Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: Doug Bachelor Preaches Against Women Pastors & Elders  (Read 92516 times)

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Doug Bachelor Preaches Against Women Pastors & Elders
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2012, 10:28:09 PM »

Sometimes the group that protests the most loudly against another is in fact the most fundamentally aligned to it in basic principle.

Johann

« Reply #151 on: January 26, 2012, 07:58:17 PM »

The Roman Catholic prohibition against married priests is considered to be a church doctrine which the Pope can change at any time.  The truth of the matter is that there is a history of Rome occasionally allowing married priests. 

1) When I was on the teaching faculty of the U.S. Army Chaplain School, we had a married Roman Catholic priest (formally an Episcapalian) as a student.
2) There is a very small order of Roman Catholic priests in Europe that has been allowed to marry.  But, few know about them.
3) In the beginning stages of the development of the  Roman Catholic Church its priests were often married.  Celebacy came at a later stage.

From Wikipedia - history of the last Catholic Bishop of Iceland
Jón Arason was educated at Munkaþverá, the Benedictine abbey of Iceland, and was ordained a Catholic priest about 1504. Having attracted the notice of Gottskálk Nikulásson, bishop of Hólar, he was sent by that prelate on two missions to Norway. In 1522 he succeeded Gottskálk in the episcopal see of Hólar, but he was soon driven out by the other Icelandic bishop, Ögmundur of Skálholt. Bishop Ögmundur later opposed the imposition of Lutheranism to Iceland, but being old and blind by that time his opposition proved effectively meaningless.

By this point Jón Arason had become known for his great talents if somewhat erratic faith. He fathered numerous children who fought for his causes figuratively and later literally. This was despite the canonical obligation that Catholic bishops are to be celibate, but Iceland was distant enough from Rome in that age for clerical discipline to be very lax.

Robert

« Reply #152 on: January 27, 2012, 12:46:25 PM »

It's very hard not to be biased.  I was an old person that went to college and one thing I learned was I could write a paper using research to prove or disapprove any topic.

No one church, pastor, teacher, or leader should we use as a final authority.  God gave each of us a brain to use and the more we use it the stronger it gets.  We are individually responsible for making the right choice.  In judgement we won't be able to say I followed after him.

We need to be careful who we listen to!!!

Do we have the true picture of God???

Johann

« Reply #153 on: January 27, 2012, 01:04:45 PM »

It's very hard not to be biased.  I was an old person that went to college and one thing I learned was I could write a paper using research to prove or disapprove any topic.

No one church, pastor, teacher, or leader should we use as a final authority.  God gave each of us a brain to use and the more we use it the stronger it gets.  We are individually responsible for making the right choice.  In judgement we won't be able to say I followed after him.

We need to be careful who we listen to!!!

Do we have the true picture of God???

:goodpost:

reddogs

« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2019, 02:32:11 PM »

I know I'm not Adventist, and that I am southern Baptist. However, I would like to add that I have a HUGE problem with women carrying the title Pastor. I do not believe that it is a woman's place to pastor be a deacon or even serve on the church board. 

I further do not believe that God would call any woman to do any of these jobs I have spoken of. So, I would have to agree with Doug Bachelor's analysis.

This is input from a Southern Baptist Minister. :)
The problem is that Adventist have to be able to discern these questions with scripture and not just what we feel, so it gets a bit complicated.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up