Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Go and check out the Christians Discuss Forum for committed Christians at  http://www.christians-discuss.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Open letter to Leona Running, Ph.d  (Read 21690 times)

Gregory

• Veteran Member
Re: Open letter to Leona Running, Ph.d
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 02:39:51 AM »

The following is an abridged statment of the requirements to recieve a DHL degree.  If you want to know know, you can find out more on the Internet.  I have abridged it because I wanted to be brief.  It should be noted that several schohols in the United States offer the DHL degree.
First-Year Review

The candidacy of each first-year DHL student will be reviewed after the first year. The student's department, in conjunction with the dean, will review the progress the student has made and assess the student's potential to complete the degree. If the department or the dean is not satisfied with the student's progress or potential, the student will be dropped from the DHL program but will be allowed to complete the first year of residence.

Hebrew
Prior to taking the Comprehensive Examination, doctoral students are required to pass a proficiency exam in reading Hebrew academic texts, for which HEB 5999: Reading Academic Texts provides the requisite skills.

Course Work
A minimum of 30 credits of graduate course work beyond the master's degree  is required. Of these, 21 credits are to be in the field of specialization. A minimum of 18 credits must be taken at the New York campus. All courses must be approved by the adviser.

Consortium
All matriculated DHL students may take courses offered through the DHL consortium, including the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences at Columbia University, Fordham University, and Union Theological Seminary. Students must receive the advance approval of the adviser and register for those courses on their JTS registration cards. The host institution reserves the right to give its own students priority enrollment.

Comprehensive Examination
Most departments require a comprehensive examination in the field of specialization after completion of course work. The comprehensive examination will be graded on the following scale: pass with distinction, pass, or fail. A student who fails the examination may take it once more. A second failure automatically terminates the student's participation in the DHL program.

Dissertation
A candidate is required to write a dissertation in the field of specialization. This work must be a contribution to the field and may be a synthesis of extant scholarship on the topic. A written proposal for the dissertation must be submitted for approval to a faculty adviser. Both the proposal and the adviser's written approval must be submitted to The Graduate School for approval by the dean. The dissertation is then to be written under the supervision of the faculty adviser who approved it. Dissertations are to be written in English.

Please not the following:
1) It can take up to 10 years to complete the requirements for a DHL degree.
2) Pay attention to the schools that offer courses that may be used for the requirements--Fordham University, Columbia University, Union Theological Seminary, etc.
3) To obtain a DHL degree one must write a thesis.

Believe me, a DHL degree is a recognized academic degree.

Gregory

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 02:47:04 AM »

SDA Minister said:
Gregory,
It appears that you were very, very mistaken.

It appears that you are correct.  I acknowledge that I was wrong and I have never claimed to be 100% correct.  :)  :)

Thank you (I mean it.) for providing the correction that I deserved.

I will leave my previous posst as it clearly points out that there is an academic DHL degree.  That is what confused me.  It appears that you knew more about her degree than did I.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 02:59:58 AM by Gregory »

Gregory

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 02:59:21 AM »

SDAminister said:
Gregory,
Did you receive permission from Adventist Forum (Spectrum Magazine) to republish here the entire article titled "Open Letter to Ted Wilson From Your Hebrew Teacher"?

The copyright on that letter is held by Dr. Running.  The Association of Adventist Forums is not the owner of the  copyright.  It therefore, cannot give permission to republish.  How do I know?  I have written to them in the past for permission to republish.  They explained to me what I have said above and that I needed to obtain permission from the author.

When Dr. Runnilng wrote her "open letter" she placed it in the public domain.  It can be republished at will without obtaining permission.

If you really understand copyright law, you will know that there is a provision of the law that allows for repubolication of an entire work without permission.  My republication of that letter was under the provisions of that part of the law.

How do I know.  "Several years ago there was a person who published each week a piece entitled, "Jesus of the Week."  I found him to be very offensive.  About half of the time he would publish a work by a SDA author, often Maxwell.     I believed him to violate copyright.  I contacted the denominational holder of the copyrighted material.  After review, it was explained to me that his material was published under the provisions of the law that allowed an entire work to be republished and therefore the denomination could do nothing about it.

What did I achieve?  The paper that was publishing his material stopped publishing it.

NOTE: You can find "Jesus of the Week" material on the Internet.  If you do, you will find it very offensive.

Gregory

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 03:41:48 AM »

Additional information for anyone interested:

The DHL degree that I referenced is a Doctor of Hebrew Letters and my abridged quotation came from the Jewish Theological Seminary of New York.  The JTS is one of several schools that award the DHL degree.

Copyright law:  In a prior life I was once in a posiiton where I was republishing copyrighted material.  My job depended upon my compliance with the law.  As I was educated on the provisions of the law, I became aware that there are a basketfull of exceptions and that U.S. copyright law was not fully in compliance with Internatioinal law.  I actually was republishing under a provision of the law that gave me limited rights to republish without permission.  However, I typically republished beyond those limited rights.  So, as a courtesy and to publish outside of those rights, I obtained permission from the copyright holder inevery case.  In some cases the copyright holder placed restrlictions on what I could co.

In that posiiton, I published a number of articles from SPECTRUM.  In every case I obtained permission from the author and I complied with whatever restrictions were placed upon me.   In some cases none.  In one case, not involving SPECTRUM, the author required substantial rewriting of the article.  I complied.  As copyright holder, the author was in charge.   In that case, in effect it becam a new, never published, article.  :)

SDAminister

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 08:25:02 AM »

SDAminister said:
Gregory,
Did you receive permission from Adventist Forum (Spectrum Magazine) to republish here the entire article titled "Open Letter to Ted Wilson From Your Hebrew Teacher"?

The copyright on that letter is held by Dr. Running.  The Association of Adventist Forums is not the owner of the  copyright.  It therefore, cannot give permission to republish.  How do I know?  I have written to them in the past for permission to republish.  They explained to me what I have said above and that I needed to obtain permission from the author.

When Dr. Runnilng wrote her "open letter" she placed it in the public domain.  It can be republished at will without obtaining permission.

If you really understand copyright law, you will know that there is a provision of the law that allows for repubolication of an entire work without permission.  My republication of that letter was under the provisions of that part of the law.

How do I know.  "Several years ago there was a person who published each week a piece entitled, "Jesus of the Week."  I found him to be very offensive.  About half of the time he would publish a work by a SDA author, often Maxwell.     I believed him to violate copyright.  I contacted the denominational holder of the copyrighted material.  After review, it was explained to me that his material was published under the provisions of the law that allowed an entire work to be republished and therefore the denomination could do nothing about it.

What did I achieve?  The paper that was publishing his material stopped publishing it.

NOTE: You can find "Jesus of the Week" material on the Internet.  If you do, you will find it very offensive.

Okay, thanks for the info on copyright law. I'm no expert on that. I know that certain things and parts can be republished such as for review and critique. But you did neither of these. You posted the entire letter/article without comment. So, I'm still not clear though has to how you could republish the entire article without approval from either AAF or Dr. Running.

The article as it sits on the Spectrum Website is emblazoned with a copyright symbol at the bottom.
Did Dr. Running personally release to you permission to reprint the entire article/letter?

You state that she placed it in the public domain. When and how did she do this? Merely writing "open letter" does not do this. I could write a 200 page letter, bind it in a book and call it "My Open Letter to the Queen of England". Does that mean there is no copyright on it? Of course not.

The intended audience may be the world, but the method that info gets to the world can be controlled.

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 01:09:09 PM »

When chihuahuas nip at the heels of giants, it may make the chihuahuas feel big, but it neither makes the chihuahuas big, or the giants small.

"Responsibility is the price of greatness.”  --Winston Churchill

Is it responsible for a scholarly woman in the position of role model to young women interested in theology to wear a t-shirt that says “A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle”?

To me, that would be an influence in the regrettable direction of society that we find ourselves in today, in which men are put down and women make fun of them...i.e. see some current TV sitcoms.
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 02:11:35 PM »

The disrespect hurtled at Dr. Running in this open letter is deserving of the same revulsion and outrage some of us have over the same disrespect shown Ted Wilson at the PUC session.

Gregory

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 03:23:35 PM »

The disrespect hurtled at Dr. Running in this open letter is deserving of the same revulsion and outrage some of us have over the same disrespect shown Ted Wilson at the PUC session.

Exactly.

In addition, the person who authored that so-called "open letter" did not have the courage to write undeer his name.

christined

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 04:27:48 PM »

I, too, am saddened by the disrespect given to Dr. Running.  Not only because she is a very learned person, but because of her age.  Since when do we disrespect the elderly?  And she is not the only one disrespected, but many others who comment on this forum have been torn down and ridiculed by those who are supposed to be our Christian brethren.  What spirit is guiding the words of those who are intent on making their view known by hurting others with their words.   :(  We all need to keep 1 Corinthians 13 in our minds before we write or speak.  Let's all pray that we can do as Jesus would have done and not be found wanting when He comes again.

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 04:37:14 PM »

Christined, it would be wonderful if being an elderly person conferred sainthood, or at least elevated christian character status on an individual.

Unfortunately, that is not the case.

Take Bernie Madoff, for instance.  He was lauded as a businessman, stockbroker, investment adviser, and financier in the past before the real truth came out.

I'm sure you can think of many example where elderly people, even respected and educated ones, have proved to not command respect.

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2012, 04:44:41 PM »

I personally cannot respect a woman, elderly or not, in the position of role model to younger women who wears a t-shirt that says “A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle”.

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2012, 06:08:31 PM »

Unfortunately, we sometimes tend to find excuses to disrespect those who we disagree with, excuses based on rumors, jokes, etc. I could easily do the same to Wilson. I have heard a few things. But that doesn't make it right, does it. All it would accomplish is to make me look the fool. Wilson, and most other top leaders and scholars of the SDA church over the past 50 years learned at her feet. She is recognized, even by those who disagree with her on this point, as one of the intellectual giants of Adventism. I embarrassed for those who are disrespecting and mocking her. It in no way reduces her, but it certainly reduces them.

SDAminister

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2012, 06:26:29 PM »

Exactly.

In addition, the person who authored that so-called "open letter" did not have the courage to write undeer his name.

Gregory, yesterday you said, " Continue to post here under a penname and I will never challenge you for your posting here."

Why do you continue to chide me about this?

The open letter was from SDAminister to Dr. Leona Running.

Dedication

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2012, 07:10:22 PM »

I personally cannot respect a woman, elderly or not, in the position of role model to younger women who wears a t-shirt that says “A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle”.

You have no idea what triggered that?
People do things for a joke.
Loena has been single most of her life having been widowed at an early age.
Maybe all those zealous match makers were putting  presure on her to marry some one, but she  chose her career.
Obviously she chose to "go it without a husband" or a man in her life.

Was she going against God's commands?

1 Cor. 7:34   The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please [her] husband. 
7:39   The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord. 
 7:40   But she is happier if she so abide, after my judgment: and I think also that I have the Spirit of God.

What ever the reason -- it's no excuse for "disrespect", for a woman who was every bit a great example of a Christian life.

Gregory

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 02:44:53 AM »

Gregory, yesterday you said, " Continue to post here under a penname and I will never challenge you for your posting here."

Why do you continue to chide me about this?

The open letter was from SDAminister to Dr. Leona Running.

So, did you send her a personal copy of your "open letter," that included your real name and address?  If so, you gave her the opportunity to respond directly to you and rebut statements that you made.

If you did, you acted responsibility. 

If you did not, I will suggest that your "open letter" was  to the world at large and not to Dr. Running.  In this case, Dr. Running would have no chance to respond to you and rebut what you stated.  In fact, if you did not, it is likely that she will never know of what you said about her.  An open letter to her, hardly if it is not likely that she will ever be able to respond.

Even in the seccular world at large it is thought that anyone who makes the comments that you made should be willing to take responsibility for such by being open about who they are.

In the Christian world it is expected that such statements should be made openly to that person involvled which includes an openness as to who you are.  No, I do not challenge you Christianity.  I am simply saying that I believe you have failed to live up that the standards.

My experience with abusive people is that they are often cowards who  prey on people who either will not or can not stand up to them.  They often hide their abuse behind false fronts that protect them from taking responsibility for their actions.  I do not claim that you are abusive.  You may be one of the kindest persons on Earth, as is Dr. Running.  I simply do not know who and what you are.   While in reality you may be kind and responsible, by making your comments, hiding behind a posting name that shields you from responsibility for your comments you are acting in an abusive manner toward an almost 96 year-old woman deserves better.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up