Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Faced With A Physical Handicap  (Read 12510 times)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
Faced With A Physical Handicap
« on: June 08, 2008, 03:49:20 PM »

How many know someone, really know, a totally blind person. I met one such lady at my Dr's office about a year ago. We have since become friends. I do many custom sewing orders for her.
I think she sees more than a sighted person. She has raised three children, goes around her house better than I do mine.
She has been blind since birth but can tell me exactly what she wants. I did some door stops for her with embroidered birds. When I delivered them to her, she could tell which was the cardinal,humming birs or robin. She is remarkable. She has such a zest for life and is always smiling. I try to iimagine being blind  and I think I would not be such a happy camper as she is
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Emma

Re: Faced With A Physical Handicap
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 05:03:26 PM »

I guess people who are blind from birth learn to rely on their other senses a lot more than sighted people do.  This lady seems to have her glass "half full" and not "half empty", she obviously makes the best of everything she has rather than bemoaning what she cannot have.

She must be an inspiration and a blessing to you Bonnie, as I am sure you are a blessing to her.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 05:19:10 PM »

I guess people who are blind from birth learn to rely on their other senses a lot more than sighted people do.  This lady seems to have her glass "half full" and not "half empty", she obviously makes the best of everything she has rather than bemoaning what she cannot have.

She must be an inspiration and a blessing to you Bonnie, as I am sure you are a blessing to her.

I think her glass is overflowing. She has become one of my favorite people to be around. She gets so excited about such small things that she makes everything I do for her  fun.

She is busy e-mailing all her friends with the new skirt she designed and wants everyone to see it. She is like a kid at christmas.
She is so resourceful at doing for herself. She has an identical twin that is also blind since birth. Premature and their sight was damaged because of the oxygen. Neither of these gals it seems ever thought that they were handicapped in any way. Jane's seeing eye dog is another wonder. The dog is mostly human I swear.

She is so busy and always on the go. Definitely does not give the appearance of being handicapped at all. I think about the only thing she cannot do or hasn't tried is driving.
It is amazing to be around her

Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Ozzie

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 10:35:56 PM »

I think her glass is overflowing. She has become one of my favorite people to be around. She gets so excited about such small things that she makes everything I do for her  fun.

She is busy e-mailing all her friends with the new skirt she designed and wants everyone to see it. She is like a kid at christmas.
She is so resourceful at doing for herself. She has an identical twin that is also blind since birth. Premature and their sight was damaged because of the oxygen. Neither of these gals it seems ever thought that they were handicapped in any way. Jane's seeing eye dog is another wonder. The dog is mostly human I swear.

She is so busy and always on the go. Definitely does not give the appearance of being handicapped at all. I think about the only thing she cannot do or hasn't tried is driving.
It is amazing to be around her

What a woman! What a role model! You are fortunate to know her Bonnie and share in her life. I love that when people focus on what they can do and seldom mention what they can't do. It gives a totally different perspective to life.
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 05:58:43 AM »

OOPS, I said she hasn't tried driving yet. She corrected me last night. Before she and her husband gave thier consent
for her daughter's fiance to marry,he had to take her driving. Letting her drive without his hands on the wheel,just directing her

Johann

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 02:24:06 PM »

How many know someone, really know, a totally blind person. I met one such lady at my Dr's office about a year ago. We have since become friends. I do many custom sewing orders for her.
I think she sees more than a sighted person. She has raised three children, goes around her house better than I do mine.
She has been blind since birth but can tell me exactly what she wants. I did some door stops for her with embroidered birds. When I delivered them to her, she could tell which was the cardinal,humming birs or robin. She is remarkable. She has such a zest for life and is always smiling. I try to iimagine being blind  and I think I would not be such a happy camper as she is

Quite a story. We know how it is because we have a 17-year old granddaughter who was born blind. She attend.s a regular school. She enjoys writing e-mails from her special computer which helps her read books. It is a different world.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 02:35:25 PM »

Quite a story. We know how it is because we have a 17-year old granddaughter who was born blind. She attend.s a regular school. She enjoys writing e-mails from her special computer which helps her read books. It is a different world.

I have to keep reminding myself not to help her. When I am with her my instinct is to make sure she doesn't get hurt and then as I realize she is ahead of me I feel rather foolish.

We have neighbors that are totally deaf  She just boggled my mind when she said,"I feel so sorry for those that can't hear"
So between the two I feel pretty fortunate

Emma

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 05:26:55 PM »

Selective deafness can have its advantages  :D.

My mother was deaf in one ear because someone let off a firecracker close to her right ear in childhood, virtually destroying the hearing on that side.  While it had its problems, she could always sleep 'with her deaf ear up' and ignore any extraneous noise.

With your neighbour, Bonnie, she obviously does not see  it as a handicap.   Knowing two such positive women must be a source of great joy for you.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 05:53:50 PM »

I have extra sensitive hearing and have my sight and often feel more handicapped than they seem to.
I do get a chuckle tho watching the deaf couple when they get in an argument. The hands are flying so fast I couldn't keep up with it. Marilyn is so funny, when she gets tired of listening(as she calls it) to her husband when is upset with her, she turns her back and just grins

Naja

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 04:21:54 AM »

For a number of years i worked in a medical facility where John and Mike worked as physiotherapists. They were both blind from birth. John had married a seeing woman and had two elementary school kids at that time. I would babysit for them on occasions so the two could go out to some social event. Mike had married a blind woman and at that time they had a year old baby. Mike also had private practice open in his home three days a week in the afternoon. I was asked to come on those afternoons (I always had early shift) to take the seeing-eye dog of his out for a run for some free-land exercise. I'd take him mostly onto the beach by the sea. I was asked not to allow him to go into the water because he'd come out all smelly after drying off.
The point of the problem was the urges in Golden Retriever, Meeko, that caused him to shiver with the yearning to jump into the water and go swim at some object and bring it back. The lesson that our Lord taught me through that dog was what true obedience means. Always staring at me, always reading my body language, always being attentive to what I wanted got to be almost unnerving in an uncanny way. If I had given just one nudge for him to jump into the water he would have. But his training was for total obedience and he went at my pace and ran after the stick I threw just along the sand shore.
As I was leaving employment my last walk with Meeko allowed me to throw the stick into the ocean and was he ever glad! Such a fine swimmer. Such a great retriever! Such a unbelievable experience being with a creature of God who lived for total obedience. Whose only wish was to please, whose only thoughts were on being a help to his master.

Pages: [1]   Go Up