Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 3ABN Hard Sell in the Churches  (Read 15203 times)

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
3ABN Hard Sell in the Churches
« on: June 15, 2008, 10:22:12 PM »

I had the opportunity to be in church a few weeks ago to witness 3ABN operatives sponsoring a drive to "target" (an appropriate choice of words by 3ABN) that city in an attempt to add 3ABN to the local cable.

The captive audience at the 11:00 service was instructed in stern tones to fill out the cards being passed out to them in the appropriate manner, and then to turn them in immediately.  It was explained that the cards had to be mailed out in small batches at a time in order to be effective.

Meanwhile, some of the familiar faces from 3ABN programming were being seen on the large screen behind the speakers.

I was interested, to say the least, to see the methods 3ABN was using, and am wondering if any of you have seen similar types of promotional presentations in the churches by 3ABN.

"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

Ozzie

Re: 3ABN Hard Sell in the Churches
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 11:03:59 PM »

I had the opportunity to be in church a few weeks ago to witness 3ABN operatives sponsoring a drive to "target" (an appropriate choice of words by 3ABN) that city in an attempt to add 3ABN to the local cable.

The captive audience at the 11:00 service was instructed in stern tones to fill out the cards being passed out to them in the appropriate manner, and then to turn them in immediately.  It was explained that the cards had to be mailed out in small batches at a time in order to be effective.

Meanwhile, some of the familiar faces from 3ABN programming were being seen on the large screen behind the speakers.

I was interested, to say the least, to see the methods 3ABN was using, and am wondering if any of you have seen similar types of promotional presentations in the churches by 3ABN.

In other words, people were being INTIMIDATED into signing the cards??

I remember as a child, that was how the Catholic Church got pledges out of parishioners. No time to discuss as a family. Just do as you're told?

I can't seem to reconcile such a practice with what Jesus would do.
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.

Johann

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 11:42:06 PM »

It somehow reminds of the plans 3ABN had for the daily bus service from the General Conference Session 2005 to the 3ABN plant.

Habanero

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 01:40:51 AM »

Is it possible that 3ABN is attempting to deceive the cable operators?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 07:26:57 AM by Habanero »

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 02:10:23 AM »

That sounds very likely, Habanero.

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 02:57:50 AM »

It somehow reminds of the plans 3ABN had for the daily bus service from the General Conference Session 2005 to the 3ABN plant.

Can you tell us more about these plans 3ABN had for the daily bus service, Johann?

Johann

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 04:23:13 AM »

Can you tell us more about these plans 3ABN had for the daily bus service, Johann?

I'll have to check the "files" to see where I have the documentary.

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 10:26:33 AM »

Waiting to hear more about it.

calvin

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 11:37:32 AM »

This was not my experience.  I found nothing threatening or intimidating in 3ABN’s approach to soliciting my local church help in getting their programming on the local Cox Cable affiliate in Omaha, Nebraska.  Actually we solicited 3ABN when I was the Personal Ministries leader in my church three years ago to lead a campaign to bring 3ABN to Omaha. I contacted 3ABN to inquire the best way to go about this.   They sent a video explaining the post card writing campaign they recommended.  We showed the video one Sabbath and followed through for several Sabbaths having members write the postcards and sent them to the TV station, we also got other area churches to participate too.

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 11:44:29 AM »

I'm glad you had a better experience than I did, Calvin.

I have been informed that the 3ABN marketing department used to be more careful and diplomatic in how they came across than perhaps they are now.

GrandmaNettie

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 01:03:46 PM »

I'm glad you had a better experience than I did, Calvin.

I have been informed that the 3ABN marketing department used to be more careful and diplomatic in how they came across than perhaps they are now.

In your experience of a few weeks ago, Artiste, were the "operatives" actual representatives sent from 3abn to come to the church to do the marketing?  My experience has been that church members contact 3abn and then run the campaigns themselves, as Calvin experienced.
??? ?? ??? ?? ????

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 02:21:21 PM »

The "operatives" were church members who appeared to be reading from a script given them by the marketing director of 3ABN.

christined

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 07:57:00 AM »

Several years ago a member in our church was doing a write in campaign to get 3ABN on cable in our area.  We were told what to write but not when.  It never happened. 

calvin

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 01:49:43 PM »

There is one thing that I think 3ABN was unreasonable about. They expected the church to continue the letter writing campaign and to promote it every Sabbath indefinitely - for months on end.  I explained to them that the church had other priorities and other methods for evangelism that did not include promoting 3ABN.

Sam

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 06:28:44 PM »

The "operatives" were church members who appeared to be reading from a script given them by the marketing director of 3ABN.

question.  Of course you don't have to answer.  Do you know anyone, up close and personal, that works for 3abn?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up