Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Couscous Salad With Spinach And Lemon Chive Dressing  (Read 4945 times)

Sister

• Veteran Member
Couscous Salad With Spinach And Lemon Chive Dressing
« on: July 01, 2008, 04:20:54 PM »

Couscous Salad With Spinach And Lemon Chive Dressing

(original recipe from the New York Times)

Time: 15 minutes

1 cup medium-grain instant couscous

1 teaspoon salt

1-2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

2 cups loosely packed parsley leaves

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

3 spring onions or scallions, trimmed and cut into very thin rings

5 ounces fresh spinach leaves, cut into a chiffonade (4 cups, loosely packed)

3 tablespoons creamy lemon-chive dressing (see recipe), or as needed.

1. Combine couscous and salt in large shallow bowl. Toss with fork to blend. Add 1-1/3 cups of hottest possible tap water, and fluff until grains are separated. Set aside and occasionally fluff until all liquid has been absorbed, about 3 minutes.

2. Combine lemon juice, parsley leaves and olive oil in food processor or blender. Process until parsley is finely chopped, then toss with couscous and spring onions. (May be prepared and refrigerated for up to 8 hours.)

3. To serve, toss spinach chiffonade with just enough dressing to evenly coat. Add to couscous mixture and toss gently until blended.

Yield:  6-8 servings

Recipe: Creamy Lemon-Chive Dressing

Time: 5 minutes

2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 teaspoonsalt, or as needed
1 cup unsweetened soy creamer or any light cream
1/3 cup finely minced chives.

1. Put lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon salt in small jar, cover and shake to dissolve salt.

2. Add cream and chives. Shake to blend. Adjust salt to taste. Store, covered and refrigerated, for up to 1 week. Shake to blend before using.

Yield: 1 1/4 cups.

Emma

Re: Couscous Salad With Spinach And Lemon Chive Dressing
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 11:23:02 PM »

Do you know what Tabbouli is?    Just wondering if this is a variety of that salad/dish.  Sometimes what things get called this side of the Pacific is not what you guys on the other side know them as.

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 02:50:12 AM »

Do you know what Tabbouli is?    Just wondering if this is a variety of that salad/dish.  Sometimes what things get called this side of the Pacific is not what you guys on the other side know them as.

Yes, but Tabbouli is a middle eastern dish traditionally made with bulger wheat, tomatoes and no cream in the salad dressing or spinach. In a way you could say this is a similar type of couscous salad, but very different in taste and texture. Something nice for in the summer months.

Emma, is it winter down under?

Emma

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 10:57:14 AM »

Yes very much winter , the first 2 weeks of July are usually the coldest of the year.   Of course all things are relative, where I live the day temperature maximun has been 18-20 degrees Celsius which other places may have trouble recognising as winter LOL.    I had to get a little ice of my car windshield earlier this week, but that is the only time so far this year.     :australia:

And thank you for explaining the difference, I enjoy tabbouli  and a similar dish with more lemon juice from Turkey.

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 12:50:45 PM »

Emma, it sounds great for winter! I am not a lover of cold weather. Here is a recipe for Tabouli Salad, probably more what you are used to eating:

Tabouli

1 cup of bulghur wheat
1 1/2 C boiling water
juice of 2 lemons
1/4 cup olive oil, preferably extra virgin
1 tablespoon or more of chopped fresh mint
about 6 or 7 Roma tomatoes, diced
1 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
Salt to taste

Pour boiling water over the bulghur wheat, cover and let sit until all the water is absorved and the bulghur is room temperature.  Add all the other ingredients and refergerate.

Serves 6

This is really nice for Sabbath with some Hummus, olives and wedges of Pita bread for a summer picnick.

Emma

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 03:16:30 AM »

Yes I think it is great for winter too!    And thank you for that recipe, I will put it to use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up