged in the will and left a portion of the estate.

Ozzie

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 11:20:59 PM »

It was working on genealogy that got me into so much strife with my mother-in-law, and I was never forgiven for doing that research. I got various birth, death and marriage certificates, and genealogists do, and came up with her husband's birth certificate (my husband's father) and then the marriage certificate for his parents and found that it only took 5 months for the twins to arrive.

Mother had hidden that information from her husband all those years, to the extent of hiding his parent's marriage certificate, so that he never ever knew (oh, such a disgrace), and I unearthed the information and had the audacity to find it and even enter the dates into a computer file, so that others could see. SHAME! SHAME on me!
:oops: :rabbit:

That was only one of my 'cardinal sins'!
Ozzie

~ Frank Sculley.

Emma

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 11:38:28 PM »

Absolutely for shame, Ozzie!!!!  With your medical background you should be well aware that twins very often arrive early :ROFL:

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 11:43:04 PM »

Ozzie,

You should have seen my mother's reaction when some of her relatives surfaced. Thought I would have to call the paramedics.

When she found out the very close relation to Aneheuser-Busch brewery it was almost more than she could take. She didn't want anyone to know. Here in the states that one is well known and a biggy

Ozzie

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 12:04:17 AM »

Absolutely for shame, Ozzie!!!!  With your medical background you should be well aware that twins very often arrive early :ROFL:

Yes but... with that medical knowledge, I also realise that 24 week twin premmies would not have had too much of a chance to thrive back in 1899!  :oops: (done it again!)
Ozzie

~ Frank Sculley.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up