Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Chess,Checkers, Board Games  (Read 12657 times)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
Chess,Checkers, Board Games
« on: October 26, 2008, 03:26:41 PM »

Are they sinful and are to be avoided . Is all fiction such as Black Beauty or Tom Sawyer sinful
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

bonnie

• Veteran Member
Re: Chess,Checkers, Board Games
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 03:36:00 PM »

Are they sinful and are to be avoided . Is all fiction such as Black Beauty or Tom Sawyer sinful

This should probably be in another forum. Could those that can do so
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 03:38:36 PM »

Now, Bonnie,yea know you already gots to give up poker, spades, etc. when you become Adventist, actually most chrtians do.  Can you leave a little something for enjoyment, though?  LOL!!!

No, checkers, neither chess, nor Sorry or Monopoly are sinful.  BTW, do you play Rook?  Dominoes?  Pastors I know are super serious about these games.  LOL!!!

Seriously, though, they are not a sint hat I know of.  this year, our church started having games nights are different memeber's homes.  It has grown so much that it has to be only at the homes of members with large houses, but there are board games, dominoes activites for the children.  Everyone chips in or brings food to share.  It  has been such a blessing and just loads of fun!

It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 04:11:32 PM »

Now, Bonnie,yea know you already gots to give up poker, spades, etc. when you become Adventist, actually most chrtians do.  Can you leave a little something for enjoyment, though?  LOL!!!

No, checkers, neither chess, nor Sorry or Monopoly are sinful.  BTW, do you play Rook?  Dominoes?  Pastors I know are super serious about these games.  LOL!!!

Seriously, though, they are not a sint hat I know of.  this year, our church started having games nights are different memeber's homes.  It has grown so much that it has to be only at the homes of members with large houses, but there are board games, dominoes activites for the children.  Everyone chips in or brings food to share.  It  has been such a blessing and just loads of fun!
[/color]

It is the dice in monopoly that got me into trouble. Rook was a standard in our family. I played it with my older brother and the stinker would change the rules on me just about the time I was going to win. I liked Flinch a lot better than rook.

I know there is something really wrong with Sorry tho. I was having difficulty sleeping in the later part of my pregnancy. My husband stayed up with me one night and we played sorry.
I can tell you no one cam lose 22 games straight unless there is something worng with the game. Haven't looked at a Sorry game since.

=====

Edited to separate quoted post from this post. - Daryl :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 06:27:07 PM by Daryl Fawcett »

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 05:43:38 AM »

What happened with get togethers for making time useful to make or bake something to be helpful for the needy, or less fortunate in the church like blankets, articles for service men, their families from your area, what can you do for some senior citizens, maybe some work in their home for a get together. I can really think of some strategies of helpfulness that surpass uselessness. If nothing else just sit with a lonely person. Time spent with nothing accomplished is wasted.  We all have wasted time but that does not mean to keep doing it but work to avoid it.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 06:09:53 AM »

What happened with get togethers for making time useful to make or bake something to be helpful for the needy, or less fortunate in the church like blankets, articles for service men, their families from your area, what can you do for some senior citizens, maybe some work in their home for a get together. I can really think of some strategies of helpfulness that surpass uselessness. If nothing else just sit with a lonely person. Time spent with nothing accomplished is wasted.  We all have wasted time but that does not mean to keep doing it but work to avoid it.

What has led you to believe you cannot do both? Is every waking hour to be used in work or does anyone deserve a little down time?

There are some that ......useful to make or bake something to be helpful for the needy, or less fortunate in the church like blankets, articles for service men, their families from your area, what can you do for some senior citizens  
are involved already.

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 09:40:22 AM »

What happened with get to gethers for making time useful to make or bake something to be helpful for the needy, or less fortunate in the church like blankets, articles for service men, their families from your area, what can you do for some senior citizens, maybe some work in their home for a get together. I can really think of some strategies of helpfulness that surpass uselessness. If nothing else just sit with a lonely person. Time spent with nothing accomplished is wasted.  We all have wasted time but that does not mean to keep doing it but work to avoid it.

What has led you to believe you cannot do both? Is every waking hour to be used in work or does anyone deserve a little down time?

First of all I like work, accomplishment, organizing, designing drapes, wedding dresses,(back to normal) always striving to do better to help someone's Else's ox in the ditch.  Always had an acre of garden to share, canning, making sure my children knew to do the same. I found no comfort setting on my fanny competing, to out wit someones moves that makes no difference or proves anything.  I am not a game player. I do not like Competition but enjoy helping or watching all the talents that people can do.  My downtime is just peacefulness in what ever I am doing. My downtime is preparing vegetables for my family for winter. 6 children, 14 grandchildren. 5 greats.and I am still young (smile). Preparing each favorite thing to eat for each and knowing what it is for each especially at Thanksgiving. Help with the babies and whatever is happening. My best downtown is at night late when I can get to know better and better.. God. I just don't want to miss HIm.

We  have had much sorrow..for someone with huge greed to come and destroy it all.. This trauma or horrific thing that has happened for what ever similar reason that 3ABN sucked money out of the Adventist people is a very trick of the Devil. Sorry got off on to that again. But back to the games. If you do it on an individual basis, it's sort of like finding a righteous thing to do with the money coming from Bingo, Nascar, raffles, etc. This slaps God in the face saying His inability to get funds in the right way other then how people use their special intertainment needs and desires to get the funds. I think God prefers it comes from honest work as He prescribes and not man's choices in whatever or how he wants. Sort of like the Cain and Able thing... I am guilty of this though. You might call it a game. But just to see where I might stand in accomplishments I sometimes enter my works into the county fairs. I do this knowing I will take 1st place. Now you may think this is a bad statement of which I agree. But in order to do this you must watch and see everyones talents each year as all the community presents their competition. That is really where I'm coming from and watch. Now, if you have ideas that are better, present them, then all will strive to do better then you. But above all you must realize that somebody else can always do better then you. I look at the Lord and Heaven that way. I am always excited to learn better. I always give benefit of doubt. but in the end "SHOW ME THE MONEY" "SHOW ME THE TRUTH" ELSE I WILL FIND IT. THE LORD PROMISED.

There are some that ......useful to make or bake something to be helpful for the needy, or less fortunate in the church like blankets, articles for service men, their families from your area, what can you do for some senior citizens  
are involved already.

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 09:33:35 PM »

You lost 22 straight games?!!!  LOL!!! Hilarious!!  At OC, Sorry and Rook skills were essential.   We have always played these games, in my family.  We had family game nights, and on those occasions when during storms and the electricty went out, we played them by candle light.  Makes for great childhood memories!

[/color]

It is the dice in monopoly that got me into trouble. Rook was a standard in our family. I played it with my older brother and the stinker would change the rules on me just about the time I was going to win. I liked Flinch a lot better than rook.

I know there is something really wrong with Sorry tho. I was having difficulty sleeping in the later part of my pregnancy. My husband stayed up with me one night and we played sorry.
I can tell you no one cam lose 22 games straight unless there is something worng with the game. Haven't looked at a Sorry game since.

=====

It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 09:39:40 PM »

Di is back!!  Yea!!!

I agree with you!  Some of my favorite childhood memories were going with my folks to their friends homes on Saturday night for popcorn, apples and games!  Our favorites were Pit and "Carom and Crokinole" (spelling?)...

You lost 22 straight games?!!!  LOL!!! Hilarious!!  At OC, Sorry and Rook skills were essential.   We have always played these games, in my family.  We had family game nights, and on those occasions when during storms and the electricty went out, we played them by candle light.  Makes for great childhood memories!

[/color]

=====

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 09:53:33 PM »

Because these games are not a waste of time, Tinka.  Jesus took time to sit and enjoy time iwth his friends, we know this, the Bible says so. We must be temperant in ALL things.  Even too much of a good thing is not good.   God made us social beings, and games have been around since man, they are not a sin. I believe that is why some have been given as talents athletic abilities.  We never think of it, however those types of talents as also God given. As Bonnie says, we can do both.  How about taking a Sorry, Rook, Monopoly Trivial Pursuit, chess(some people pay these gameslong distance), checkers Bible authors game along to that person you are visiting?  See?  

Does not the Bible speak aobut fellowship.  I know for women, it is much easier to discuss difficult issues ina more relaxed and social atmosphere.  As Women's ministry Leader I have planned retreats, teas, brunches.  The women has a great time, but they all also left richly blessed. I believe this is also why we are commanded not to forsake the gathering of ourselves together..  The enemy works through isolation, from church, from friends, from family.  We need fellowship just as much as we need the spiritual parts of our christian walk, in fact it IS an intergral part of the christian walk.

One last word.  Remember Martha was missing out on something, doing something good, but she was missing the most important part being.........busy.  Is that not what Jesus told her?  Too much of a good thing?

Oh Pit!!! I forgot!!  We recently played that at a game night!  That is soo much fun!

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 10:02:36 PM »

Bless your heart, Tinka.  You are just like my Grandmother.  She died at almost 90.  He rlove was doing things for her family.  Because of that I was grown before I ate store bought jellies or jams, and ALL those in her circle have the delightful memories of teackes,a nd other favorites.  She just LOVED having her family, and our friends, around her.  She also taught us some of the most fun parlor games from her childhood. 

Competition is not a bad thing.  Here is this area, we try to have games night once a month at someone's home.  Nothing but games(and food, of course).  It is a blast and no one gets angry or crazy, everyone has a great time is fellowship.

First of all I like work, accomplishment, organizing, designing drapes, wedding dresses,(back to normal) always striving to do better to help someone's Else's ox in the ditch.  Always had an acre of garden to share, canning, making sure my children knew to do the same. I found no comfort setting on my fanny competing, to out wit someones moves that makes no difference or proves anything.  I am not a game player. I do not like Competition but enjoy helping or watching all the talents that people can do.  My downtime is just peacefulness in what ever I am doing. My downtime is preparing vegetables for my family for winter. 6 children, 14 grandchildren. 5 greats.and I am still young (smile). Preparing each favorite thing to eat for each and knowing what it is for each especially at Thanksgiving. Help with the babies and whatever is happening. My best downtown is at night late when I can get to know better and better.. God. I just don't want to miss HIm.

We  have had much sorrow..for someone with huge greed to come and destroy it all.. This trauma or horrific thing that has happened for what ever similar reason that 3ABN sucked money out of the Adventist people is a very trick of the Devil. Sorry got off on to that again. But back to the games. If you do it on an individual basis, it's sort of like finding a righteous thing to do with the money coming from Bingo, Nascar, raffles, etc. This slaps God in the face saying His inability to get funds in the right way other then how people use their special intertainment needs and desires to get the funds. I think God prefers it comes from honest work as He prescribes and not man's choices in whatever or how he wants. Sort of like the Cain and Able thing... I am guilty of this though. You might call it a game. But just to see where I might stand in accomplishments I sometimes enter my works into the county fairs. I do this knowing I will take 1st place. Now you may think this is a bad statement of which I agree. But in order to do this you must watch and see everyones talents each year as all the community presents their competition. That is really where I'm coming from and watch. Now, if you have ideas that are better, present them, then all will strive to do better then you. But above all you must realize that somebody else can always do better then you. I look at the Lord and Heaven that way. I am always excited to learn better. I always give benefit of doubt. but in the end "SHOW ME THE MONEY" "SHOW ME THE TRUTH" ELSE I WILL FIND IT. THE LORD PROMISED.

are involved already.
[/quote]

Emma

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 02:14:14 AM »

.  Oh Pit!!! I forgot!!  We recently played that at a game night!  That is soo much fun!

Di, what a lot of good memories that sentence brought back for me.  We were taught Pit by American co-workers in Karachi, Pakistan in the way back when, and I can remember
the grab for the teaspoons we used as tokens in Pit, at the Saturday night games sessions.

We worked very hard during the week, and things often got stressful, those games nights were good for all of us.

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 04:19:04 AM »

Answer to the games, there are some games that are not competition, hide and go seek, hide the button, hop scotch, playing outside games duck duck goose with little friends for exercise in a little one room school house. My little friends were like a family that all of us never have left to this day, only lost 2 since 1st grade. We were taught not only by our parents way back then and by our teachers in a little one room school house how to be individuals with our own imagination to expand in right directions to think for our self to achieve ourself and put into affect our own idea and make it work.

It all has been taken away by mostly having to be entertained more and more. This takes away all imagination on their own other then competing, (for what)?. All their thoughts are provided by entertainment, competition. they can't study for themselves unless they are shown. Teachers can't do it anymore so take it home to parents to help figure it out.  All gaming is created to entertain. TV occupies most of their mind. I see very little children that have nothing more to do but keep them entertained. I see athletics pray for winning so their ego's are sored. I watched little children cry and cry because they were beat in wrestling tournaments. Belittled at a very early age not good enough. Baseball is good for ex cerise but take it to the limits of winning? Use it for fun not what it has become. 

I do not have a mind that has to be entertained, I create my own ingenuity, I choose to teach the best I could to prepare my children for life to do the necessary things that bring happiness cleanliness and be able to do the basics in life, especially if they plan to have families. Common sense is essential. I discovered in one of my granddaughters friends that came in a class for me to teach cake decoration. She was 14. She sat their with an egg that was to make hard Royal Frosting not knowing what to do about the egg. I wondered why she did not proceed. She did not know how to crack an egg. Yes she was Adventist. and yes they ate meat and eggs.

Not all has been perfect since I raised my children.  The entertainment came along in full force. I am not sure they are all happy with what they have found in it in their adult years.  It is sad for me to watch. I was taught that way and that is the way I believe used to be right!! It created in me to find always truth for myself in reading and will not follow some one else's theory or opinion unless it comes from the right source. I have been taught individuality by mother, and good teachers. It gives you freedom of mind without competition but to always do your best in being a good steward in all things. Becareful not to waste, especially your mind and time.  I still am learning. Now competion is in dressing, makeup, gaming,hair, peer pressure, (tatooing, peirsings) asall intertainment eventually dulls, insipid recipes, etc...etc...yes you see right 'insiped' recipes into fanaticism. Yes I believe EGW in the health message but not to the extent it has gone or shall I say have been led.. away from her very common sense writings. Lack of education just on soy beans alone is amazing. Check at the agriculture office just to see what you really are eating and what it is causing. People seem always wanting to be led. BO knew that and used it.

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 07:26:18 PM »

All i can say, Tinka is that those are indeed abuses you have listed in your second paragraph.  The only thing i can say to you is....ALL things done in moderation. It doesnt' make competition a bad thing, no more than it makes food a bad thing because some of us over eat.  There are some young women a lot older than 14 who dont' know what to do with an egg, and it h as absolutely nothing to do with competitve games or being entertained.  I truly understand you point, but as I said you are mostly reacting to the abuses, in effect throwing out the baby with the bath water. 

Answer to the games, there are some games that are not competition, hide and go seek, hide the button, hop scotch, playing outside games duck duck goose with little friends for exercise in a little one room school house. My little friends were like a family that all of us never have left to this day, only lost 2 since 1st grade. We were taught not only by our parents way back then and by our teachers in a little one room school house how to be individuals with our own imagination to expand in right directions to think for our self to achieve ourself and put into affect our own idea and make it work.

It all has been taken away by mostly having to be entertained more and more. This takes away all imagination on their own other then competing, (for what)?. All their thoughts are provided by entertainment, competition. they can't study for themselves unless they are shown. Teachers can't do it anymore so take it home to parents to help figure it out.  All gaming is created to entertain. TV occupies most of their mind. I see very little children that have nothing more to do but keep them entertained. I see athletics pray for winning so their ego's are sored. I watched little children cry and cry because they were beat in wrestling tournaments. Belittled at a very early age not good enough. Baseball is good for ex cerise but take it to the limits of winning? Use it for fun not what it has become. 

I do not have a mind that has to be entertained, I create my own ingenuity, I choose to teach the best I could to prepare my children for life to do the necessary things that bring happiness cleanliness and be able to do the basics in life, especially if they plan to have families. Common sense is essential. I discovered in one of my granddaughters friends that came in a class for me to teach cake decoration. She was 14. She sat their with an egg that was to make hard Royal Frosting not knowing what to do about the egg. I wondered why she did not proceed. She did not know how to crack an egg. Yes she was Adventist. and yes they ate meat and eggs.

Not all has been perfect since I raised my children.  The entertainment came along in full force. I am not sure they are all happy with what they have found in it in their adult years.  It is sad for me to watch. I was taught that way and that is the way I believe used to be right!! It created in me to find always truth for myself in reading and will not follow some one else's theory or opinion unless it comes from the right source. I have been taught individuality by mother, and good teachers. It gives you freedom of mind without competition but to always do your best in being a good steward in all things. Becareful not to waste, especially your mind and time.  I still am learning. Now competion is in dressing, makeup, gaming,hair, peer pressure, (tatooing, peirsings) asall intertainment eventually dulls, insipid recipes, etc...etc...yes you see right 'insiped' recipes into fanaticism. Yes I believe EGW in the health message but not to the extent it has gone or shall I say have been led.. away from her very common sense writings. Lack of education just on soy beans alone is amazing. Check at the agriculture office just to see what you really are eating and what it is causing. People seem always wanting to be led. BO knew that and used it.

Habanero

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 11:39:55 PM »

My daughter is a wonderful little lady, and she is a chess champion. I have watched the expansion of her ability to plan and think as she progressed in chess, and I am more than proud of that girl! I have no doubt that chess has played a roll in her ability to think tactically and plan ahead in a very well thought out manner. Again, more than proud of my baby!!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up