Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who are the 'poor'?  (Read 9957 times)

reddogs

Who are the 'poor'?
« on: July 18, 2008, 06:41:41 AM »

Who are the 'poor'?

I have gone into this topic before from the standpoint of offerings and tithing and looking at the example of the family with nothing that gave and how we should be cheerful in giving them.

In this thread, I am asking, who really are the poor? That family never felt itself to be poor in any way, in fact they felt rich in Gods love and blessings and never felt they had any needs that God could not provide.

Well on vacation, I came across something that made me question who are the poor. Some of the friends that went with us took us to some of their relatives that lived way back in the hills. We stayed in a clean nice concrete house with no frills where the water came on only during the day and air conditioning was by nature. On Sabbath morning we went over to see another relative, whose house was much 'poorer' by my estimate, it was a wooden shack basically and had a tin roof with tiny rooms and bare light bulbs and gas stove. They cooked us 'mofongo' which is fried plantain bannana balls with eggs and juice all from their back yard garden. They treated us a family and had no feeling or sense of being 'poor'. They then got their Sabbath School lesson and prepared for church as any Adventist would, happy to have shared with us what food and fellowship they provided.

Were they 'poor', maybe from my perspective, but from theirs, they felt very rich in the love of Christ and Gods blessings...

So who truly are the 'poor'...?

And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also...... 
Pages: [1]   Go Up