Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Sabbath-breaking by another 3ABN Board Member  (Read 52079 times)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
Re: Sabbath-breaking by another 3ABN Board Member
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 03:59:55 PM »

One thing for certain the SDA church is about upholding the Sabbath and its required observance as stated in the 4th Commandment.

Can you explain what you mean by the above quote. What do you mean by upholding the sabbath.
By force,by going in a deliberate search for sin concerning the sabbath to rail against?
Everyone is to keep in the same manner as ....... Fill in the blanks.
Must I keep the sabbath according to your dictates or that of SDA minister? Do you and others go on this deliberate hunt to see who can be banished from the camp??
Do you or SDA minister keep the sabbath perfectly?? If you don't how would you be able to judge others
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

GrandmaNettie

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 04:21:01 PM »

One thing for certain the SDA church is about upholding the Sabbath and its required observance as stated in the 4th Commandment.

However,

1. What is required observance?  There were long lists of Sabbath observance rules back in Jesus' day.... how far one could walk, what one could carry, and so on.  Jesus addressed that misuse of the Sabbath hours quite clearly.  He also got the powers that be pretty upset at Him (in fact so upset with Him they wanted to rid the camp of Him) for healing on the Sabbath.  Let's not forget that He attended a wedding on the Sabbath and turned water into wine.

2. Whose job is it to determine what is proper observance between a man and his God?  Seems to me it is between the man and his God. Do I push my way into your home and tell you how to treat your wife?  No, because that relationship is between the two of you... just as each person's relationship with God is their own business, their own journey in their own time.

Not everyone who is a member of the SDA denomination believes exactly the same, but I think all can agree with what Jesus called the two most important commandments.  I like the way it is presented in Mark 12:28 - 34:

28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?"
 29 "The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' 31The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."

32 "Well said, teacher," the man replied. "You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. 33 To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."

34When Jesus saw that he had answered wisely, he said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God." And from then on no one dared ask him any more questions.

It matters how we treat each other.
??? ?? ??? ?? ????

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 04:48:30 PM »

Yes, it does, however, we are also responsible for the sins of others, especially if another person sins and we say nothing to them about it, which unfortunately is happening way too often.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 04:52:46 PM »

Yes, it does, however, we are also responsible for the sins of others, especially if another person sins and we say nothing to them about it, which unfortunately is happening way too often.

Do you make a practise of approaching everyone you see sin or sin as you see it.
How about making an effort to find as much sin by certain individuals or gropus.
Would anyone have gone actively looking for this sin had it not been 3ABN related
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

GrandmaNettie

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 04:53:24 PM »

This sounds very familiar....lets see it was about someone breaking the Sabbath by picking the wheat as they went through the field........who was that.......

I believe that was Jesus himself, but then bless his heart, he was only living up to the light he had at his time. He didn't have the benefit of the Spirit of Prophecy as written by the Servant of The Lord, nor did he have the end-time truths that we have been given through. We are a special people with a unique message that didn't exist back then. He even ate flesh foods, bless his poor little non-Adventist heart.

Are you inferring, Habanero, that Jesus doesn't categorize people by their denominations?   Oh, that's right... He gave Peter that pesky sheet dream that gave the clear message that all humans are of equal importance to Him.  Even Catholics.  Even sinners.

There may come a time when we will be mandated to choose to follow man or God.  In the meantime, if our focus is on the rules instead of on God and on loving and serving those living around us in this world, we are already following man just as folks were urged to do by the Pharisees.
??? ?? ??? ?? ????

quaddie47

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 04:59:43 PM »

Daryl, SDA Minister's post is about way more than just discussing Sabbath observance.  It is about a person setting themselves up as the judge and jury on issues that many would not consider sin.  Do you  believe eating a Little Debbie is a sin?  Does the quote from EGW make it one?  Does reading literature such as Black Beauty or Heidi constitute a sin in your opinion?

These certainly seem to be sins in the POV of SDA Minister.  (I can't help but wonder if he gives his kids charcoal as well, BTW).  One can only conclude from the OP that  SDA Minister believes he has a greater moral authority to speak about the "sins" of other because he does not eat snack cakes and sees those who do as .....

Well.... I guess only SDA Minister can tell us what he thinks of those of us who eat Little Debbies to give college students jobs to get through school......

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 05:13:36 PM by quaddie47 »

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 05:01:48 PM »

Worldy Associations
I noted this send-in offer for novels on the back of a Little Debbie product at the grocer’s:
“Young readers can experience the wonder of timeless stories from an early age. Each hardbound classic is filled with all the magic and excitement that made the original story a beloved masterpiece. The titles are: Heidi, Tom Sawyer, Black Beauty, The Secret Garden, and Treasure Island.” [Black Beauty is notable in that it is the autobiography of a horse].

Black Beauty is a wonderful story for horse lovers of all ages.

But the SDA church teaches that:
“Novel and storybook reading are the greatest evils in which youth can indulge. Novel and love-story readers always fail to make good, practical mothers. They are air-castle builders, living in an unreal, an imaginary world. They become sentimental and have sick fancies. Their artificial life spoils them for anything useful. They are dwarfed in intellect, although they may flatter themselves that they are superior in mind and manners“. 3T 151

They are air-castle builders, living in an unreal, an imaginary world. They become sentimental and have sick fancies

Many of the people I know are avid readers,they certainly read true life books,but have many others they read.
Not a single one has sick fancies.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 05:06:18 PM »

When my siblings and I were kids we used to play a game. I Spy Sin. When my parents weren't home we played the game . Somewhat like charades. We had to give hints as to the sin and then guess which church member it was related to.

Sounds a lot like this

GrandmaNettie

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2008, 05:13:34 PM »

Mark Finley spoke briefly on 1John 5:16 as it relates to the sins of others:

16 If anyone sees his brother commit a sin that does not lead to death, he should pray and God will give him life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that he should pray about that.

The way he broke it down was that if one sees someone sinning, they are to pray for that someone and God will send His spirit to reach out to that someone.

We are also told that the Holy Spirit will lead us into all truth.  The Spirit has the power to do that.  We have a job here also... to use whatever gifts we are given to edify the Body of Christ, but we are not given a license to replace the job of the Holy Spirit.  Some believe the downfall of the denomination, any of them really, is in attempting to direct the spiritual growth of members by human measure and muscle.

We need to remember that what looks like sin to one person may not look like sin to another.  Some see the novels SDAminister listed as sinful, some don't. Some see meat-eating as sin. Some don't.  Within this denomination, Sabbath observance varies around the globe.

??? ?? ??? ?? ????

GRAT

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2008, 05:17:41 PM »

Bonnie, I have to ask.  What in your upbringing caused you to play such a game?  I find it very curious. How did you know so much about church members sins?  :hot:

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2008, 05:27:54 PM »

Bonnie, I have to ask.  What in your upbringing caused you to play such a game?  I find it very curious. How did you know so much about church members sins?  :hot:

Because usually it was our sins the church members were concerned with and were diligent in pointing that out. All for our own good of course.
My brothers and I have a warped sense of humor, what can I say. It was our way of dealing with the "christain saints"

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2008, 05:36:10 PM »

Just so we are clear on this. It was not the upbringing by my parents that caused us to "play this game"

We went to church school. I did not like playing the proper games for little girls. I did not want to play with dolls,I preferred my brothers and their friends.
I always played softball and I had a teacher with a few brains. He allowed me to keep blue jeans at school and change at recess.
A husband and wife, who were very experienced at "cleansing the sin from the camp" took it upon themselves after catching me right in the act of playing softball, wearing jeans,and the worst of it,I was not like their daughter who was a proper young lady.
It resulted in a school board meeting, with the saints wanting to censure me and if that didn't work,have me removed
from the school. The teacher of course backed me and for his trouble he was not asked back the following year.

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2008, 06:09:01 PM »

Sabbath police!  mercy!  Y'all ain't got nothin' better to do than to police other's Sabbath activities.  Come on now!!!   Y'all can to better than this!
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2008, 06:20:15 PM »

Sabbath police!  mercy!  Y'all ain't got nothin' better to do than to police other's Sabbath activities.  Come on now!!!   Y'all can to better than this!

Now look, this is serious. The road to hades begins with small steps. No one knows what impact those Little Debbie's will have. It needs to be nipped in the bud.

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2008, 06:34:40 PM »

What do you think happened to the ones in the OT who were caught gathering kindling wood on the Sabbath?

Look it up and let me know. :wave:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up