Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: 3ABN exonerated by IRS investigation  (Read 87334 times)

reddogs

3ABN exonerated by IRS investigation
« on: July 28, 2008, 11:45:12 AM »

I just got the following from a fellow church member, does this mean the investigations are over...

"..Subject: 3ABN exonerated by IRS investigation
This is a statement issued by Doug Bachelor regarding the
IRS investigation of 3ABN.

"I spoke with Jim Gilley at the Amazing Facts office
this week and he shared that the IRS has ended it's
audit of both 3ABN and Danny Shelton's finances.

The federal auditors called 3ABN's lawyers and ask
them what 3ABN wanted them to do with the thousands of
pages of documents they had collected as they were closing
the case! They said they could return the documents or
destroy them.

THE VERDICT... Not one infraction, not one discrepancy,
not one fine!< /div>

Evidently, all the nasty internet rumors 3ABN’s enemies
manufactured influenced the feds to investigate. They
figured that where there was smoke there must be fire but
they discovered it was all smoke.

People can be reassured that their donations to 3ABN have
always been, and are still going into expanding God’s
kingdom. Karen and I never stopped supporting them.

Please feel free to share this with you friend s and
perhaps it will help to reestablish confidence in this
great ministry and undo some of the damage caused by the
smear campaign.

Regards,

Pastor Doug Batchelor ..."

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
Re: 3ABN exonerated by IRS investigation
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 12:18:23 PM »

No, it doesn't mean that at all. While it could be over it very well might not be over.

Gerald Duffy came out with a letter last Friday in which he makes pretty clear that the IRS has not said that the investigation is over. Rather, since the IRS allegedly asked whether 3ABN wanted documents returned or destroyed, 3ABN and company are assuming that the investigation is over.

Duffy also makes clear that the timeframe for the documents in question is 2000 to 2006, thus excluding the 1998 real estate deal.

Moreover, for Doug to assert that there was no infraction or discrepancy suggests that he thinks that the IRS will not consider to be an infraction or a discrepancy the cash receipting of a donation of property. But I highly doubt that either the IRS or the Amazing Facts business office will agree with him on that one.

If you don't believe me, call up Amazing Facts' business office and offer to donate a $5000 car or horse or whatever on condition that they give you a $20,000 cash receipt that you can then deduct off your taxes. I am certain that the AF business office will tell you that there is no way they are going to do that. And you can call up the IRS and they will confirm that such a maneuver is either an infraction or discrepancy.

reddogs

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 12:51:04 PM »

Here is a link to the lawyers letter...

http://www.3abntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11

Cindy

• Veteran Member
  • "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good"
    • 3A Talk Forum
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 01:00:43 PM »

And here is more:
http://www.3abntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2&p=40#p40

Read it and weep, I did.

Tears of Joy. :) Praise the Lord.

Serendipity

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 01:21:18 PM »

No, it doesn't mean that at all. While it could be over it very well might not be over.

Gerald Duffy came out with a letter last Friday in which he makes pretty clear that the IRS has not said that the investigation is over. Rather, since the IRS allegedly asked whether 3ABN wanted documents returned or destroyed, 3ABN and company are assuming that the investigation is over.

Jim Gilley say:

Those agents that came here were dedicated people. They were good people. They were very efficient people. They went through... we supplied them with.. and they took off of our premises over a 100,000 documents. Now that includes documents... our documents and documents of people who we have done business with... They went through all of these with a fine tooth comb and after nine months of investigation they recently called, and said; "what do you want us to do with the documents?" And they said "Do you want us to destroy them or return them?"

Now when they call you like that, that means the investigation is over. And then our attorneys called with the very good news that the investigation was now complete. it was over....That is right. We were found to not have any adjustments which needed to be made. There were no penalties put upon us, nor on Danny Shelton. We were all found to be totally square and above board.

Now that's no surprise to us. Larry Ewing was our head accountant, and a more careful man I have never known, but we praise God for this because now we can get right back into what we do best, and that is spreading the three angels messages.

Sera

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 01:28:48 PM »

Is that really what Elder Gilley said??  I didn't see it, so I would love to see a clip.  But is that really what all this hoopla is about??  What if the IRS just finished LOOKING at the documents and GLEANING all the interesting tidbits of info they needed to make their case?  How come no one from the IRS is quoted as saying "OUR INVESTIGATION IS OVER"!!  You all have been touting the existence of just such a letter for a while now, but we have not seen it yet.  And now everyone is excited because the IRS wants to know how 3ABN wants their documents disposed of??  Yes, I can see why you would weep Ian!!

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

"They went through all of these with a fine tooth comb and after nine months of investigation they recently called, and said; "what do you want us to do with the documents?" And they said "Do you want us to destroy them or return them?"   Now when they call you like that, that means the investigation is over."

And here is more:

Read it and weep, I did.

reddogs

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 01:36:42 PM »

Is that really what Elder Gilley said??  I didn't see it, so I would love to see a clip.  But is that really what all this hoopla is about??  What if the IRS just finished LOOKING at the documents and GLEANING all the interesting tidbits of info they needed to make their case?  How come no one from the IRS is quoted as saying "OUR INVESTIGATION IS OVER"!!  You all have been touting the existence of just such a letter for a while now, but we have not seen it yet.  And now everyone is excited because the IRS wants to know how 3ABN wants their documents disposed of??  Yes, I can see why you would weep Ian!!

"They went through all of these with a fine tooth comb and after nine months of investigation they recently called, and said; "what do you want us to do with the documents?" And they said "Do you want us to destroy them or return them?"   Now when they call you like that, that means the investigation is over."

And here is more:

Read it and weep, I did.

Snoop, be nice......

Jack Indabocks

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 01:40:20 PM »

Let us consider this rationally, and as you would like to have it.

The IRS takes this to the grand jury asking for an indictment of both Danny Shelton and 3ABN. They are asked for their evidence against them and answer *we destroyed it* ?

And here is more:

Read it and weep, I did.

[/quote]

Sam

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 01:50:47 PM »

I just got the following from a fellow church member, does this mean the investigations are over...

"..Subject: 3ABN exonerated by IRS investigation
This is a statement issued by Doug Bachelor regarding the
IRS investigation of 3ABN.

"I spoke with Jim Gilley at the Amazing Facts office
this week and he shared that the IRS has ended it's
audit of both 3ABN and Danny Shelton's finances.

The federal auditors called 3ABN's lawyers and ask
them what 3ABN wanted them to do with the thousands of
pages of documents they had collected as they were closing
the case! They said they could return the documents or
destroy them.

THE VERDICT... Not one infraction, not one discrepancy,
not one fine!< /div>

Evidently, all the nasty internet rumors 3ABN’s enemies
manufactured influenced the feds to investigate. They
figured that where there was smoke there must be fire but
they discovered it was all smoke.

People can be reassured that their donations to 3ABN have
always been, and are still going into expanding God’s
kingdom. Karen and I never stopped supporting them.

Please feel free to share this with you friend s and
perhaps it will help to reestablish confidence in this
great ministry and undo some of the damage caused by the
smear campaign.

Regards,

Pastor Doug Batchelor ..."

Yes it certainly does.  The only people unwilling to accept it is the little handful here that are only making themselves look foolish.  We have:

Word from a family member several weeks ago,
An announcement on a 3abn Live,
An email from DB as he was told the news from Jim G.,
And now, an official letter from the 3abn attorney that handled the IRS case.

Now think about it.  If this investigation was not over and 3abn is announcing that it is on the air and their website, and, all of the 3abn defenders are putting it on the web, don't you think the IRS would have intervened by now and threw one big fit?  You better believe they would. As soon as they got wind of the 3abn attorney's letter they would have been on the phone to him PRONTO!  They haven't made any moves because IT IS TRUE.  People, try to use some reasoning here.  Give it up and be glad you were wrong.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 02:03:13 PM »

Sam, seems like you are the one that is refusing to use some reasoning.

Ronnie said that there was no infraction or discrepancy. He was dead wrong, and you know it.

Call up AF's business office, and I guarantee you that they will tell you that they can't issue a $20,000 cash receipt for a $5000 donation of property.

We have a God-given responsibility to follow the rules, and Danny did not, according to his own statement.

GRAT

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 02:18:39 PM »

Do you really think that 3ABN is the center of the universe??  All the IRS has to do all day is sit around and read web sights about an investigation they did?  Come on, the IRS is not reading this stuff. 

I wish someone could tell me if DB really wrote that email. Has he admitted to writing it?  If he did, he is not the man I thought he was and I have lost a whole lot of respect for him. 

reddogs

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 02:33:41 PM »

Am I missing something or doesnt everyone want 3ABN to be exonerated and clear to go back to its main mission of spreading the truth. To me that would be a good thing for 3ABN and Adventist members, shouldnt everyone be glad about the outcome of this as the whole chapter has been a black eye for the church, the members and 3ABN....

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 02:45:52 PM »

Grat:

I have seen two replies to your question from two folks at AF, and both said that Doug wrote that email.

RedDogs:

It would be wonderful if 3ABN could be exonerated, but God does require confession, repentance, and restitution as conditions for pardon, and we still need to see that. Even if the IRS had totally exonerated 3ABN and Danny, which is impossible in my opinion, there still need to be some apologies over how the Tommy allegations were handled, for divorcing Linda without biblical grounds, for trashing critics over globally televised broadcasts, and such.

I would say that as long as 3ABN and Danny keep the suit going, they are going to be distracted from their mission.

Maxey

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 02:48:20 PM »

Do you really think that 3ABN is the center of the universe??  All the IRS has to do all day is sit around and read web sights about an investigation they did?  Come on, the IRS is not reading this stuff. 

I wish someone could tell me if DB really wrote that email. Has he admitted to writing it?  If he did, he is not the man I thought he was and I have lost a whole lot of respect for him. 

OK, give me some help here.  It seems that there are some pretty compelling statements made by high profile individuals who should know what they are talking about when it comes to the IRS investigation of 3ABN being finished.  I note the absence of Mr. Joy over the last few weeks as a subjective admission that the financial misconduct leg of their defense is gone.

What I find most interesting is the refusal to accept this news and move on.  Were we only going to be happy if 3ABN/Shelton were found out of compliance with the IRS and led shackled to the police cruisers?  Is our hate so overwhelming that we refuse to deal with reality?

Grat, would you really throw Elder Batchelor under the bus just because he didn’t buy into your view of how things should turn out?

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 02:53:46 PM »

Maxey, I think your comments are uncalled for.

The IRS has not released any news that the investigation is over. It's all based on an attorney's interpretation, from what I can tell.

And we are responsible for thinking for ourselves. Claiming a horse to be cash is still a problem, even if the investigation were over.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up