Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Go and check out the Christians Discuss Forum for committed Christians at  http://www.christians-discuss.com

Poll

How should 3ABN respond to the demand letter from Tommy Shelton's molestation victims' attorneys?

3ABN should respond by September 10.
- 13 (31%)
3ABN shouldn't respond at all to the demand letter.
- 0 (0%)
3ABN should settle within 30 days of August 18, well before the Christmas giving season.
- 11 (26.2%)
3ABN should never settle since 3ABN has never done anything wrong.
- 1 (2.4%)
3ABN should let it go to trial as soon as possible so that 3ABN can be fully vindicated.
- 1 (2.4%)
3ABN should try every stall tactic in the books, in the hopes that the case never goes to trial.
- 0 (0%)
3ABN's directors should foot the bill, since Tommy was rehired 10 years after being let go over similar allegations.
- 12 (28.6%)
I need to know what Tommy's victim's claims are before I can decide on some of these questions.
- 4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: 3ABN receives demand letter with deadlines  (Read 43854 times)

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: 3ABN receives demand letter with deadlines
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2010, 08:32:03 PM »

Really?!  Tommy Shelton was still being paid by 3ABN in 2009?
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

GRAT

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2010, 10:09:03 PM »

I went back and found a letter I had received from Walt Thompson in Dec '08.   I will quote two sentences from it that I thought were timely.  "As Chairman of this board, I must accept responsibility for any wrongdoing that might occur here.   I take my role seriously."  Then later in the letter "Please rest assured that we have no thoughts of cover-up of evil of any kind."  Wonder if he has changed his tune?

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2010, 11:08:58 PM »

Another quote:

"In December of 2006, again Glen Dryden warned 3ABN that Pastor Shelton was still abusing children. At that point, Pastor Shelton failed to appear at a 3ABN broadcasting event in Florida, citing health reasons. Then, instead of reporting him to the authorities, making the information public and reaching out to uncover and aid other victims, 3ABN saw fit to broadcast a tribute to Pastor Shelton where he was interviewed by his brother Danny Shelton. During that tribute show, Pastor Shelton was praised as a good Christian brother...a person of integrity. 3ABN stated it had nothing but good things to say adding it appreciated his Christian experience and Christian walk with the Lord.

No mention was made of the sexual abuse that Pastor Shelton admitted to and that 3ABN condoned. In fact, the only reason cited for his early retirement was health reasons. Pastor Shelton was told that "God was going to be with him." Even these new allegations of sexual abuse of children were not enough to force Danny Shelton and 3ABN to take any permanent action against Pastor Shelton, since as Danny Shelton put it during the broadcasts, "we are telling our viewers that you are not gone...we want you to come back and be with you as often as you can."

Shelton's sexual abuse of chilren is known to a multitude of persons associated with your oganization including among others:

Danny Shelton- Founder and former President and Ceo, and present consultant.

Walter Thompson- Chairman of the Board of Directors."

Edited to fix quote.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 02:10:11 AM by Artiste »
When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. --
Billy Graham

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2010, 11:25:58 PM »

That is heavy.

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2010, 05:06:20 AM »

One can only speculate on why so much physical "heart trouble". The heart and brain don't work together.   Hmm.

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2010, 05:59:15 AM »

Another quote:

"In December of 2006, again Glen Dryden warned 3ABN that Pastor Shelton was still abusing children. At that point, Pastor Shelton failed to appear at a 3ABN broadcasting event in Florida, citing health reasons. Then, instead of reporting him to the authorities, making the information public and reaching out to uncover and aid other victims, 3ABN saw fit to broadcast a tribute to Pastor Shelton where he was interviewed by his brother Danny Shelton. During that tribute show, Pastor Shelton was praised as a good Christian brother...a person of integrity. 3ABN stated it had nothing but good things to say adding it appreciated his Christian experience and Christian walk with the Lord.

No mention was made of the sexual abuse that Pastor Shelton admitted to and that 3ABN condoned. In fact, the only reason cited for his early retirement was health reasons. Pastor Shelton was told that "God was going to be with him." Even these new allegations of sexual abuse of children were not enough to force Danny Shelton and 3ABN to take any permanent action against Pastor Shelton, since as Danny Shelton put it during the broadcasts, "we are telling our viewers that you are not gone...we want you to come back and be with you as often as you can."

Shelton's sexual abuse of chilren is known to a multitude of persons associated with your oganization including among others:

Danny Shelton- Founder and former President and Ceo, and present consultant.

Walter Thompson- Chairman of the Board of Directors."

Edited to fix quote.
The purpose of the televised tribute was simple. It was designed to stick a thumb in the eye of each of Tommy's accusers. This was Danny's way of saying, "See, I'm still in control, so you'd better keep quiet."
Duane Clem
It's not about religion, It's about a relationship

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2010, 06:27:51 AM »

After 3ABN's reprehensible televised tribute to child molester Tommy Shelton, one retired church official wrote Walt Thompson and told him he was outraged.

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2010, 10:08:12 AM »

Another quote:

"We believe that, along with the underlying sexual abuse, the actions and deliberate inaction by 3ABN constitutes actionable behavior in Illinois. Furthermore, 3ABN's actions have subjected it to civil liability to Pastor Shelton's victims including our clients. Specifically, we intend to file a civil suit against 3ABN including, among others, causes of action for Childhood Sexual Abuse; Failure to Report Childhood Sexual Abuse; Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress' Negligent Infliction of Emotional Distress; Negligent Hiring and Negligent Supervision; Fraud; and Misrepresentation of a Felony."

Edited to fix quote.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 12:30:56 PM by Artiste »
When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. --
Billy Graham

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2010, 10:36:25 AM »

"... Negiligent Supervision ...."

What do you mean, "negligent supervision?" Don't you know that Danny Shelton himself is reported to have told a 3ABN employee in 1991 or earlier, "Don't let Tommy eat lunch with so and so," so and so being a young, male 3ABN employee?

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2010, 10:47:17 AM »

"Our clients are benefitted by having full documentation of many of the allegations, witnesses and written statements. We are in possession of all these materials."

"In my 20 years of experience as a trial lawyer, I can count on one hand the amount of times I have accepted a case as well- documented as this. ..."

Mighty sobering.

Just think what it would have been like if Danny Shelton had had that good of a case against us. As it was, I got the distinct impression that if Simpson was required to show me where Gailon or I had said what their complaint alleges that we said, he couldn't have done it.

You know, like where we allegedly said that Danny used the company jet for personal trips. The closest thing I could find for that one was where I quoted Administrative Law Judge Barbara Rowe from the 3ABN property tax case where she referred to that kind of thing. But Danny sued me, not Judge Barbara Rowe.

Even so, it is a matter of record that Danny Shelton used the company jet to go get marriage counseling in 2004, and in connection with his personal, private lawsuit against Gailon and myself. So he did use the company jet for personal purposes.

But I still don't know where I said so prior to his filing suit against us. And my quote of Judge Barbra Rowe doesn't really count.

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2010, 12:45:17 PM »

Another quote:

"As a result of the childhood sexual abuse perpetrated on them, our clients have and will continue to suffer a lifetime of trauma, physical and psychological damage. In addition to the compensatory damages for the harm, we believe that the facts are so egregious in this case that a significant award of special and punitive damages will be awarded. Please know that we have the ability and full intention of pursuing this award by ALL available means."

Edited to fix quote.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 03:15:31 PM by Artiste »
Billy Graham

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2010, 02:50:30 PM »

Another quote:

"In the event this matter proceeds towards litigation, we will not only be seeking substantial monetary compensation. We will also be seeking injunctive relief in the form of a mandatory broadcast announcement, on 3ABN, of Pastor Shelton's past sexual abuse of children, along with the creation of a staffed, toll free telephone line for all information regarding such to be reported by 3ABN patrons."

Edited to fix quote.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 03:04:15 PM by Artiste »
Billy Graham

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2010, 03:05:29 PM »

Well that should provide some interesting responses from 3ABN viewers.
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2010, 10:11:25 AM »

It will also be interesting to see how 3ABN responds to this.

It also seems that 3ABN is getting a taste of their own litigation medicine.

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2010, 11:32:29 AM »

Good point, Daryl.
Duane Clem
It's not about religion, It's about a relationship
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up