Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: "... 3ABN, the denomination’s TV station ..."  (Read 37125 times)

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: "... 3ABN, the denomination’s TV station ..."
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2010, 10:23:08 PM »

There are Adventists who are similar to the Amish in that they tend to feel that the only true religion would have to reflect the social and visual aspects of life during the time in which the religion was invented. We respect their views, smile, and go on with life. Anyone who would like to make divine dogma out of their personal taste is very capable of using scripture to prove their points. Having grown up among such people I can see their point, but learned very early to beware of people who make clothing, jewelry, makeup and food the points on which they judge everyone else as good or bad.  Jesus. Never once did that. Are we better than him? I dont think so. He didn't attacj people for their outward appearance, so what give us the right to?

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2010, 05:38:17 AM »

Right some do this but in all if you follow simplicity, and choose to be Christlike it automatically comes this way because it is no longer necessity for "vanity". Vanity will get you nowhere you will shun the very best of it. Vanity will not get you into the gates. Vanity if bigger then you think that harbours unseen sin. Some do not like to take the chance of this to obstain public opinions and different lifestyles. The memonites, amish take this seriously and so should we.

If you wear a gold or silver ring what is the difference of wearing it on your toes, your nose, your ears, your skin as skin is skin anywhere you see it. Are you following the tradition of men??? Then if you have justifyed that then ....why not? It's beauty, it's costly, and it's vanity with no excuses. why not use it to have beauty, and forget the rest as we are most beautiful with it.  What an excuse for a whole denomination to put into the church manual to go against what is plain, clear and what God has said in his scripture. This change can now all be seen on "Hope" channel. so I do consider this to be a true stumbling block! and some choose to do this but I would not take the chance...why because I do think jewelry is pretty. Some think that allagator meat is good too.  One thing for sure one might take note of the dress of Jesus. didn't see any rings on fingers or read about any on Jesus. Why not if there is nothing wrong with it. Sentamentalism, forget it. It's your own thing again. In his time He Only will give out a crown of jewels as we throw them back as his feet to show our love more for Him instead of worthless stones.

mrst53

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2010, 09:44:44 AM »

So there is NO real preaching against wearing jewelry or makeup now?

I grew up in Rev Jennings Wood's Church, so of course, it was influenced by Gail Wood and the SDA church. She wore no wedding ring and no makeup and she preached against it.  Biblically, she could not back it up(New Testament), so eventually after much prayer, I decided it was ok for me to wear some modest jewelry.They did wear NICE  watches and I thought that was hypocritical, since a plain watch would do just fine.....

I felt when I got married, I wanted a wedding ring, so other men, would know that I was married and OFF Limits.. :ROFL:

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2010, 10:07:58 AM »

There still is preaching on the topic today.

I grew up in Rev Jennings Wood's Church, so of course, it was influenced by Gail Wood and the SDA church.

What connection do the Woods have with the Adventist Church? Was she an Adventist at one time?

I felt when I got married, I wanted a wedding ring, so other men, would know that I was married and OFF Limits..

I have no idea how prevalent the idea is, but one fellow told me that in his wild days he looked for the women that wore wedding rings. That way if she got pregnant, it would be assumed that her husband was the father, not him.

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2010, 10:39:37 AM »

I look for wedding rings so I will know who not to show interest in, and have had a few embarassing times when I found out the hard way because there wan't a ring. I have also heard of men and women who look for married people... weird.

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2010, 10:58:12 AM »

Murielago,
OH now, so you are a single guy, careful I might have to fix you up with a beautiful girl. Could you be late thirties, or early forties? or late forties or maybe you really are taken by now.  ;)

GRAT

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2010, 11:40:34 AM »

It always made me wonder when we could wear a pin on a dress or coat but not on a chain around the neck.  We also wouldn't spend money on  jewelry but could drive up to the church in a Mercedees (just an example).  I personally think it is something that we got from the Puritans and held onto for dear life with no real biblical proof.  I have personally never seen a picture of Jesus when he was on this earth so I don't know what he wore.  The bible says things about men having long hair and we haven't held on to that like the Amish have.  We have a story in our family of a grandmother who bobbed her hair when she was in academy.  In order for her to be able to go back to school she pulled it back and put a fake hair bun to cover it.  She worked in the kitchen and one of the boys snapped a towel at her and hit the bun.  He thought he had caused her hair to fall off.  Not sure of the outcome when they found out about her hair but she was one of the most kindly, Christian women I have ever met.   

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2010, 01:41:13 PM »

Praise God!!!, not at my church!  As you said, there is no biblical support, it is bascially a corporate policy.  I pay it no mind.  Never had a problem being identified as a christian.

I grew up in Rev Jennings Wood's Church, so of course, it was influenced by Gail Wood and the SDA church. She wore no wedding ring and no makeup and she preached against it.  Biblically, she could not back it up(New Testament), so eventually after much prayer, I decided it was ok for me to wear some modest jewelry.They did wear NICE  watches and I thought that was hypocritical, since a plain watch would do just fine.....

I felt when I got married, I wanted a wedding ring, so other men, would know that I was married and OFF Limits.. :ROFL:
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2010, 02:30:14 PM »

There have been an awful lot of folks of many faiths who believed that there was biblical support for fallen mortals abstaining from needless adornment.

Did John Wesley get his views on the subject from the Puritans?

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2010, 02:35:12 PM »

I don't know where he got it from, and I dont' care.  I was born and raised SDA, and have yet to get  credible biblical support fo this policy. 

There have been an awful lot of folks of many faiths who believed that there was biblical support for fallen mortals abstaining from needless adornment.

It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

mrst53

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2010, 04:08:31 PM »

Bob,
Gail Wood, was raised a very strict SDA before converting to Church of God. Her father was a Adventist minister. I was raised under JB Wood and Gail Wood at the Dunn Loring Church as a teenager. It was not a pleasant time, I can tell you. :ROFL: Her daughter, Loretta and I were the same age.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2010, 07:57:58 PM »

Why do you feel that Peter and Paul's instruction in the NT does not constitute credible biblical support?

I don't know where he got it from, and I dont' care.  I was born and raised SDA, and have yet to get  credible biblical support fo this policy. 

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2010, 08:00:04 PM »

Bob,
Gail Wood, was raised a very strict SDA before converting to Church of God. Her father was a Adventist minister. I was raised under JB Wood and Gail Wood at the Dunn Loring Church as a teenager. It was not a pleasant time, I can tell you. :ROFL: Her daughter, Loretta and I were the same age.

Where was her father a minister? Do you know his name? Would there be any connections there that would explain why the Woods were friends of Tommy even though Virginia is a long way from Illinois? Did either of the Woods know the Sheltons going way back?

I'm just curious.

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2010, 08:04:39 PM »

There are Adventists who are similar to the Amish in that they tend to feel that the only true religion would have to reflect the social and visual aspects of life during the time in which the religion was invented. We respect their views, smile, and go on with life. Anyone who would like to make divine dogma out of their personal taste is very capable of using scripture to prove their points. Having grown up among such people I can see their point, but learned very early to beware of people who make clothing, jewelry, makeup and food the points on which they judge everyone else as good or bad.  Jesus. Never once did that. Are we better than him? I dont think so. He didn't attacj people for their outward appearance, so what give us the right to?

Well said!!

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2010, 08:07:52 PM »

Right some do this but in all if you follow simplicity, and choose to be Christlike it automatically comes this way because it is no longer necessity for "vanity". Vanity will get you nowhere you will shun the very best of it. Vanity will not get you into the gates. Vanity if bigger then you think that harbours unseen sin. Some do not like to take the chance of this to obstain public opinions and different lifestyles. The memonites, amish take this seriously and so should we.

If you wear a gold or silver ring what is the difference of wearing it on your toes, your nose, your ears, your skin as skin is skin anywhere you see it. Are you following the tradition of men??? Then if you have justifyed that then ....why not? It's beauty, it's costly, and it's vanity with no excuses. why not use it to have beauty, and forget the rest as we are most beautiful with it.  What an excuse for a whole denomination to put into the church manual to go against what is plain, clear and what God has said in his scripture. This change can now all be seen on "Hope" channel. so I do consider this to be a true stumbling block! and some choose to do this but I would not take the chance...why because I do think jewelry is pretty. Some think that allagator meat is good too.  One thing for sure one might take note of the dress of Jesus. didn't see any rings on fingers or read about any on Jesus. Why not if there is nothing wrong with it. Sentamentalism, forget it. It's your own thing again. In his time He Only will give out a crown of jewels as we throw them back as his feet to show our love more for Him instead of worthless stones.

tinka,

What do you think about men wearing neckties?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up