Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tofu and Rice Loaf  (Read 3297 times)

Sister

• Veteran Member
Tofu and Rice Loaf
« on: August 13, 2008, 04:21:21 PM »

Tofu and Rice Loaf
SERVES 10

Ingredients:

1 cup cooked brown rice
2 cups breadcrumbs (grain bread or whole wheat bread)
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 lb firm tofu
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce or regular soy sauce
2 teaspoons stone ground mustard or Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
barbecue sauce or ketchup, for serving

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°F
In a large bowl, combine the brown rice, bread crumbs, walnuts, onion, celery, and carrot.
Puree the tofu in a food processor or mash by hand until very smooth.
Add to the rice mixture along with the barbecue sauce, soy sauce, mustard, and black pepper.
Stir with a large spoon or knead mixture by hand until it is well mixed and holds together, about 1 minute.
Transfer to an oil-sprayed 5- x 9-inch loaf pan (this might bake better in another pan where it is not so thick) or other baking dish and distribute evenly using a spoon, spatula, or your hand.

Top with barbecue sauce or ketchup.
Bake 60 minutes.
Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

© 2008 Recipezaar.

GRAT

Re: Tofu and Rice Loaf
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 02:26:48 PM »

Made this for potluck today except made a few changes.  I doubled the recipe but only had one block of tofu so used Boca Burgers put through the food processor.  Was going to use Morning Star crumbles but they are not vegan.  Without the other tofu it was dry so added some mushroom broth.  Made them into meatballs instead of a loaf and covered them with bbq sauce and cooked them that way.  Oh, I made them Friday and cooked them for 10 min then put them in the pan to cover with sauce.  Don't know if that needed to be done but they stayed together really well.  The BBQ sauce I made from 1 cup ketchup, 1 cup brown sugar and 1 cup water.  Only brought home 3 meatballs.  Will have to try it as written sometime.

Sister

• Veteran Member
Re: Tofu and Rice Loaf
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 06:33:03 PM »

Grat, I am glad this worked out for you! Any recipe is just a starting point and can always be changed. So, you are getting to use those little vegan signs at church.

If you make it again you could substitute your mushroom brooth in the loaf recipe for the barbecue sauce, make them into meatballs again, cover them with a creamy mushroom sauce and have Swedish meatballs. You could use the sauce from the Tofu Mushroom Stroganoff  http://www.adventtalk.com/forums/index.php/topic,993.0.html and leave out the tofu and cut out the salt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up