Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Go and check out the Christians Discuss Forum for committed Christians at  http://www.christians-discuss.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: In the Beginning  (Read 30483 times)

Fair Havens

In the Beginning
« on: January 28, 2008, 07:42:21 PM »

John begins his gospel by stating "In the Beginning" what is this beginning? Is it the beginning of ...God ? But God can't have a beginning can He? Can He have a beginning and still be God? A beginning implies an ending but God cannot end because he is eternal and if eternal could not possibly have had a beginning. What is the beginning referred to here? Is it the beginning of creation, then? Is this beginning the same as which Moses refers to when he states "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth [Gen 1:1] ?

Somebody, anybody, help me out here, please.

Johann

Re: In the Beginning
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 10:36:27 PM »

A very good question, Fair Heavens. Scripture is the history of how God deals with man, and that history has a beginning, even if God does not. Genesis tells us how the creative power of God worked in the beginning of our world. John 1 tells us that our God, the one who spoke the powerful word which created this world, entered the same world and combined his divinity with our humanity in order to save all those who believe in Him, and give us back the eternal life man had in the beginning.

So there is a new beginning for every human being who hears His Word, and accepts it by faith. When you thank Him in your sincere prayer for this gift, it is yours, and he gives you the faith you need, and willingness to let Him guide you into His truth as a Christian, as His child, redeemed from sin to live a completely new life. That is your new beginnng.

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 09:40:11 PM »

"A beginning implies an ending..."

Why?

Gailon Arthur Joy

Fair Havens

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 05:51:27 AM »

Why?

Whatever has a start point has an end point. Something that is self-generated and is self-sustained can continue its existence but a thing created has a beginning and therefore can be brought to an
end. Even this created universe and our world -the Earth - will come to an end. Says Peter:

2 Peter 3:10   But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in               
                                                        the which the heavens shall pass away with a great   
                                                        noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, and 
                                                        the earth also
and the works that are therein shall be                                                                                          burned up.
                                                  11   Seeing that all these things shall be dissolved... .

God, in contrast, declares I AM . He IS.

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 06:03:21 AM »

A beginning though doesnt necessarily mean an ending, as will be in the case of a new heaven and a new earth.

Johann

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 06:17:17 AM »

A beginning though doesnt necessarily mean an ending, as will be in the case of a new heaven and a new earth.

What does "new" imply in Scripture? With God's sustaining power what is untainted by sin does not deteriorate. Therefore it remains "new" forever. A heaven where sin has not reached remains new.

Even a beginning remains new when God's creative power is present.

Siriss

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 02:46:15 PM »

Just something to think about. 

Take out a piece of paper and a pencil.  Put the pencil down on the paper--anywhere on the paper.  Now, with a circular motion of the wrist, draw a circle.  Lift your pencil from the paper and observe:  where there once was a beginning there was also an end, but neither the beginning nor the end are henceforth discernable.  The beginning and the end are reconciled one to the other and the circle is complete. 

WillowRun

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 09:17:52 PM »

We were created as linear beings.  God sees the beginning from the end because He is on the outside of linear time.  I can't wait to experience the eternal presence of God.  I hope I am counted among the worthy.

Respectfully,

Willow
Respectfully,

Willow

inga

• The Sabbath School Network
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 10:49:18 PM »

John begins his gospel by stating "In the Beginning" what is this beginning?
I have always read this passage to mean that "in the beginning" (whatever 'beginning' we choose to think of), God was already in existence. (Since we are finite, we cannot comprehend the infinite God.)

The text says nothing about the beginning of God -- just that God was there "in the beginning."
Visit http://ssnet.org The Sabbath School Network to see our new look and much more content. And leave us a message. :)

Johann

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 04:59:58 PM »

And there will be an end to the history of the present sinful world, but God will still be there. That is our hope and comfort!

Hakim

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 11:46:41 AM »

Willow Run,

We were created as linear beings.  God sees the beginning from the end because He is on the outside of linear time.

I take it from this that you are interested in the concept of the eternity of God. Anyone who is interested in doctrine will much enjoy a book from the ABC, Handbook of Seventh-day Adventist Theology.  On page 109 of this book is a discussion of God's time. Hear Dr. Canale makes some interesting statements:

It is only through Greek philosophy that "Eternity is the total absence of time and anything related to time."
"The eternity of God is not alien to our time.  God's time is, however, qualitatively different from our time, not in that it denies time but in that it both integrates and surpasses it."
"Paul tells us that the plan of salvation was decided 'before the foundation of the world.' (Eph. 1:4) ... Paul's statement that the plan of salvation was 'hidden for ages in God who created all things' (Eph. 3:9) points to past eternity as involving time as a characteristic of God's eternity."
"To try to define God's time would clearly be a speculative attempt . . . . here silence is eloquence."

The discussion gets pretty deep, and a person has to be careful here. I thought it was interesting. To put it all into one sentence, Dr. Canale would say that, "God has a history."
------------------------------------
Hubert F. Sturges

Johann

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 10:38:52 PM »

And the Bible is THE history of God dealing with HIS people - is that right?

The Bible (Rev) speaks of when time shall be no more. Does that only deal with prophetic time, or could that have a greater meaning?

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 09:32:23 PM »

Why?

Whatever has a start point has an end point. Something that is self-generated and is self-sustained can continue its existence but a thing created has a beginning and therefore can be brought to an
end. Even this created universe and our world -the Earth - will come to an end. Says Peter:

2 Peter 3:10   But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in               
                                                        the which the heavens shall pass away with a great   
                                                        noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, and 
                                                        the earth also
and the works that are therein shall be                                                                                          burned up.
                                                  11   Seeing that all these things shall be dissolved... .

God, in contrast, declares I AM . He IS.

I just heard Jack Van Pelt present an argument that the Bible teaches the Earth shall never be destroyed and this quickly lead to a premise that the millenium was a thousand year rule by Christ on this earth, therefore we will be here until at least 3012!!! Now, is that a classic example of "Peace, Peace" and a dead ringer setup for the coming of the Anti-Christ that Mrs White so clearly defines in The Great Controversy???

It is just the tip of the great deception, but certainly heralds loudly just where we are in earths history and the duty we have to proclaim the truth to a deceived and dying world.

Gailon Arthur Joy

Hakim

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 10:28:21 PM »

This is a  tongue-in-cheek reply:

"We were created as linear beings."

If this is true, why do I keep going in circles?
Hakim

Johann

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 02:26:09 AM »

I take it from this that you are interested in the concept of the eternity of God. Anyone who is interested in doctrine will much enjoy a book from the ABC, Handbook of Seventh-day Adventist Theology.  On page 109 of this book is a discussion of God's time. Hear Dr. Canale makes some interesting statements:

It is only through Greek philosophy that "Eternity is the total absence of time and anything related to time."
"The eternity of God is not alien to our time.  God's time is, however, qualitatively different from our time, not in that it denies time but in that it both integrates and surpasses it."
"Paul tells us that the plan of salvation was decided 'before the foundation of the world.' (Eph. 1:4) ... Paul's statement that the plan of salvation was 'hidden for ages in God who created all things' (Eph. 3:9) points to past eternity as involving time as a characteristic of God's eternity."
"To try to define God's time would clearly be a speculative attempt . . . . here silence is eloquence."

The discussion gets pretty deep, and a person has to be careful here. I thought it was interesting. To put it all into one sentence, Dr. Canale would say that, "God has a history."
------------------------------------
Hubert F. Sturges

My copy of that excellent book is still stored in a box since our last move. Glad you bring some nuggets from it.  :TY:

We could discuss many interesting aspects of time. God deals with man in time - and in the history of this world. But how do we deal with time outside of our own planet? No other planet in our own solar system has a 24-hour day, nor a 365-day year, so time is quite different when we get outside the reach of our own planet, earth. I believe it was one of the contributors to that book, Dr. Dederen, I once heard state that the celebration of a 24-hour Sabbath Day is limited to our planet. The reason being that a day is measured differently in different parts of the universe. Will the measurement of time in different cycles influence our concept of time?

I am satisfied that God became man and dealt with me in the time and history of this world. Sin only exists within the time frame of our planet, and therefore it would not surprise me if our whole concept of time will be expanded as we leave the tarnished realm of sin behind. But I hesitate measuring this out as linear or circular time. I do not have the scientific background to see it in such concepts. Or is there any truth in relativity claiming that if you board a rocket traveling faster than light, you can take off from earth today and come back yesterday? If God is almighty, can He do that? That is beyond human understanding, but with God all things are possible . . . ?

What I need to know is that God is capable of taking care of me,  and cover me in His robe of righteousness.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up